Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We use Google maps/nav on a Samsung Tab8 tablet and a smartphone. Waze is integrated into Google - and is what provides route advice, traffic warnings, initiates rerouting, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM   #16

I have an incredible copilot and we use Google Maps, Waze, CoPilot RV and a Garmin RV770 LMT-S. All running at the same time.

The Garmin 770 is the least reliable and by far the most cumbersome to use. It's typically the last piece of equipment we enter our route into. Most times it's just a dash ornament these days.

CoPilot RV is easy to use and keeps us out of trouble.

Google Maps is super easy to use and is really useful for planning routes and fuel stops the evening before our trips.

Waze is easy to use and helps us stay informed when traffic slows. We don't typically detour from our route based on a Waze recommendation.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 03:33 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
I use a Garmin 770RV for the MH because that’s what it’s designed for and I use Waze, right beside the GPS, for traffic. My traveling combo and works great. Out West, there are areas that Waze will not work..no signal, but the GPS always works. Been there.
This is exactly what we do as well. Anytime there is traffic and waze wants to reroute us, the passenger gets out the truckers map and checks the roads waze wants us to go to. Will also use google maps in this instance as well.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
This is exactly what we do as well. Anytime there is traffic and waze wants to reroute us, the passenger gets out the truckers map and checks the roads waze wants us to go to. Will also use google maps in this instance as well.
My Rand McNally RVND 7730 and my CB radio is all I use, both work whether or not I have cellular service, and I always have a current Truckers Road Atlas nearby. For me, waze is a waste of time and distracting social media platform(Owned by Google and advertised as such)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTTransplant View Post
I used Waze in the Los Angeles area for commuting. It is handy for urban or crowded areas, but the roads it routed me down would not be very good for a 40’ RV and toad! I also spend a lot of time in areas without cell service (canyons, mountains, just empty spaces), so any mapping program I use must be GPS based, not cell based. Sounds like the OP lives in nice flat coastal area, so it works for him. Wouldn’t be my choice for my situation though.
Actually we live in "coastal" Oklahoma and have used WAZE from Florida through Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana back to our home base and for trips to Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, and Texas. We have never been unable to access Waze.

We are currently boondocking on a horse and cattle ranch in rural central Texas. Waze got us here on a very isolated farm to market road. But I digress.

Happy travels.

LL
lightsluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:53 PM   #20

If your going South on the freeway, fellow Wazer's going North will alert you to speedtraps before you get there.(Not that we're speeding in a RV). It's also an especially nice app if your walking through a city. It will show all the business's on the street at your location. Very true it sucks battery big time.
Kraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:02 AM   #21

how does it effect your data plan? First time we used it never thought about that problem.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I've known about Waze for a couple years now, and use it at times to understand the police activities. It is a tremendous battery and cellular data hog for your phone. Unlike a truckers/RV GPS, Waze has no knowledge of your height and weight, and can easily get you into trouble.

I would never get rid of GPS, as many times in traveling we run into no cell coverage areas.....standalone GPS (or downloaded/printed maps) are the only guidance available.

My Garmin GPS will update thru my phone (if available) on route delays, and offer route alternatives, so to me it's the best of both worlds. Works fine with no network coverage, works better if network is available.

Goodluck with a single Waze solution, if that's the risk you want to take. Keep a lookout for low clearances, common in the northeast.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
I am a Wazer (about 5 years now) and I love the fact that it uses real time traffic conditions in its calculation of the best route between point a and b and relay road information. Having said that, there are some caveats.

First (and probably most important for RVers), the app is designed for passenger cars. It's going to route you sometimes on local roads and make quick turns that might not be a good idea for an RVer.

Second, you need to look at the available routes because sometimes Waze will automatically pick a route that isn't the shortest distance wise but is only 1-2 minutes faster than a route that is much shorter.

Third, you should periodically have a passenger re-enter the route and have it recalculate the route. This is because what was the fastest route might not be the current fastest route. I can't tell you the number of times that I'll be driving along and make a turn that I know is a short cut and it will suddenly take time off of the estimate.

Fourth, it requires data to calculate a route. This can be either cellular or WiFi but you need data to download the maps. It will also download the maps for the route but if you have to get off the route, it will no longer have coverage of a new route. So you have to use cellular data to update a route. There have been times that I have not been able to use it as a tool due to lack of cellular service (and I have Verizon).

Fifth, as others have mentioned, it uses a lot of juice so make sure you have it plugged into a 2 amp USB outlet to keep your phone fully charged. Without power my phone would last about 3-4 hours with the display always on. On a 1 amp plug it would barely last 8 hours. On a 2 amp setting it will stay fully charged all day.

Sixth, it can and does crash. This can happen at any time, usually when you are at some critical juncture and you're left wondering where to go. Don't worry, when it comes back up it will recalculate your route (as long as data is available) but you're left in the dark for a few minutes.

I love Waze and rely on it for all my trips. It's a great tool that will also alert you to things on the road, including where to can find police if you need them, but it's only a tool. I also use a paper map (always!) and have a regular GPS that I use for RV navigation.

Just my 2˘ and someone who has been using the app for a while.
Well Said - Very good summation - Use it as my go to but just not ready to get rid of a GPS and the Paper map
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 07:26 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
My Rand McNally RVND 7730 and my CB radio is all I use, both work whether or not I have cellular service, and I always have a current Truckers Road Atlas nearby. For me, waze is a waste of time and distracting social media platform(Owned by Google and advertised as such)
I am close to being the same as what you use, I have the RM and Good Sam GPS, the CB has helped a lot on wrecks and traffic.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:42 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsluvr View Post
Actually we live in "coastal" Oklahoma and have used WAZE from Florida through Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana back to our home base and for trips to Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, and Texas. We have never been unable to access Waze.

We are currently boondocking on a horse and cattle ranch in rural central Texas. Waze got us here on a very isolated farm to market road. But I digress.

Happy travels.

LL
“Flat” is the operative word you should concentrate on. Lots of places I go have absolutely no cell signal for 20-50 miles. Missouri Ozarks, significant parts of I-15, I-40, and I-80 (among others) have no cell service in the mountainous regions. I am also a canoeist, and very few of the places we camp for paddling have cell service. Fairly obvious I guess since they are in valleys or canyons. Some of the no cell areas are even fairly flat but just so unpopulated there isn’t a good enough cost benefit to the cell providers to put up towers (Wyoming, Montana, and Utah are prime examples).

I just warn people who are more flatlanders that they may not have the services they are used to when they hit the empty spots and mountains in the west.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:07 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I have the DW use it when getting to a larger city for real time traffic info and more up to date highway info instead of the 10 year old data in the installed gps in our Navigator.

Do not use it often enough to notice the amount of data usage or power.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps