Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

Weigh Stations

This question is about Class A's towing enclosed cargo trailers.I have never stopped at a weigh station with my rv, and never had a problem. I just purchased an enclosed cargo trailer, and would like to know if anyone has ever been ticketed for not stopping at a weigh station or Agriculture station, towing an enclosed cargo trailer. I'm not talking about auto carriers or other open trailers, but completely closed cargo trailers, like the kind lawnmower companies use. I live in Florida and emailed the DOT. They responded that I don't have to stop at weigh stations, but I need to check with the agriculture stations. I called agricultural law enforcement, twice, and both times someone read a list to me and said if it wasn't on the list, I have to stop. RV is on the list, cargo trailer is not. Both officials said the list was vague. I will be traveling up the east coast, and I have checked every state, but none, that I can find, say anything about rv's towing a cargo trailer. I guess to be safe I could stop at all of them until they tell me not to bother, but it would be nice to know if anybody else towing a closed trailer has ever had a problem. Trailer is for private use, not commercial.
paul7370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2!
No, do not stop, they are for commercial trucks/drivers only. If you are hauling fruit out of Florida(trailer load) the Agriculture station might want to take a look maybe........
We travel with a enclosed trailer, never stop, even coming up and down through Florida.........
Old 01-20-2016, 06:29 PM   #3

Your last sentence answered your question. Weigh stations are for COMMERCIAL vehicles not private coaches no matter if they are towing a trailer or a toad. Agricultural stations GENERALLY only apply to vehicles hauling agricultural products, or livestock unless otherwise posted. So you are not required to stop at either.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #4

Last fall there was a post on one of the RV forums (I don't remember which one) to the effect that beginning 1 January Texas was requiring all RVs to stop at weigh stations. Since we were headed for Texas right after the first, I asked some questions about the procedure. It seems that this sort of thing comes up every so often.

As I understand the rules, UNLESS you are specifically a commercial vehicle, you don't have to stop at a weigh station. Now, if you travel around the country in your MH selling your hand-made widgets, you ARE a commercial vehicle. If, on the other hand, you are a normal person, just traveling the country in your MH, you are NOT a commercial vehicle. Doesn't matter if the trailer is open or enclosed. Just make sure that the trailer doesn't have anything on it that might make someone think it is a commercial trailer.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 06:43 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Never stop at a weigh station in your MH. You don't have to volunteer for a mess.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:16 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
.i do for nice free weighs they don't care what u weigh they don't know what its suppose to be. On comm trk its on the outside dr. never been turned away alway more then glad to do
Santara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

I do stop occasionally if they are closed as they leave their digital readouts on and it is kind of interesting to see what I weigh.
OregonLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As stated the answer is a big fat "NO".. Even in Texas, we've never had a problem.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonLuvr View Post
I do stop occasionally if they are closed as they leave their digital readouts on and it is kind of interesting to see what I weigh.
Yep, Both WA and OR do that. Went through one a while back, that's how I found out my front axle weighed 18,030#'s. Need to go back and do a more thorough weighing when I have time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #10

CA............
YOU will STOP at Agriculture Stations!!

Course EVERYONE has to because they are set up where you must go thru them to continue travel.

Weigh Stations/AG Stations............unless flow of vehicles must go thru the station then NO you do not have to stop.

1st trip to FL when we were FTng came upon one of them 'stations' up around Old Town. Pulled in ....stopped at the little window and said 'Howdy'
Officer and his cohorts looked at us like a tree full of owls and said...."Git"
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote