Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #1

Wax or?

Wanting to hear voices of experience when it comes to exterior surface treatment. There's always good ole wax - like carnauba. I had a body man tell me once that wax builds up and yellows, particularly on new gelcoat surfaces. Has anyone tried Aerospace 303 Sealant (not the Protectant for vinyl). I've heard some good reports on it. So, anyway, whadyallthink?
CWO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #2

I use 303 on the Diamond Shield and Wash Wax All on the paint. I did do all the bay doors with NuFinish and will try to do the rest of the coach in stages so the coach gets waxed annually.

Retired CW4 here, assume your name reflects rank?
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

I am now a hige fan of the new (ceramic) products. McGuires Advanced is super easy to apply and remove, leaves no white streaks on black plastic trim, and leaves a long lasting smooth finish.
Old 07-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWO5 View Post
Wanting to hear voices of experience when it comes to exterior surface treatment. There's always good ole wax - like carnauba. I had a body man tell me once that wax builds up and yellows, particularly on new gelcoat surfaces. Has anyone tried Aerospace 303 Sealant (not the Protectant for vinyl). I've heard some good reports on it. So, anyway, whadyallthink?

As for wax build, once you wax it the first time I don’t think you will be in a hurry to wax again so no problems putting to much wax on it.LOL
Old 07-07-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think any decent automotive or marine "polish" will work fine, especially since most fiberglass coaches are either painted (full body pint) or sealed with clear coat (and thus "painted"). I have my favorite brands, but so do others. Just about all of them are synthetic these days.

Pure carnuba wax is extremely durable but really arduous to apply and buff out. I don't think it has enough extra benefit to be worth the effort, but its your rV.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #6

Do a search on this forum and you’ll find many threads on this topic.
Old 07-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been using Nufinish for years on the coach and all our other vehicles. It's a polymer, easy on and easy off. Protects finish for a year and always looks great. Also removes oxidation on older vehicles that haven't been waxed for a long time.
curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:14 PM   #8

Same as above post....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtsr View Post
We have been using Nufinish for years on the coach and all our other vehicles. It's a polymer, easy on and easy off. Protects finish for a year and always looks great. Also removes oxidation on older vehicles that haven't been waxed for a long time.

X3

Our coach is stored under cover (no direct sun light). NuFinish pretty much lasts a year. Although I try to "wax" it twice a year. Wash it every outing, 6-8 times a year pre Covid.

Applies easily, is relatively inexpensive. I use 2 tubs per application on a 36' coach. Buy at Walmart.

Best thing is it makes bug removal very easy on the front of coach.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:04 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We use Rejex on ours. I just finished the annual job. We put it on the windshield and all glass as well. Seems to work as well as rainex on glass. It is liquid so easy on and wipe off. It does need 12 hours with no sun or rain to cure which makes it a timing issue, but it is well worth the effort.

When I washed it this spring it still beaded after a year. I do the high part and DW helps get the low part1, still a two day job.

Oil change and grease job already done, genny serviced, as is lubing all hinges and locks , so only thing left is to treat the rubber seals and wx stripping. Maybe later this week.

Interior wise, i just put the Wacko A/C silencer on the bedroom A/C big improvement, and switched a few more lights to led’s. Now just waiting for an opportunity to use the RV.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:18 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use Meguiar's 21 Sealant on the coach body - 303 on tires and entire roof top including shrouds. Some folks are moving to the new ceramic coatings - waiting on reports of its ease of application and durability.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:38 AM   #12

Aero Cosmetics Wash Wax All. Easy and lasts pretty good.
bobmar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:46 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Another ReJex user. I just finished ours from front to back including the windshield. I checked with the makers of DiamondShield and they did not recommend it for their product but do recommend Meguairs Cleaner Wax. 303 Aerospace is for rubber products, not a painted surface.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:31 PM   #14

I used to annually hand wax whatever RV we had and it took hours.

I stumbled across Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic spray on wax last summer and I've been converted.

Wash and rinse the RV. Spray on the Meguiars and hose it off. Yep, that's it.

Since I'm doing a 32' MH, I buy 2 or 3 bottles, shake them well and dump 'em into a pump up sprayer. Makes the application even easier.

It still beads up water now after being coated last October.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote