Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #1

Ways to get mobile satellite cable into motorhome

Never had a mobile satellite antenna before and was wondering how different classA motorhome owners get the cable into the interior. Thank you.
Jill n Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2021, 08:25 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Depends on the coach. Some have a cable input that's prepped for satellite usage. If the cable input is split to multiple TVs, it won't work, but some have it where the cable input can be disconnected at the main TV and used for satellite input.

We ran dedicated cables in our motorhomes. I would run a dedicated coax from the basement compartment to the TV cabinet and either put a faceplate with a barrel connector or just leave the cable long enough to reach the typical dish spot. Then I would coil it up in the storage compartment when not in use. The route from the basement compartment to the TV cabinet will be different for every RV. Getting from outside to inside has, unfortunately, never been a problem. There are lots of holes in most RVs. Look for where other wires or plumbing go into or out of the RV. There will be something. Worst case, you can drill a hole, but I've never had to.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:27 PM   #3

Our 2019 Tiffin Open Road has a “Tripod” connection in the wet bay to connect the portable/mobil antenna and an A/B switch inside to distribute that signal.
W.J. Demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine go through the back of the front fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170822_105226.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	336172  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:05 AM   #5

https://www.amazon.com/Ancable-Exten...6437058&sr=8-5
Old 07-16-2021, 06:36 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My original configuration for terrestrial cable TV was an exterior coax connection to a switch box near the front TV to send CG analog cable to the TVs and VCR. No splitters or such in the run. The button box and VCR have since been removed and the coach set up for digital TV and DVD player. The coax is now dedicated for the satellite receiver to carry out antenna connection. Even if the CG has cable I'll still use the subscription sat service.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:41 AM   #7

I see a lot of cables for portable units passed through the slide out seals.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:52 PM   #8

Wats to get mobile satellite cable into motorhome

Thanks to all who responded. I'm thinking about each suggestion.
Jill n Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:09 PM   #9

In my discovery 40 G I snaked a coax from the battery bay into the cabinet in the bedroom and that’s where I was able to attach to one receiver box. The front receiver box was connected with a coax I’d slip thru the slide for the kitchen slide. Every coach is different. Just follow the paths the ants and mice use to get in your coach.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 11:22 PM   #10

We used a portable satellite dish for several years. What worked perfect for my situation was to drill a hole up through the floor right above the front right tire. Made sure to come up right next to the wall and under the dash so that the coax wouldn't be seen. Ran the cable up through the window trim that went from the dash up to the overhead cabinet where the tv is mounted.

Underneath, left about two foot of the coax with male connector that was easy to connect to the dish's cable via a barrel female connector. There just happens to be a crossmember near that I am able to store that end in when not in use. Of course I made sure to seal around the coax where it goes through the hole. Nice clean install with none of the coax showing.
Old 07-17-2021, 05:36 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wish there was more info on sat installs. I have a Fleetwood 2021 flair and is prepped for,sat tv. Are most install their antenna on the roof or ground mount. And which of the 3 TVs get connected. Out dish only does 2.
Cliebold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, motor, motorhome, satellite