Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

wavy side walls

Have any of you ever have side wall pull away from aluminum frame and how do you repair this. I did see a Monaco that had revited side back to frame and painted to match I wasnt impressed any Ideas.
I was told by a rep from Monaco that my coach a 2003 HR Endeavor is a hung wall system and not to worry about it. What do you guys think?
xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Oh, I was expecting a post about tires. Do you mean like delamination? How about posting some pics so we can see what you're dealing with.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The first question is why did the bond let loose? Water intrusion is the most likely reason, and, if so, must be fixed first. Simple glue failure is a possibility, but not common in late model RVs.

I don't know any way of re-gluing the wall to the frame without cutting the wall apart, so rivets or screws may be the only option. Or just living with it - it's probably only a cosmetic problem.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Unless you can't live without it, better pass. Too many really nice clean units available.
Delamination = death...
free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
it sounds like it is delaminating. Call Monaco and ask them if they will replace it at their expense. Delamination is not something that any MH or 5th wheel manufacturer wants wandering around the country for people to see. Some manufacturers are fixing the problem even if the unit is outside of warranty.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #6

If you lightly pound your fist on the waves and it seems like the sides are not firm...WALK AWAY! You are seeing delamination! The glue of the panel has come loose from either water intrusion or very high humidity. More than likely I would assume water damage. It is extremely expensive to fix and may include replacing the wall studs if they are wood. Then there is the black mold problem in there too. Most of these units that have this kind of water damage need to be either rebuilt of sold for scrap!
Again...don't walk RUN AWAY!
BACKDRAFT161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #7

My old girl has more waves than a Mardi Gras parade. Turns out that what I am looking at are actually the structural steel framework of the side walls. Over time the polystyrene used as partial insulation has migrated away from the sidewall leaving the outline of the framework. It she were newer I would worry but, not now as she still serves the intended purpose.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
Have any of you ever have side wall pull away from aluminum frame and how do you repair this. I did see a Monaco that had revited side back to frame and painted to match I wasnt impressed any Ideas.
I was told by a rep from Monaco that my coach a 2003 HR Endeavor is a hung wall system and not to worry about it. What do you guys think?
The Monaco you saw with rivets had aluminum walls and yes monaco/Holiday rambler used a floating wall system at least on the slides I had one and nothing wrong with it.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:17 PM   #9

no the Monaco that I saw riveted was a fiberglass wall. Iguess this was one way to repair it
xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think heat has something to do with it also. I see a very straight line in the fiberglass near the refrigerator. My cooling unit had just been replaced when I bought it , and it almost looks like the fiberglass was fastened to the aluminum frame.

It's very faint, and you have to look hard to see it, but its there. I'm thinking the old cooling unit got too hot, and might have weakened some of the glue. It is all very solid, so I'm not going to worry.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote