Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
We Decided a Gasser is the Best Way to Go

Since we are purchasing primarily to get us across country and live near our daughter for about 6 months, we've decided that it would be best to get a gas rig. We're going to look at this one tomorrow. Any opinions?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...8-861fb08f6e76
Lelah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2021, 08:12 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't be afraid to get underneath it and check things for leaks. Try out each system,,,,water heater, furnace, A/C., test the coach/house and chassis batteries. etc. TIRES (tread and age)

+++++

And the roof, leak check the roof with a hose!
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:26 PM   #3

Inspect the ceiling closely for signs of water leaks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #4

1999 has the 265 HP V-10. Starting in 2000 or sometimes 2001 (depending on the actual manufacture date of the chassis) you get 305 HP due to the PI (Performance Improved) heads. That's a huge difference. You'll need it. Starting in 2005/6 you get 362 HP (3 valve vs 2).

I have the 305 HP engine (with a 5 Star tuner) and I still wish I would have held out for the 3 valve (and more transmission gears). Never enough power in the gassers.

75K miles is high for these coaches. Lots of them around in the 30-50k range.
deddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
That is old for a gas rig (my personal opinion), but it could be appropriate if everything works in the house and mechanically, with no water leaks. Since you mainly want it to live in for 6 months or so; if it can get you to your destination and back, it may work. Do check the age of the tires as a lot of people say that tires don't last more than 7 years or so (someone else can be more precise on the age). You can Google and get info on how to read the tire info on the sidewall of the tires.
Don't be afraid to ask us any specific questions once you have seen a MH.
Wish you well in finding an appropriate motorhome.
wog099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:30 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will be sure to check all the things you mentioned.
Thank you so much Jacjetlag, Ray,IN, deddy, and Wade & Debby!!!!!
Old 08-14-2021, 09:13 AM   #7

Since the floor is new, check it out very carefully to see if there are any soft spots which could be an indication of water damage. Also, as you look in each storage compartment, look carefully at the underside of the floor.

Take your time and check every square inch you have access to!

I'd also suggest that when buying a rig this old, make sure you have the ability to cover some problems that could develop such as an AC unit failing, or the refrigerator, water heater etc.

If there is any doubt, replace the tires. It's certainly better to replace the tires than get stuck covering damage caused by a blowout or tire failure.

Have you considered other RV options such as a travel trailer and truck? Are you planning to tow a car behind the MH? If so, that is another expense whether you tow it four down or on a dolly. It's my feeling that for someone just starting out, a used trailer and truck can be a better investment, especially if it allows you to buy a trailer that isn't nearly as old as the MH that you are considering. And, it gives you the option of upgrading the trailer or truck as needed/desired. For a longer stay, I know that we could have done it easily when we owned a 28' Sunline trailer.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I went from the 305 V10 to the 362 it actually had less performance due to a increase of over 4000 lbs. Every hill was a challenge. The interior was about the same. Finally ended up with a Diesel Coach.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:17 AM   #9

Our first coach was a 32' gasser. It was nice for weekend getaways, but after two weeks that 32' became very small. Just be sure that you know what living in such a confined space will be like when you have a week of rainy or bad weather preventing you from doing anything outside. I think your choice to go with a gas rig is wise for your intended use. I suggest you look at newer 36' models with two or more slides. You will be amazed with the difference in livable space. Newer would also have updated appliances and features. It might also be easier to resell when you no longer need it or you might enjoy it enough to keep it for getaways.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelah View Post
Since we are purchasing primarily to get us across country and live near our daughter for about 6 months, we've decided that it would be best to get a gas rig. We're going to look at this one tomorrow. Any opinions?

The 75,000 miles works out to an average 4,500 miles a year means it's been used , which for Motorhomes and boats is the best thing for them.

If the coach comes with service records , review them carefully as to what has been done and when it was done.

If no records are available , change ALL FLUIDS .
Engine oil , anti-freeze coolant , transmission fluid , brake fluid , power steering fluid , rear differential oil and generator oil . Inspect all hoses and replace if necessary . Replace Serpentine Belt . Have tires and brakes inspected by a reputable tire shop .

Flush and sanitize the fresh water tank .

Fill the gray water and black water tanks half full and check for leaks , then take the coach to a dump station and check that the drain valves operate smoothly and don't leak.

Run all the systems , furnace , stove top and oven , hot water tank ( don't run it for too long if the tank has no water in it , just long enough for the propane burner to ignite ) , turn on the refrigerator and confirm cooling , run both dash air conditioning and roof top air conditioning .

Run generator for a minimum 15 minutes ( 30 minutes is better ) with a load .

Check all exterior and interior lighting .

Check for power at all the interior and exterior 110v electrical outlets .

I know , this is quite a lengthy list , but it will provide you with a baseline on the services and condition of the systems.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lelah View Post

If you mean you're going to live in it for 6 months one time than I guess it's just whatever you decide.
If you mean 6 months a year than I think you should get the biggest MH you can afford. That may or may not mean a DP based on your budget/maintenance funds.
Good luck.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:20 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you everyone! We decided against this one.
Old 08-14-2021, 11:09 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
We’ve had our 32 for over 6 years. Spent 4 months at a time in CA and AZ and multi week trips in BC, AB, YT, AK, WA, OR and NWT and never felt cramped, FWIW.
Old 08-15-2021, 07:49 PM   #14

Im curious why this rig was passed up and what the OP thought was a better deal at $22K.

Tags
gas