Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2021, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Our first coach was a 32' gasser. It was nice for weekend getaways, but after two weeks that 32' became very small. Just be sure that you know what living in such a confined space will be like when you have a week of rainy or bad weather preventing you from doing anything outside. I think your choice to go with a gas rig is wise for your intended use. I suggest you look at newer 36' models with two or more slides. You will be amazed with the difference in livable space. Newer would also have updated appliances and features. It might also be easier to resell when you no longer need it or you might enjoy it enough to keep it for getaways.

For $22k?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2021, 08:08 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been told that "floor plan" is the #1 reason for buying any coach.
If you are going to live in it for 6 months + And drive it cross country to do so, then up to date "mechanical s" must run a close second.
I would hate to get stuck in the middle of Kansas and find out the part I needed for a 1999 motor home is no longer available.

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 12:16 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why we passed

The coach was pretty doggy and had leaked around 2 fans. Generator didn't work, missing the mattress in the back bedroom and the tires needed replacing.
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:20 AM   #18

Good luck in your search! I know that when we were looking, we saw quite a few coaches that were in pretty sad shape. What we saw made us change our mind about how much to spend, and decided to go with a newer rig. So, keep looking and as I mentioned before, consider all your options and what works best for your budget.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 05:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelah View Post
The coach was pretty doggy and had leaked around 2 fans. Generator didn't work, missing the mattress in the back bedroom and the tires needed replacing.
Many good comments above that should help in your continued search.
Missing a mattress just saved the need to toss out a used mattress, actually that was a benefit!
Good call in the end, go with your gut.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:15 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim58 View Post
For $22k?
$22,000 is just the base price. After they repaired or replaced the generator that didn't work, repaired the leaks around the two ceiling fans, and replaced all six tires, the total would be close to $30,000. Probably other hidden issues as well. And after the added expense, it's still just 32' long and as they mentioned, "pretty doggy". In todays market place, you get just what you pay for.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:36 AM   #21

Love our Lapalma

We bought our first MH last Oct. Fit our finances and level of experience. Gas is cheaper maint. over all. Do it yourself kind of coach. Chevy 8.1 will get you across country with any small toad. Went with a 36ft. Plenty of roam with 2 slides. Though 3 would be better for long term stays. Put 3500 miles on first trip. Blew out the leveler line on the front right before getting home. 120 dollar fix at NAPA. Had less that 40 thousand on the speedo. Get's in and out of most places pretty easy. Can pick up in the mid 30's all over the 2000-2006 range. Mine does have a few add on's for ride quality. See quite a few out there on a google search. Happy Hunting
Old 08-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Another One

Thank you for all the continuing info!

Any thought on this on?

https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...363492994.html
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 03:17 PM   #23

Quote:

Any thought on this on?

Sounds nice to me. Not sure where you are; is it possible to go see it? If it seems good for your purposes, get an inspector to check it out. Appears clean and good from the ad.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:11 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Just some general advice. In the year and price range you are looking at you should be very good at performing your own repairs.
I wish you the best of luck.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:47 AM   #25

Quote:

Any thought on this on?

It sounds promising and it does look to be a well cared for unit. But in my experience, ads can be very misleading. On one rig we went to see, it was obvious that the pics of the interior shown on the ad were not of the interior of the MH for sale. So, it really boils down to first having a conversation with the owner by phone and get an idea of service records available, what items have been replaced, age of tires, etc. Then, you have to decide if you want to go see it. Also, you may want to run a VIN check before making any decision to inspect it.

Then it boils down to checking all the repair records, and thoroughly inspecting the unit and taking it for a test drive. What's critical here is to take your time and be as thorough as possible. At that point, you may want to see if the price is negotiable and if you can agree on a deal, but make it conditional on having the unit inspected. This can be tricky....finding a good rv inspector that can provide a good report on the "house" and the chassis. If you really feel that the house is free of any water damage and all systems are working, you could have the rig inspected at a truck service center where they should be able to inspect the Ford chassis.

"Motorhome Comparison Guide" by Eaton lists Coachmen gas motorhomes as either above average or economy for units from 2006 onward. But when looking at older rigs, the more important point is the condition. As I said earlier, you just have to be prepared for the fact that as rigs get older, components will fail so you have to be in a position to be able to repair or replace as needed.

Good luck and I hope you will keep us posted if you decide to check it out.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:55 PM   #26

ask if it’s ok, and Hire an inspector unless your comfortable and knowledgeable enough to do it yourself. That’s if your going to make a deposit.
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 03:06 PM   #27

Wow, a gasser huh?! I believe the Diesel Pusher with the engine compression/Jake Brake is the ONLY way to go. In fact evey single friend, but one, who bought a gas rig ended up trading in (usually at a loss) for a Diesel Pusher for the better quality, torque, performance and so much more. Please, if you can afford to pay more, you will get more, go Diesel and stop the Trade Up Syndrome TUS!!!!!!
Doc Burry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:01 PM   #28

Open every cabinet and look closely for water damage.. if you see even a slight sag, put your fingers up to the edge of the ceiling and check for moisture
Terradriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas