Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2017, 04:49 AM   #1

We Finally Did It...Overwhelming

We finally did it, we purchased a new to us 2007 Fleetwood American Tradition 42 coach with a 400 ISL. The dealer had one of their service techs do our walk thru and it was marginal at best. They were very busy and he didn't impress me he knew much about this coach because he was not able to give me all the answers I wanted to hear.....my bad.

Unit had a giant stack of owners manuals and browsing thru the top inch or so thought we had enough........my bad. Next 4 inches were for lawn mowers, pressure washers, pellet grills, etc.

But the coach drives well, has all new 2017 Toyo tires, windshield, satellite dish, headlights and Bose sound system along with other items.

Engine was serviced with oil change and filter, and all 3 fuel filters but they couldn't confirm if the air dryer canister was inspected or changed. So my first newbie question. Where and how do I bleed the air system to remove the spin on dryer canister? Bleed the air tanks for condensation? Chassis is a Spartan Liberty. I asked the techs and salesman and they had no idea. Next, where is a source to buy a replacement lock for the large basement door? Won't lock with the key...........my bad again.

BTW, we did have an oil analysis performed pre purchase and got a written confirmation from lab the everything was normal. Also got the Hydro Hot system serviced with a kit and fluids.

We had travel trailers,5th wheels and a small Class A gas before, but this is a whole new ballgame for us. So many switches and redundant switches. Learning curve will be steep until we can obtain owners manuals for the various components. Any information regarding the air system servicing will be greatly appreciated. I apologize in advance if any of these issues have been covered before and would just like the link if possible. Thanks
Wanderer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2017, 05:01 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations!

One of your best bets might be the Fleetwood forum:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/

I would think that you might want to post each major question separately, with a clear subject. And if you add your rig make/model/year to your signature, web users can see it & you won’t have to type it in each time. Instructions for how to do that are here:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f62/forum...ics-49134.html

—> post #29 for signature :-)

Enjoy your new coach!
Stripe34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:19 AM   #3

Thank you. As soon as it gets light out, I'll take a few photos and description, etc. I have a LOT to learn and sure won't be afraid to ask, just as long as I'm not reopening past well hashed out issues. Only been a iRV2 member since earlier this year, but that was more of a read and try to learn proposition and way before this huge step up into a much larger and more complicated coach. Want to go full time within the next 1-2 years, depending on my learning curve and getting rid of all the stuff we have accumulated over the past 25 years. The fun begins............................
Wanderer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congrats on the new to you DP. As already recommended, you can likely get a lot of good info from other owners on the Fleetwood forum.

A few other suggestions. Most dealers do the minimum service to get you out the door. On a 10 year old coach, I would suggest adding some additional items to your list of things to check and/or service. When we bought our 2007 coach in 2013, I took it to a Cummins Coach Care shop that I trusted and had them do a full chassis check/service which included:

1. air dryer service
2. change transmission fluid (Transynd) and filters.
3. change rear differential fluid
4. lube chassis
5. check engine coolant....my SCA's were getting weak so I had a full drain, flush and refill with OAT extended life coolant.
6. new serpentine belt on engine
7. new air filter
8. new hydraulic fluid filter

I later (a second visit) had them do a valve lash adjustment (top end service) and they changed the coalescent filter on my ISL.

I did my own generator service....fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter and new coolant.

An alternative on the tranny is to do a fluid analysis. I recently had my Transynd analyzed to determine if I needed to do another change (it has been four years since last change). Analysis revealed the fluid was cleaner than factory spec and in great shape so I'm leaving it alone for another year. I used JG Lubricant Services who is a member and contributor to IRV2. It is owned by a former Allison fluids engineer.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Congrats on the new to you DP. As already recommended, you can likely get a lot of good info from other owners on the Fleetwood forum.

