Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2019, 08:25 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I was fortunate to have driven many types of large and oversized equipment over the last 60 years and also knew how to check and maintain them. Most of these weight and tire pressure questions along with other RV issues could be answered in a simple two hour class before the newby took the wheel and headed down the road. Any type of formal instruction from a qualified instructor could only help those who have not had experience in a heavy vehicle. I just don't see the problem with requiring certain basic understanding of a 10 to 20 ton box on wheels.
I don’t see where anyone here has expressed an opinion that additional testing would be a problem. It currently is not required in many states so your best course of action for change in the laws would be to become an advocate and work with your state legislators. Then move on to the next state.

Since the topic of this thread is weight capacity and not licensing requirements, a proposal that may also prove beneficial would be a federal requirement that every owner of a MH, fifth wheel or TT submit a weight certificate for the entire RV setup when renewing registration and insurance.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #72

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
While searching can be valuable I'm certain everyone has gotten bad info, outdated info, or just confusing answers because the writer is not matched to the understanding level of the reader. Sometimes it's correct to re-ask the question based on your circumstances.

Personally, I think you should be paid by the post. I've learned a tremendous amount from you and your blog.

Ray

Thanks. I just wish people would spend a couple of minutes checking my blog. I have almost 400 posts on Tires, Valves, and TPMS including an index and over 50 posts on Inflation alone. I even accept direct questions (email published under my picture on the right side of the blog.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:56 PM   #73

Quote:
I've stated it before, but it bears repeating. All of us had to study the traffic laws, pass a written test and demonstrate to a driving inspector our ability to drive a car safely before getting a driver's license. Then some of us who wanted to operate a commercial vehicle had to do more studying, take another test and demonstrate not only our ability to operate that vehicle, but also how to inspect the brakes and keep the unit safe. If you want a motorcycle endorsement, it's another written and driving test. Why is it that all you have to do to legally drive a motorhome weighing over ten times more than your car in many states is write a check and sign your name?? Why aren't MH owners required to prove they have the ability to operate it safely and the knowledge of how to maintain and keep it operationally safe??

I look no further than the states that have implemented an RV drivers license as an example of why and how this should not be done. It seems many / most of them have simply taken the existing CDL testing requirements and removed a few particularly non-relevant bits, leaving many other non-relevant bits in.

Your typical motorhome operator does not need to know formulas for size and type of fire extinguisher to carry, or show the ability to back down a long,alley to a loading dock, or correct distance spacing for orange cones, or most of the load balancing, tie down stuff, for that matter how many motorhome operators need to know when to replace tires based on wear, ...

This leaves exactly what that should be on a written motorhome operators test? Check your mirrors, and get off the road if conditions are bad? I am not against training, I just don't see what good formal state licensing does.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:01 PM   #74
NXR

Quote:
Most of these weight and tire pressure questions along with other RV issues could be answered in a simple two hour class before the newby took the wheel and headed down the road. Any type of formal instruction from a qualified instructor could only help those who have not had experience in a heavy vehicle. I just don't see the problem with requiring certain basic understanding of a 10 to 20 ton box on wheels.
I agree and even though my wife and I were firefighters (41 years between us) she and I agreed we needed to pay for a professional instructor. A two day class cost $700 or about $60 an hour. The cost of the class was barely the cost of the insurance deductible for an accident. But a lot of people simply do not think that way.

I just don't think another government test is the proper method. If they wanted to, insurance companies could fix this problem by increasing premiums if the proper training was not received. But when I was insurance shopping, most companies did not care and the few that did care offered minuscule discounts for having training. I would never pay for a professional driving course just to get a discount; it simply was not cost-effective.

Ray
Old 08-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I agree and even though my wife and I were firefighters (41 years between us) she and I agreed we needed to pay for a professional instructor. A two day class cost $700 or about $60 an hour. The cost of the class was barely the cost of the insurance deductible for an accident. But a lot of people simply do not think that way.

I just don't think another government test is the proper method. If they wanted to, insurance companies could fix this problem by increasing premiums if the proper training was not received. But when I was insurance shopping, most companies did not care and the few that did care offered minuscule discounts for having training. I would never pay for a professional driving course just to get a discount; it simply was not cost-effective.

Ray

I would second this education/testing with a periodic retest of the driver skills say every decade till 80 and after that every 3 with a medical check. Its amazing what school bus drivers get away with as to lax rules and just imagine all those little peeps that too mostly unsecured floating in a tin can down the road.

I love the idea of having "smart car" type designed cars for urban/suburban travel with technology it can be made so that the elderly with diminishing abilities can still continue to be independent as long as possible. It scares me to see a handicap plate or tag on an exterminator barreling down the road in doing 10 to 15 over the limit! BTW yes I am elderly too.

Tags
weight