Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Water tank

I am a new class A owner I want to bleach my water tank but cannot find where to put the bleach and water. This is a 2001 Rexhall 3650 anyone have a suggestion
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #2

Some pour the bleach in the city water fill hose. You don't need much. We have been RVing for 25 years and have never bleach our fresh water tank. The chemicals in the freshwater should be all you need.
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #3

I have a pre whole house filter in line from the city water valve.

I remove the element and put a little disinfectant in then fill with water to
Dilute.

Screw the canister on and fill the fresh wzter tank.

Or run it through the house system.

I have also used a small funnel and , after draining the hose backwards away from the coach.
Place the funnel in the hose end that attaches to the water valve from the supply.

And added a little disinfectant. Screw the hose on the spicket and turn on.

Directing the water to the house or tank.

Look over your system and think it through.
There are several ways to do the job on every coach.

Good luck.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 02:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the responses the reason for the question was city water isn't in our area and I wasn't sure how long this coach had been stored.
Big O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:08 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've never done that so can't advise you. Just noticed you are kinda new here and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:10 AM   #6

Yes I just put bleach in hose. I Cut recommended dose in half as the bleach was concentrated/ultra. Had valve to fill , no built in filter.I dont recall there being ultra bleach in 95.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:14 AM   #7

If you do not have a gravity fill port for your fresh water tank ....

1/4 cup household bleach per 15 gal

figure out needed amount based on fresh water tank capacity

Connect wtaer hose to City Water Inlet
Pour required amount into other end of hose...connect to spigot and turn water on
Fill fresh water tank FULL

Shut off spigot, disconnect hose at City Water Inlet...flush/rinse hose if needed

Remove any filters
TUrn on water pump and flush bleach solution thru each faucet (hot.cold sides) showers, toilet, washing machine, low point drains etc

Let sit over night and then drain flush system to remove bleach solution

Only time I ever sanitize is when buying new/used to flush system OR if questionable water source was used.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #8

Easiest way is this. I’m sure your rig has a gravity fill inlet. It’s going to be a little door on the side of the rig, open it and a there will be a cap covering the fill inlet to your fresh water tank. You need to know the tank capacity, if you don’t, use a flow meter and fill the tank until it overflows. Once you know the tank capacity do this:

Combine one gallon of water and 1⁄4 cup of household bleach. Use one gallon of solution for every 15 gallons of tank capacity or multiply tank capacity (in gallons) by 0.13. The result is the amount (in ounces) of household bleach to add to the fresh water tank.

Place the water heater bypass valves to the Bypass position. This ensures the disinfecting solution does not enter the water heater.

Locate the hot and cold low point drains. These are generally located in the water service center. Red is hot and blue is cold. Open both caps/valves then open the kitchen faucet to release any vacuum. Close the kitchen faucet and close caps/valves when finished draining.

Remove any water filters if equipped.

Use a gallon water jug mixed with correct amount of bleach and carefully pour the solution into the fresh water tank using the gravity fill inlet. It will usually be necessary to use a funnel. Finish filling the tank completely with water using a hose.

Drive around the block to mix up the solution.

Turn on the water pump. Open each faucet in turn until a distinct bleach odor is present. Do not forget the hot water, tub and shower faucets.

Allow the system to stand for at least 6 hours (overnight is best)

Drain the system and refill tank with water. Turn on water pump and open all faucets until no chlorine bleach smell or taste is left in the water system. This may require multiple flushes. Once the presence of bleach is completely gone the tank and system is sanitized and ready for use.

Don’t forget to turn the hot water heater bypass back on and you should drain and flush the water heater as well.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #9

One additional thought here is if you have an Aqua-Hot or similar hot water system that uses a heating coil for the diesel burner then it is a copper coil. Free chlorine dissolves copper and high pH bleach will scale if you have hard water.

For those two reasons I use peroxide and have for the past 60 or so years
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I Cut recommended dose in half as the bleach was concentrated/ultra. Had valve to fill , no built in filter.I dont recall there being ultra bleach in 95.

Don't cut it in half, In fact, don't cut it at all. Clorox Ultra is 6% sodium hypochlorite vs 5.25% for the regular Clorox - nowhere near twice the strength. Don't over-think the sanitizing process - a little extra strength is fine.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water