Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #1

Weighing the RV - State weigh stations?

I've seen a lot of people saying that knowing your vehicle's weight is important to tire pressure and subsequently handling. I'm leaving in just under two weeks to drive up to NY to get my Newmar, can I stop at any weigh station to get weighed? Is there a charge, or does it vary by state?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2019, 01:28 PM   #2

I don’t know about every state but in Washington and Oregon many times scale display is still functioning even if the weight station is closed. I have weighed my setup many times this way. Keep in mind that the weight may not be correct depending on how your setup is because a lot of them are axle weights only.
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:35 PM   #3

Most highway weigh stations , don't want RVs across the scales .
Best to go to the CAT scales at a truck stop ; you have to pay ; and if you're just picking the rig up , you won't be loaded for travel like you'd be on vacation.
JMHO: Use the GAWRs and the tire manufactures inflation guide , until you can weigh the RV in a loaded for travel situation.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I believe this is for too often overthought. Sure, weigh the rig to make sure you are not over weight for the GVW, the axle and the tires. And make sure you have the right tires for your rig, with enough carrying capacity. But then, I air up the tires to the placard limit (not the sidewall limit) and call it good.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
I believe this is for too often overthought. Sure, weigh the rig to make sure you are not over weight for the GVW, the axle and the tires. And make sure you have the right tires for your rig, with enough carrying capacity. But then, I air up the tires to the placard limit (not the sidewall limit) and call it good.

I do the same. Get the coach weight check in the spring after the winter hibernation and again mid summer when we head out on the two week vacation to ensure I'm under GVWR and GAWR. Tires set to placard numbers.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #6

Here on the west coast as mentioned above the scales are left on when the station is closed I don't know about your state but if the station is open they'll not be happy to see a rv in line. The cat scales will take you but they do charge per weigh but it's not much per pass.
2002guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #7

Loaded up and leaving for your trip is not necessarily the best time to weigh. When I had my Class C, I was surprized to learn that while I was within the GVWR, my rear axle was severely overloaded. If you get your rig weighed empty, you know your starting point and can weigh individual items you will be taking and decide on a storage plan. I wound up moving my spare tire from the rear of the coach to the front bumper and came up with a plan to store heavy items forward. I made a spreadsheet to track the effect on the axle loading. The improvement in the way the vehicle handled with the proper loading condition was very noticable. You should of course check your weights when you are in travel loading condition to be sure you are still OK.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
I'm leaving in just under two weeks to drive up to NY to get my Newmar, can I stop at any weigh station to get weighed? Is there a charge, or does it vary by state?
The state's weigh stations here don't leave the scales on, AFAIK, and they don't want RVs coming through even when they're working. But truck stops with CAT scales want your business, and they're all over the place anyway, so that's your best bet.

CAT scale locator: https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/
KanzKran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #9

Use that link for CAT scales, nice systems, only $20-$25 in most areas.

Good idea to get done when you drive home if you can. A Great idea to do so once you load it up with all your travel gear and set up for trips. It gave me confidence to know axle weights and compare to your Newmar coach sticker for max weight.
MCRV Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 06:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Weighing the RV - State weigh stations?

Paid mostly around 9-11$ that include the towed too. If you haven’t done it before walk and look at the scales you’ll see separate platforms you want your axles obviously to be on separate platforms. The button to call the attendant can be pretty hard to reach from your window.
Try YouTube it will show you. If buying from a individual ask him what he has done for psi if from a dealer ask them.
Old 04-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentc2 View Post
I've seen a lot of people saying that knowing your vehicle's weight is important to tire pressure and subsequently handling. I'm leaving in just under two weeks to drive up to NY to get my Newmar, can I stop at any weigh station to get weighed? Is there a charge, or does it vary by state?

Is it the coach in your signature? My guess unloaded probably 80-85 but verify.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:52 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Allentc2"......Newmar does a four corner weigh of every coach they build. They do this to make sure nothing is awry with that particular coach, as they know what every coach corner should weigh.

Even though it's an empty weight, they will email you those numbers. Just email Service and request them. It gives you a good starting point.

Hopefully this will post.....here is a copy of my weights from Newmar.

607408 corner weights.pdf
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:20 AM   #13

In my state, Washington, I got 4 corner weights done at state scales. I called ahead first though. It helps if they are not too busy.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
To determine what the right tire pressure is for you, you need to weigh your MH. Load your MH as you would for travel, fill you gas and water tanks and then get your MH weighed.

If you can't do 4 corner weighing (which would the best), this is the procedure to follow:

1. Weigh the coach axles
2. Add 5% to account for possible uneven weight side to side.
3. Divide by the number of tires on each axle.
4. Look to tire chart for your brand to find tire pressure.
5. Add 5 psi for safety
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is online now   Reply With Quote