RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 PM   #1

Wax valve update

As I mentioned in an earlier thread a couple of weeks ago my side radiator coach was running at 220 degrees even though the fan was running but it didnít seem to be really moving a lot of air. I bought a new old stock adjustable sauer wax valve on eBay for $110 . I removed the 2 hoses from the fan and had my hose shop make up a new 3/8Ē hose 8Ē longer and the 1/4Ē hose 11Ē longer $65 for both. I also got an 1/8Ē Parker needle valve to connect in line with the 1/4Ē hose at the fan $35. All hoses and valve rated for 5,000 lbs pressure. I set the wax valve temperature at about 205 degrees (4.5 turns out from seat) and checked in a pot of water on the kitchen stove to be sure of the setting. Hardest part of the job was tightening the wax valve in the fitting at the top of the radiator. Ran the engine no fan closed the 1/8Ē valve and boy that is a lot more air then before. The valve can be set to let the fan idle rather then completely shut off or if the wax valve fails open it can be used to run the fan full bore or anywhere in between . Not bad for only $200 and a little time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #2
TR4

Roy1,

Thatís a good price. I spent about $380- for my conversion. This includes the wax valve, new hoses, fittings and weld on bung. I used the same wax valve that Source uses.

Bill
Old 03-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Roy1,

Thatís a good price. I spent about $380- for my conversion. This includes the wax valve, new hoses, fittings and weld on bung. I used the same wax valve that Source uses.

Bill
Bill
That is still a lot less then the $700 I thought I was going to have to pay. I saw the valve you are using listed for a bit over $400 which I considered but took the cheaper way out and reset the Allen screw to the higher temperature as it really is the same valve. you likely got your valve from whitehouse? I really like the inline needle valve so I can mess with the fan speed. Did you add a pusher fan to blow on the a/c condenser when the air is turned on or does the hydraulic fan move enough air when it is idleing. I have 2 1/2 to 3 ď space between the outer mesh screen and the a/c condenser so I could find a slimline fan too fit I guess iíll Figure it out when the weather warms up.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:21 PM   #4

Bill
Looked back on your earlier post . I see you moved your condenser away from the radiator and used designated fans. A lot of extra work but still the best way to go. If need be I could do likewise as I am a retired a/c mechanic but running a new discharge hose from the compressor to the front would be necessary as the existing liquid line would be too small.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #5
TR4

Roy1,

I ran a new line to the front when I did the change. I originality looked at installing the fans on the radiator stack, but didnít have enough space. Yes I purchased my wax valve from Whitehouse. Only after I purchased it, I found the $110- Ebay valve. Canít beat the price, look forward to your follow up.

Bill
Old 09-09-2018, 10:34 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Wax valve

Roy1, can you share the info on the wax valve you used and where you sourced it? I am interested in doing the conversion on my '99 Affinity.
Thanks,
Jim
Aroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroadracer View Post
Roy1, can you share the info on the wax valve you used and where you sourced it? I am interested in doing the conversion on my '99 Affinity.
Thanks,
Jim
I didnít like the way this valve controlled the fan so I ordered one from White House in England only took 2 days delivery. Cost $186 plus $30 fedex. On a long 6% grade with a crv in tow and 95 degrees air temperature the valve is fully closed it is necessary in my case to select 3 gear and keep the engine around 2200 rpm for max fan speed to maintain less then 220 degrees engine temp.. If you do install the wax valve and new hoses I would suggest putting a little Parker 1/8Ē valve in one of the lines so you can force the fan to run 100% to test the wax valve if you are ever in doubt of itís function or if you really need to bypass the valve.Also I had 2 1/2Ē of space between the side screen and the a/c condenser so I put a fan there to help cool the condenser for the a/c as you donít want to run the engine a/c if the big fan isnít turning. Another way would be to set the Parker valve to run the fan at a reduced rpm.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #8
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
I didnít like the way this valve controlled the fan so I ordered one from White House in England only took 2 days delivery.
Roy1,
What type of problem did you experience with the eBay wax valve?

Iíve been very happy with my White House wax valve, the engine runs at 184 to 188 cruising and 196 on a hard pull. This compares to 182 to 194 cruising and 212 on a hard pull with the electronic controller.

I see only two problems with the wax valve. The first is with the A/C running at cold engine temperatures (fan not running). This has been addressed with the restrictor valve installed. The second problem is with the manifold air intake temperature. A fellow member here had an engine shut down climbing a grade before the engine was up to operating temperature (fan not turning). City buses have a solinoid that turns on the fan when high intake temperatures are sensed. Iím wondering, does the restrictor valve also address the air intake problem?

Bill
Old 09-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Roy1,
What type of problem did you experience with the eBay wax valve?

Iíve been very happy with my White House wax valve, the engine runs at 184 to 188 cruising and 196 on a hard pull. This compares to 182 to 194 cruising and 212 on a hard pull with the electronic controller.

I see only two problems with the wax valve. The first is with the A/C running at cold engine temperatures (fan not running). This has been addressed with the restrictor valve installed. The second problem is with the manifold air intake temperature. A fellow member here had an engine shut down climbing a grade before the engine was up to operating temperature (fan not turning). City buses have a solinoid that turns on the fan when high intake temperatures are sensed. Iím wondering, does the restrictor valve also address the air intake proble

Bill
If my engine were to shut down due to high intake temperature I would add a solenoid and temperature control for sure. I found with the ebay wax valve it controlled the fan speed just fine I could see the engine temperature fluctuate in a normal manner. Until I started climbing a mountain 6% grade on a hot day. I had to pull over and close the Parker valve as the wax valve wasnít closing 100%. They are currently selling them on e bay for $190 that is more then a brand new one from White House . The ebay ones are probably 20 or more years old. I wish I could get my engine to run as cool as yours but living in a mountain state sure seems to prevent that as I have to climb a mountain no matter which way I go. The radiator is clean on the outside and the thermostat was spotless when I replaced it. The coach only has 20,000 miles on it so I assume the radiator should be in good shape as there wasnít any crud whatsoever in the system when I flushed it. Let me know if you hear any more cases of manifold heating problems my engine is warmed up before I start climbing so far. I will be heading south this winter so maybe not in that case.

Tags
valve