Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #1

watts per day

I'm planning on buying an RV--either a 32' or 34'--and moving to "Slab City", CA. It gets very hot down there in the summertime--how watts per day can I be expecting to use? i.e., how often will I have to run the generator?

I am planning on "facing" the RV with 2" thick panels of polystyrene and covering it up (with vent holes (don't worry!)--this should cut down on the amount of time the A/C would need to run.
djconklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

Unless you are already a desert rat, your chance of making it through a summer in that area without shore power is just about nill! Running the generator for 24/7 is what it would take for most people, and that gets expensive.

Many of the locals sleep on the roof of their RV trying to get a little breeze on those close to 90-100 degree nights.

Those panels could help a little during the day (but it's so how you won't notice), but sultry nights cannot be escaped except by aircon.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That is a big DEPENDS. If you have 2 six volt deep cycle batteries for the house, limit 12v light use, run the 12v ceiling or Fan Tastic vent several hours a day, you could go 48hrs without running the genny. If you have an inverter, watch lots of TV, run other 110v appliances, then maybe 24 hrs. Of course that's just the 12v system. AC is going to be strickly genny or shore.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #4

When we built a house we used 2" thick panels of polyureathane--they were so good that if you put your hand on it then within a minute you'd feel your body heat coming back at you because it couldn't penetrate. These panels have an even higher rating and they have a "silver" layer facing one side (have it face the outside).

I figured if I switch the lighting to LED's and for half the year or so I don't need to run the A/C at all then I shouldn't need much power.

>you could go 48hrs without running the genny

This gets the closest to what I wanted to know. So, to fully charge the batteries, how long would I have to run the generator?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #5

>Running the generator for 24/7 is what it would take for most people, and that gets expensive.

Yep! I'm toying with the ideas of setting up a dumping station, collecting the methane and using that for power.

>Many of the locals sleep on the roof of their RV trying to get a little breeze on those close to 90-100 degree nights.

Decades ago I was out in the desert with my cousin collecting mice for his biology doctorate. One night we slept in sleeping bags, in the tent, fully clothed and nearly froze to death!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by djconklin

>you could go 48hrs without running the genny

This gets the closest to what I wanted to know. So, to fully charge the batteries, how long would I have to run the generator?
I replaced all lights with LED as well as the 2 old CRT TVs with 12v LED. We have no inverter and no need for one. The wife uses a 12v CPAP 8 hrs every night. We go 48hrs + before the two 6v GC batts reach 50% discharge (12.0v). Since during that time the genny is run briefly for micro and hair dryer, that adds a bit more time.

If you have a 3 stage charger which puts out 14+v, the genny should bring the batts up to 90% charged in and hour or so. I never fully charge them boondocking. Once the charger drops to 13.6v it takes much longer to fully charge.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote