Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Weekend Maintenance

Decided to knock some maintenance items off my checklist on Saturday. I took over the servicing of my parent's 2005 Gulf Stream Crescendo since they have a hard time keeping up with it. It also saves them money and earns me a few extra bucks.

Here's the DP:

Goals for the day were new generator oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, coolant, and clean the spark arrestor as well as new oil and filter for the Cat C7, primary and secondary fuel filters, main engine air filter, air dryer filter, anode rod for the HWH, and installing a Deltran Battery Tender.

Here's what I started out with:

Here are some old and new of the air filters:

My dad said he never had the air filter changed because the filter minder always read that it was ok. Here's proof of why these filters need to be changed regardless of the filter minder reading or the amount of miles driven:

These things definitely start coming apart due to age. I'm just hoping no permanent damage has been done.

Items still on my list to complete are servicing the transmission and rear axle, cleaning the radiator/CAC, changing the coolant, and mounting a satellite on the roof. Anything else you guys think may need to be addressed?
ccash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Wow! From the looks of that air filter, he's lucky he didn't trash a turbo. Good on you for taking over the maintennance. It's a labor of love, and you are on it. Keep a lagbook of what you do, dates and mileage. Some things should be serviced based on time vs mileage.

I serviced my gen last Fall, did chassis lube, and a few other things. 2 weeks ago, replaced wornout roll-bar bushings, did some chassis detailing, stripped, painted and lubed the entry step, and a last week, changed engine oil, filter, and fuel filter. Over the last couple days, I have stripped and re-painted the engine oil pan, starter motor, and rear chassis frame.

Like painting a bridge; it's never finished. He's lucky to have you taking care of this stuff.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #3

I'm afraid to think of what would happen if pieces of that air filter got sucked into the intake.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #4

Keep your fingers crossed, hopefully you have saved him a major repair catching that air filter when you did. To bad he did not ask for your help sooner.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #5

Take a sample of the oil when you drain it & send for testing. Under $30 and you will know if any damage was done.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #6

CaptBill - I noticed that his anti roll-bar bushings were worn out as well. Where did you get yours?

I appreciate all of the feedback from you guys. I enjoy doing this stuff.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #7

Wow, thanks for sharing the pic of the air filter. That is bad. I think your parents "may" have dodged a bullet. Have the oil checked. Since you just serviced it and likely didn't take a proper sample, you will need to likely run the coach per the analysis companies recommendation.

Obviously the filter was FILTHY and came apart under the vacuum created by the turbo. Throw that filter minder away!!! My concern would be that you have essentially been running that engine with NO air filter for some time now. How long? Who knows. Heck, you have likely even pulled in the large particulates the filter did catch before it failed.

Scary. I would be freaked out if that was my engine.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccash View Post
Decided to knock some maintenance items off my checklist on Saturday. I took over the servicing of my parent's 2005 Gulf Stream Crescendo since they have a hard time keeping up with it. It also saves them money and earns me a few extra bucks.

Here's the DP:

Goals for the day were new generator oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, coolant, and clean the spark arrestor as well as new oil and filter for the Cat C7, primary and secondary fuel filters, main engine air filter, air dryer filter, anode rod for the HWH, and installing a Deltran Battery Tender.

Here's what I started out with:

Here are some old and new of the air filters:

My dad said he never had the air filter changed because the filter minder always read that it was ok. Here's proof of why these filters need to be changed regardless of the filter minder reading or the amount of miles driven:

These things definitely start coming apart due to age. I'm just hoping no permanent damage has been done.

Items still on my list to complete are servicing the transmission and rear axle, cleaning the radiator/CAC, changing the coolant, and mounting a satellite on the roof. Anything else you guys think may need to be addressed?
Can you give us a clue as to how old the filter is and when it went into service? Was the a FARR filter? Freightliner uses them and the filter glue breaks down after two years in use according to them.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccash View Post
CaptBill - I noticed that his anti roll-bar bushings were worn out as well. Where did you get yours?

I appreciate all of the feedback from you guys. I enjoy doing this stuff.
I ordered them directly from Freightliner, Gaffney, PARTS dept. (855)-253-0412; press "2" for parts related calls. They we .81/ea, plus the FedEx shipping charge, which it the only way they can ship (any) parts.

You will need a pipe wrench to rototate the roll bar down a bit, for the threaded end of the connect rod to clear the chassis. Be careful to not snap off the threaded ends of the rods. You'll need to hold those (about 1" dia) rods with a small pipe wrench, as you remove the bolt.

Recommend you wire brush the threads clean of any rust, and spray with PB Blaster (etc) and let the sit a while. Mine came off without a hitch, but I have read where some others weren't so lucky, and they broke.

You maybe should remove the old parts before you order the new ones. Have the last 6 digita of the chassis s/n ready for the parts tech, and he will look up your exact chassis build info, and provide all the p/n for what you need, and will then take you CC number, and put the order through.

Got mine in 2 days. GREAT people to deal with, there in Gaffney.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
May want to look at the intake of the turbo with an inspection mirror to see if there is anything on the blades of the wheel. Did you use the correct coolant for diesel engines?

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post
Wow, thanks for sharing the pic of the air filter. That is bad. .......
Obviously the filter was FILTHY and came apart under the vacuum created by the turbo. Throw that filter minder away!!! My concern would be that you have essentially been running that engine with NO air filter for some time now. How long? Who knows. Heck, you have likely even pulled in the large particulates the filter did catch before it failed.
Scary. .....
Chris
X2 on that.

Has Anyone look for a better designed filter than the factory ones? The ones that fit my Ford have a Steel cap & steel screen on the outside AND inside of the filter media.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

That filter was probably 5-6+ years old and was a FARR. Thanks for the extra info CaptBill! I will do that, chboone. I used normal Prestone 50/50 mix for the generator. I wasn't aware that it needed any special type.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
May want to look at the intake of the turbo with an inspection mirror to see if there is anything on the blades of the wheel. Did you use the correct coolant for diesel engines?

Chuck
I think Chuck has a good idea here. I would guess it isn't likely you will find anything, my curiosity would force me to take a look if this were my engine. I would also go ahead and throw a giant label on the filter and mark it up with a sharpie with an expiration date. Definitely chunks on filter wadding were pulled in, and likely passed right through the "Caterpillar air pump".
Perhaps it is my retentive ways, but finding this would be heartbreaking for me as an owner. I would now second guess my engine. I might even call CAT and ask for advice.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
If it did in fact send parts of the filter into the turbo(and I think that is what happened)
and the turbo passed it I bet you will find it in the CAC that will reduce air flow in it.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance