Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2017, 08:28 PM   #1

We Got Home, Anyway

The continuing saga............

Left this morning about 11:00 to run the 120 miles to go pick up our new pride and joy, our 1992 Pace Arrow Vision. At the appointed hour, we met with the PO and had him go over as many details as he could recall. Remember, he inherited it from his Dad 8 years ago, and put maybe 600 miles on it up to now.

After an hour and a half of explanations of where everything was and what it did, we headed for home. First stop was the gas station and our first surprise.....a 75 gallon gas tank. The PO only put in $40 of gas at a time, and had no idea what the capacity was. He thought it was 35 gallons.

Now, we are off like a herd of turtles.....at around 50 to 60 MPH because of the STRONG cross winds. Linda drove first, since she is a truck driver by profession and is used to driving in those conditions, when she has to. About 40 miles in, she called me and said the Check Engine light had come on, and she lost the Water Temp gauge. There was no "HOT" smell, though. Oh, oh.......

She pulled off at the first opportunity, which happened to be in a convenience store parking lot, to take a look. In the meantime I bought a couple gallons of anti freeze mix and prepared for the worst.

Surprise #2...the AF level was almost full at the neck, but the catch tank was empty. I topped both off, checked the oil and trans fluid. All showed nominal. When she restarted the engine, the Check Engine light stayed dark, and we took off again. After another 40 miles, the wind let up a little and she "let" me drive for a shift. Absolutely no problems, other than an occasional 40 MPH wind gust blowing me around, and an obvious misalignment of the front end. We will address that with the new tires.....

As we go closer to home, and encountered more traffic, I was trying to be more careful, and sure enough as we got to within 10 miles of home, the Check Engine light came on again, just as I was exiting the Interstate. We made a run for it and just as we got to the driveway, the light went off.

Once we got it situated in the driveway(thanks to Linda, because I cant back up to save my life) I rechecked all the fluid levels and cant find anything that wasn't "normal".

The thing is old enough, it can't throw a code, so we are just going to have to experiment until we discover WHY the light comes on and deal with it then. UNLESS............

Ya'll got any ideas?
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 08:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Could check temp sensor/s on engine, and thermostat?
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:52 PM   #3

Sensors get old, could be just too sensitive. I'd consider changing the sensor for the light, and possibly the thermostat. Make sure the belts are tight and the fan clutch is working properly.

Charles
Old 04-08-2017, 09:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Could be caused by a sticky or sluggish EGR valve. I had a 1990 Chevrolet Pickup that would throw the light on once in awhile but never used oil. Mechanic checked it and said drive it don't worry about it, so I did with no problems other than looking at that light.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Good point also.

Heck it wouldn't hurt to replace all of these little dodads, not expensive.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:43 PM   #6

Before throwing money at the problem, start with the simple, inexpensive items. Check wire connections for good contact, clean as necessary. FWIW, I once had an intermittent issue with a gauge, turned out to be a broken wire with insulation intact. I finally realized I should have checked wire continuity, AFTER I had moved the wire and gauge began working.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:19 AM   #7

What chassis is under the motor home ? I had a F53 on our 97 Bounder and had similar issues. Found the thermostat was bad and would stick. When taking it out it was half full of "blue stuff" that the PO used when replacing it. Ours would start throwing codes when in traffic or in the mountains. After the new thermostat with a proper gasket all was fine. I would do a full maintenance on it regardless, check fan, belts, wires.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:48 AM   #8

Could it be the fuel cap. Many cars will have check engine light come on when fuel cap not making a good seal. Another possible easy fix. Good luck
Old 04-09-2017, 06:12 AM   #9

Do the full maintenance, and if all else fails -- cover that "check engine" light with black electrical tape.

Full maintenance is everything mentioned above plus, plugs, wires, filters (including fuel) and all fluids. At this point I would also recommend replacing the fuel pump based on your storytelling about the PO.

After all of this work, you should have confidence in the rig without that annoying light.

Welcome to the world of class a money hole.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:26 AM   #10

Good suggestion. Here's what I did: While we had it pulled off the road originally, and while I was refilling the coolant at the radiator, I stuck my finger in the neck of the radiator to see how hot it was. It was surprisingly quite cool Well, hot, but not uncomfortably so. I knew we weren't having an overheating problem as I first suspected.

Must be something else. Thanks for the response, tho.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:33 AM   #11

Definitely doing a full service this week. Got my mechanic coming over to do what I can't. At this point I am suspecting the gauge more than anything else. BUT, that's what I have the second set of eyes for!
Old 04-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindan n Jim View Post
Good suggestion. Here's what I did: While we had it pulled off the road originally, and while I was refilling the coolant at the radiator, I stuck my finger in the neck of the radiator to see how hot it was. It was surprisingly quite cool Well, hot, but not uncomfortably so. I knew we weren't having an overheating problem as I first suspected.

Must be something else. Thanks for the response, tho.
That sounds like the thermostat may be stuck or the radiator plugged--- otherwise the radiator coolant would be HOT.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #13

At this point, all I know is that it's the Ford 460 engine. '92 Fleetwood Pace Arrow.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:55 AM   #14

check engine light

The engine contol system is called OBD and can be checked with a scan tool,or if you are a do it your selfer they are not expensive.
ronster is offline   Reply With Quote