Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #1

We are new to rving

Does anyone​ have any tips on everything. We have a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar dp Spartan. On storing, cleaning inside and outside, driving. Just anything would be helpful 😊🤗 thanks in advance
Newmar_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar_guy View Post
Does anyone​ have any tips on anything. We have a 1999 Newmar Dutchstar dp Spartan. On storing, cleaning inside and outside, driving. Just anything would be helpful [emoji4][emoji847] thanks in advance

Do you mean tips on everything? [emoji50]
Wbago97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbago97 View Post
Do you mean tips on everything? [emoji50]
Yes.😂 Whoops
Old 04-17-2017, 08:13 PM   #4

Did you buy recently from an owner?
Old 04-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #5
WDW

Multiple forums, thousands of topics and all educational. Read. Watch YouTube, join FMCA. Don't stress, have fun. There is no RV Police.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbago97 View Post
Did you buy recently from an owner?

Yes
Old 04-17-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Look at all the maintenance records and see what has been done and when. Get a certified RV mobile tech, and have them go over everything. His time spent looking for items is money well spent. Inspect hoses, belts and tires.

Welcome to the Newmar family.

Happy Trails!!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Look at all the maintenance records and see what has been done and when. Get a certified RV mobile tech, and have them go over everything. His time spent looking for items is money well spent. Inspect hoses, belts and tires.

Welcome to the Newmar family.

Happy Trails!!!

Ok. Thanks
Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar_guy View Post
Yes
I bought a 1997 Winnebago Adventurer last year and I learned as I went along. I replaced the roof AC motors and hot water heater check valves. At least I don't live in a climate where I have to winterize.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #10

I bought a 98 Dutch Star last September. Learn your air system. Alot of people that have Diesel motorhomes don't think about the expansive air system on the rig. Changing filters in your air dryer didn't seem to be done on my rig. Also, how to properly retract jacks and air up the coach was a learning curve for me. After reading ALOT of post on this forum, I have learned to crank the coach and slowly bring the jacks up (with up arrows) while the bags are airing up. Once jacks are off the ground a little then hit store. Make sure your toilet seals are good and not leaking. Had to rebuild mine. It's been a learning curve coming from a gasser to Diesel.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:16 PM   #11

While driving always watch your rear wheels. You never, ever want to run over a curb as you go around a corner. Maybe only like 9in, but up top it will flex like over a foot, then crash back down. Never a good thing 😞
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by David D71 View Post
I bought a 98 Dutch Star last September. Learn your air system. Alot of people that have Diesel motorhomes don't think about the expansive air system on the rig. Changing filters in your air dryer didn't seem to be done on my rig. Also, how to properly retract jacks and air up the coach was a learning curve for me. After reading ALOT of post on this forum, I have learned to crank the coach and slowly bring the jacks up (with up arrows) while the bags are airing up. Once jacks are off the ground a little then hit store. Make sure your toilet seals are good and not leaking. Had to rebuild mine. It's been a learning curve coming from a gasser to Diesel.

It's a big change for us to we had a 2013 forest river Solera class c
Old 04-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #13

I would recommend going to the Newmar Owner's forum and read through the posts there. Maybe do a search for your model and limit it to that at first.
Try here:
Newmar Owner's Forum
There are so many good forums here. Pick a topic and just go through the forum. It's a great resource.
PS Don't forget the Stickies at the beginning of each forum. These are popular important topics for that specific forum
Enjoy
Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #14

From everything I have read on this forum and others when buying a used RV making sure the tires are not beyond their life in years is very, very important. That you cannot go by tread left. A tire can look great but be very unsafe if it is too old.
Notlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rving