A few other suggestions. Most dealers do the minimum service to get you out the door. On a 10 year old coach, I would suggest adding some additional items to your list of things to check and/or service. When we bought our 2007 coach in 2013, I took it to a Cummins Coach Care shop that I trusted and had them do a full chassis check/service which included:

1. air dryer service
2. change transmission fluid (Transynd) and filters.
3. change rear differential fluid
4. lube chassis
5. check engine coolant....my SCA's were getting weak so I had a full drain, flush and refill with OAT extended life coolant.
6. new serpentine belt on engine
7. new air filter
8. new hydraulic fluid filter

I later (a second visit) had them do a valve lash adjustment (top end service) and they changed the coalescent filter on my ISL.

I did my own generator service....fuel filter, air filter, oil and filter and new coolant.

An alternative on the tranny is to do a fluid analysis. I recently had my Transynd analyzed to determine if I needed to do another change (it has been four years since last change). Analysis revealed the fluid was cleaner than factory spec and in great shape so I'm leaving it alone for another year. I used JG Lubricant Services who is a member and contributor to IRV2. It is owned by a former Allison fluids engineer.
This very good advice. I would add also to check ALL rubber hoses since they too are 10yrs. old. I just found a cooling line in my engine bay this weekend that was routed around a corner rubbing on a metal bracket and had worn 1/2 way through. I replaced it, added additional shielding and rerouted it so it won't rub again. Then I spent another hour inspecting very hose in the engine bay.

Doing what smlranger suggested, will give you a complete new base line for future PM scheduling. Be sure to create a log and record everything you do from this point forward. It will help you remember what you did and when you last did it. Also record where you bought parts, part #'s, contact info., pricing etc. This info will also help tremendously when you decide to sell it.

400ISL nice engine. That's what I'd want if I had a DP.

Glad you got all the manuals too. Many are not as fortunate. And all new Toyo's. SWEET.

I know you're really happy that you finally found YOUR coach.

Take good care of her and Good luck my friend.

BTW...do yourself and us a favor by putting your MH and Toad information into your signature
This will really help in all your future posts, so you won't have to type it in each time.
You do this by:
1) Going to the top of this page and click the top left tab named “User CP”
2) Look at the menu on the left and scroll down to “Settings & Options” and click “Edit Signature”
3) In that text box type all the information about your MH, Year, model, length, mileage, any aftermarket extras installed, your toad and so on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbing-hose-1.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	180727   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbing-hose-2.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	180728  

Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbing-hose-3.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	180729   Click image for larger version

Name:	identifying-hose-area.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	180730  

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:08 AM   #6

Question Doing something wrong

Followed recommendations to go to User CP. Followed directions there. Updated basic coach info and profile. Added 1 photo. Edit Signature stated max 3 lines, so I edited data. Saved. Added 1 photo. Saved. Got message Upload Failed. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer23 View Post
Followed recommendations to go to User CP. Followed directions there. Updated basic coach info and profile. Added 1 photo. Edit Signature stated max 3 lines, so I edited data. Saved. Added 1 photo. Saved. Got message Upload Failed. Obviously I'm doing something wrong.
I see your signature now so you did that part right. Yes you are limited to 3 lines unless you become a IRV2 Supporter. Then you get additional space.

If you want to add a picture of your coach, go to the same area but this time Settings & Options / Avatar / scroll to the bottom to Custom Avatar and add picture there from your computer.

NOTE: Be sure to upload a .jpg photo. It's the easiest format to upload.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:19 AM   #8

Thumbs up

Thank you. At least I'm still not too old to learn.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer23 View Post
Thank you. At least I'm still not too old to learn.
As follow up to Marjoa, please consider becoming an IRV2 supporter - it is ridiculously cheap, and now that you own your own RV, you will be using this fantastic resource even more! Best deal on the internet
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 04:30 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
As follow up to Marjoa, please consider becoming an IRV2 supporter - it is ridiculously cheap, and now that you own your own RV, you will be using this fantastic resource even more! Best deal on the internet
Not meaning to hijack this thread, how much does it cost to be a supporter?
Old 10-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Your upload of your signature photo failed because only iRV2 Supporters can upload signature photos. It's $15.03/yr auto-renewal subscription to become a Supporter. If you go to User CP > Account upgrades, you can see a list of what you get (minus the mdse discount & profile albums - those aren't available) for the bucks.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote