Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
So, what about if it's a really slow day and no commercial truckers are waiting in, so none of them will be inconvenienced. If I wanted to get a "free" weigh-in, would they scowl at me?

You have to understand how the scales work. Weighing a truck is pass/fail. If the axle maximum is 20,000 lbs, the scale officer just wants to know if the truck is under or over. He doesn't care if its 19,000 lbs or 9,000 - either way it's legal. He isn't going to take the time to get exact weights for you, not because he's being a jerk - it's not what they are geared to do.
OTOH, if the axle is over weight, you can get re-weighed...the citation will have exact axle weights. Nobody seems happy to get their axle weights that way.
DryCreek posted above you asking the same question, they probably wouldn't do exact weights for you.
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtsara View Post
DryCreek posted above you asking the same question, they probably wouldn't do exact weights for you.
I would be happy with just a GCVW and a wave as I passed through. That's all you get passing through the landfill. They have a large LCD display that works sometimes. When it doesn't you have to go and and ask the ladies what your total weight was. They won't do a printout unless you are in one of the garbage trucks they own (they run it on contract).
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
Why is this so hard to understand??
Because different states and countries have different rules! We can't always be aware of all the different state's laws. For instance, I crossed into Canada yesterday. The first sign I saw said "all vehicle with gross weight of over 4900 (I think) kilos must stop in weigh station." I'm paraphrasing and I don't remember the exact weight. I'm in a foreign, to me, country and I see a sign that tells me to stop...I'm stopping! The next one had a sign that said RVs were exempt. Did the first one really want me to stop? Don't know but not taking chances. They didn't stop me and in fact I didn't see anyone. I stopped, saw my weight and drove off.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:56 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
This thread is about Commercial weigh station, not AG ones.....per the OP's question.
The question has been well and truly answered so makes sense to add information on closely related subjects.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
The question has been well and truly answered so makes sense to add information on closely related subjects.
Anything to offer Tony?
Old 06-05-2017, 05:23 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
The DOT has no jurisdiction to prohibit you from driving even a heavy 'passenger or specialty' vehicle thru a state just because you don't have THAT state's special license - you are not a resident of that state, so therefore you don't fall under their 'state specific' license laws.

While the idea of reciprocity certainly covers your drivers license, the DOT in each state certainly covers a LOT more than just your license.

For instance, rules like the allowable length and width of a vehicle, or combination of vehicles. Even seemingly silly items like window tint are State specific and are NOT covered by reciprocity. You conform or you pay the tickets and leave the State until you can comply.

An acquaintance of mine discovered this when he went past an open 'weigh scale' (actually called an "inspection station") and a LEO invited him to stop for a chat. It seems PA's rules say;"Regardless of size, the following vehicles are subject to inspection and weigh station examinations: (1) agriculture vehicles when using public highways; (2) passenger and specialty vehicles towing large trailers; (3) large recreational vehicles, and (4) trucks.". During that chat the LEO also explained another of PA's laws;"No person may drive any motor vehicle with any sunscreening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing, or side window of the vehicle."

In the end all he got was a warning, but the LEO told him if it had been something bigger, like over-length he'd have had a big problem.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:46 AM   #35

For those wanting a four or six position weight and can not get it on a Cat scale because of barriers, call your State Patrol Vehicle Inspection Dept. They carry six portable platform scales for spot checking suspected overloaded trucks. When asked, the WI State Patrol came to my home and we did two weight checks with different tag suspension settings. No charge and they were happy to help. Maybe your state is as accommodating as mine was.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:45 AM   #36

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
An acquaintance of mine discovered this when he went past an open 'weigh scale' (actually called an "inspection station") and a LEO invited him to stop for a chat. It seems PA's rules say;"Regardless of size, the following vehicles are subject to inspection and weigh station examinations: (1) agriculture vehicles when using public highways; (2) passenger and specialty vehicles towing large trailers; (3) large recreational vehicles, and (4) trucks.". During that chat the LEO also explained another of PA's laws;"No person may drive any motor vehicle with any sunscreening device or other material which does not permit a person to see or view the inside of the vehicle through the windshield, side wing, or side window of the vehicle."

In the end all he got was a warning, but the LEO told him if it had been something bigger, like over-length he'd have had a big problem.
I'm curious what your friend was driving at the time -- can you elaborate? I don't recall the signage at Pennsylvania scales, but I've passed many over the years, and never had any idea that they would have wanted me to stop.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
That's potentially dangerous advice.

Numerous State's have reg's that read "passenger or specialty vehicles either in combination (towing a trailer) with GVWR of 10,000 lbs. or more" must stop for weigh scales.

Now that's not to say you won't get away with cruising past them, but then again you might not........
Again, that's commercial vehicle language. If you'll read a little more to gain context you'll likely see that a "passenger or specialty vehicle" is defined as one carrying passengers for hire. The common definition and the legal definition don't always match.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:32 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby Mike View Post
I'm curious what your friend was driving at the time -- can you elaborate? I don't recall the signage at Pennsylvania scales, but I've passed many over the years, and never had any idea that they would have wanted me to stop.

A 32' class A gasser.

I too have driven past many, many times. I guess it's like speeding, you might get away with it for years, or not. I suspect the officers usually have better things to do than look at RV's.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:53 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Weigh Station Stop or Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny285 View Post
Why is this so hard to understand??

Just a guess but maybe because the damage to the road surface is the same if it's an overloaded lorry or it's an overloaded RV?

Equally the family driving along in their car that gets wiped out when something breaks doesn't care if it breaks on an overloaded lorry or an overloaded RV.

I'd say it's actually harder to understand why ALL vehicles over a certain weight shouldn't stop.
ElvistheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:23 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
Again, that's commercial vehicle language. If you'll read a little more to gain context you'll likely see that a "passenger or specialty vehicle" is defined as one carrying passengers for hire. The common definition and the legal definition don't always match.

I don't buy that, by your definition then taxis have to stop at inspection stations?

Further, using the example of Pennsylvania above, their regs say;

"Regardless of size, the following vehicles are subject to inspection and weigh station examinations: (1) agriculture vehicles when using public highways; (2) passenger and specialty vehicles towing large trailers; (3) large recreational vehicles, and (4) trucks."

So then again by your idea only vehicles carrying passengers for hire AND towing a "large trailers" would need to be inspected?
Old 06-06-2017, 07:32 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I think all should just spend the $10 or so to take your loaded RV to the CAT scales and then you know ! There are CAT scales just about everywhere --> https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/
Yes, 4 corner weights are more important for some, but not everyone needs that imho...

And as far as the rules being different and different levels of enforcement, by all means there is differences ! We can always present the outliers as fact or just chill and go with the flow...

Was I highly upset when stopped coming back west from Disneyworld and getting chased down when I crossed the Florida border ? No, we were in a converted cargo van and he just wanted to check for 'contraband' since we didn't stop...
Old 06-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post
The AG inspections like the one on Interstate 8 well east of San Diego stops everyone. Car, motorcycle, RV or rig. There is a similar whole road inspection on S22 North of the city of Octillio heading thru the desert.

As far as weigh stations, unless your being paid to haul something drive right on by.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
On US 19 in FL they made me stop. On 7/21 going Northbound and on 7/31 going Southbound. They did not inspect me, just asked if I was carrying (??? cant recall what). They even had signs saying pickups needed to stop. On the West coast, US 19 is an alternative N/S route to I-75.
I am willing to bet that if you looked around at the fields that you were passing by on those state roads that they were in harvest season. I can totally see LEO stopping anything capable of hauling the harvested goods out of the area. Both to prevent theft and for actual food inspection.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote