Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #1

Watts linkage

has any one installed the watts linkage ? what are your experiences and what wsa the cost for the parts and installetaion?
Roving Itali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #2

Watts linkage is probably over kill for a RV chassis.

A pan hard bar should be all you need.

Richard
Old 07-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Itali View Post
has any one installed the watts linkage ? what are your experiences and what wsa the cost for the parts and installetaion?

What coach?

What chassis???
Old 07-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post

Richard
It is actually a very common upgrade on older Monacos.
Old 07-28-2021, 01:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
It is actually a very common upgrade on older Monacos.
Can you lead us to a manufacture of Watts Linkage for older Monacos?

Richard
Old 07-28-2021, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Richard

I disagree with that. The Panhard rod's problem is that it needs to be long in relation to the vertical travel of the axle. This is difficult due to the narrow frame rails on an RV chassis with it's dual rear wheels. If it can't be long, then it will move the axle laterally, leading to much greater wear on the leaf spring bushings.

Given these constraints, the watts linkage is a very good solution for axle lateral location. It's drawback is that it needs 5 pivot points, while the Panhard rod needs only 2. However owing to the geometry conflicts of the Panhard rod, it's pivot points are usually rubber bushings, while the Watts linkage doesn't have those, and can use bearings.

So it's a more complex solution, but a better one. Whether it is worth doing depends on how much more expensive it is.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Can you lead us to a manufacture of Watts Linkage for older Monacos?

Richard
Monacowatts.com if the link works!
mrc4921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:09 PM   #8
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/mon...on-249622.html

Every thing you could possibly want on the Watts link on the Monaco/HR chassis is here. It has been developed and is being produced. I have one on the front and rear of my 2007 HR Endeavor.

The best improvement of the RR8R chassis is changing to an adjustable TRW steering box. IF you have a Sheppard they are bullet proof but cannot be adjusted nor can they be rebuilt to make them much less sloppy.

The TRW will team your beast and the the Watts Links will tighten them up even more.

The change for the TRW is 12-1500 or so depending on weather you do it yourself or pay someone. I did mine in my RV parking spot. I also installed both Watts Links.

The Monaco Watts are nothing like the wimpy one shown in the picture previous to this post. No offense. The Watts links for the Monacos are incredibly well built and heavy duty.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:15 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
I knew about the TRW upgrade but never got around to it. The previous owner of mine had HWH ActiveAir put on it, and it drove like a charm. The guy who bought mine said he had driven several that day and did not like the way any of them drove. If I had kept it, the TRW was my next upgrade.

I never got under mine and looked, the PO might have done it. I had a massive stack of receipts but did not find anything for a new steering gear. Doesn't mean he didn't do it though.

The receipt for HWW Active air was just under $10k.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
I disagree with that. The Panhard rod's problem is that it needs to be long in relation to the vertical travel of the axle. This is difficult due to the narrow frame rails on an RV chassis with it's dual rear wheels. If it can't be long, then it will move the axle laterally, leading to much greater wear on the leaf spring bushings.

Given these constraints, the watts linkage is a very good solution for axle lateral location. It's drawback is that it needs 5 pivot points, while the Panhard rod needs only 2. However owing to the geometry conflicts of the Panhard rod, it's pivot points are usually rubber bushings, while the Watts linkage doesn't have those, and can use bearings.

So it's a more complex solution, but a better one. Whether it is worth doing depends on how much more expensive it is.
So you have a Watts Linkage on your RV?

Richard
Old 07-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #11

I didn't see what year Dynasty my 95 Signature was equipped with TRW steering box. You can find pics to easily identify both.There's also crossbars available. If you read and chime into the dedicated thread it's still active with folks the develop the system, as well as what individual parts/combo steps will make most bang for buck.
My coach with 24.5. tires drives pretty well , but I would like to add watts link and cross bar upgrade.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 12:36 PM   #12

Quote:
So you have a Watts Linkage on your RV?
Richard

Not yet. I've had one on on my 79 Mazda RX-7, and I've had a Panhard Rod on my 79 Lincoln Town Coupe, and they both worked well, the Panhard Rod on the Lincoln being way longer than could fit on the F-53.

However it's because the Panhard Rod couldn't be long enough that I don't have one on the F-53. Certainly my F-53, and I suspect most people's have old spring bushings that are pretty much worn out. In the case of my rear ones, Winnebago thought so little about the likelyhood of ever replacing these that they placed baggage compartments so close to the bushing bolts that removing the bolts would require holes cut in the baggage compartment walls, and then plates fitted to cover the holes after the bolts were replaced.

I discovered that, when I thought that if I replaced the spring bushings, I might find much less need for Panhard rods or Watt's linkages. The accelerated wear of the bushings with a Panhard rod that is too short, is just not acceptable. When I bought my Winnebago, There was a loud clanging noise from the back over bumps. This turned out to be completely absent rear sway bar bushings. There were some melted remnants nearby.

But now that retirement has happened.................. it's probably time I got round to it.
mpaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 04:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Itali View Post
I have, what is the year model of your Dynasty?
Old 08-04-2021, 05:38 PM   #14

I didn't know they had Watts links for RV's. Nice. But I think overkill for me. My F53 has a bit of wiggle when towing and I think a simpler track bar will be good enough for what I do.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote