Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2011, 02:53 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by exrench View Post
The plumbing for a water softener would be a nightmare otherwise you would end up drinking softened water which is not wise,while a whole house RO system would be huge and not very practical for an RV application.
Um.. why is drinking softened water 'not wise'? Many, many homes have whole house softeners, including mine..
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Um.. why is drinking softened water 'not wise'? Many, many homes have whole house softeners, including mine..
Hi Midniteoyl,
I have had soft water at home for bathing and laundry for a long time and was told never to drink it. I have an RO water system for drinking. Here is some information for you. Soft Water - It's Not For Drinking
Old 02-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Thats advertising propaganda. And mostly wrong..So are the places that say there are 'massive amounts' of salt put into the water by a softener..To say that ignores hows a softener works. Ever notice these people are the same ones trying to sell you something else?

I'm wondering if there is good, hard info on softened water being bad.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
That's it, thanks for the assist.

Has anyone tried it. The description seems to be very similar to all the other more expensive ones. Also, does anyone know if these types of water softeners can be transported from CG to CG laying down on their side? I know they need to be standing upright while in use but I don't think I have any place to transport one standing up.

Thanks again for the helping hand on the Link.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Looking at this page; Softener Installation Directions it looks like it has a resin trap and can be stored on its side. In fact, it says that as long as the cap is on, you can tip it on its side to drain the water.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #20
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
...Sorry I don't know how to do the neat clickable links so many Posters use.

Wagonmaster2
So you can do it yourself in the future -

Type a word or phrase you want to use to describe your link. Highlight that word or phrase and click the chain symbol at the top of the reply box. Copy and paste the web address into the blank on the screen that pops up. Click OK.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:55 AM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
You can also just copy/paste the URL in the reply box.. 99% of the time, the web page's title will show as opposed to an ugly link.

Here's and example using this pages URL:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/wate...tml#post787706
Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #22

exrench,

I have a whole house RO system on my MH. It is not hugh, takes less room the small softeners and is very practical for an RV. You must not be up to date on RO systems.

Jim
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
exrench,

I have a whole house RO system on my MH. It is not hugh, takes less room the small softeners and is very practical for an RV. You must not be up to date on RO systems.

Jim
Hi Jim,

Are you saying that you have a combination RO/Water Softner system? It it an e water system? Please tell us about it. I have an RO system and a water softner at home and the RO system is slow to generate. I want soft water for my MH but would also like RO.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:55 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardy1000 View Post
Hi Jim,

Are you saying that you have a combination RO/Water Softner system? It it an e water system? Please tell us about it. I have an RO system and a water softner at home and the RO system is slow to generate. I want soft water for my MH but would also like RO.
In my winter home I have both a softener and RO. The softener is whole house and the RO supplies water to the refrigerator and drinking water faucet after passing through the softener.

In my MH I have a RO system that supplies all the water used in my RV, including shower and kitchen sink. This system includes a 125# pump which boosts the pressure for greater efficiency. I get 1 gal of RO water for about .75 gal of waste water. The RO water is directed to my fresh water holding tank and then delivered as needed with my MH water pump. If you wash clothes or some other high water usage device it requires constant operation of the RO system to keep up with the usage. This is no big deal. I have never checked the delivery rate of the system because it has never been a problem.

As you can see, the RV setup would not be practical in a home system because it would require a large holding tank and a pump. But, you don't need a softener in the RV with a RO system.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I've been using the FloPur 8000 for over three years and love it. Uses 1 lb of regular table salt poured into the top to regenerate and makes approximately 800 gallons of soft water per cycle. I've been using soft water in the S&B for 40 years with no ill effects. RV Water Softener2
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
So you can do it yourself in the future -

Type a word or phrase you want to use to describe your link. Highlight that word or phrase and click the chain symbol at the top of the reply box. Copy and paste the web address into the blank on the screen that pops up. Click OK.
Really appreciate the explanation but I've never learned the art of Copy and Paste. Which is the "chain symbol"? You're dealing with a real Computer Dummy here but I'm managing to pick up a little bit more information everytime you experts attempt to explain something to me. This 73 year old mind doesn't grasp all this new technology very fast. Anything mechanical, yes, but otherwise I'm vertually lost. Thanks for the attempts.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
In my winter home I have both a softener and RO. The softener is whole house and the RO supplies water to the refrigerator and drinking water faucet after passing through the softener.

In my MH I have a RO system that supplies all the water used in my RV, including shower and kitchen sink. This system includes a 125# pump which boosts the pressure for greater efficiency. I get 1 gal of RO water for about .75 gal of waste water. The RO water is directed to my fresh water holding tank and then delivered as needed with my MH water pump. If you wash clothes or some other high water usage device it requires constant operation of the RO system to keep up with the usage. This is no big deal. I have never checked the delivery rate of the system because it has never been a problem.

As you can see, the RV setup would not be practical in a home system because it would require a large holding tank and a pump. But, you don't need a softener in the RV with a RO system.

Jim E
Thanks Jim appriciate it.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 AM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm using a Water-on-the-go system. Uses normal table salt. I buy the cheapest salt I can find. Takes one can every couple of weeks. Used it for 4 years so far and still produces wonderfully soft water.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote