RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #15

Spartan Chassis
I just looked at my ladder when I purchased our DP-It shuttered. Found this Loft Ladder 'rated' @ 330#. I extend it up against my mounted ladder & secure it with velcro straps as I go up. No shaking (except for MY knees), gets me on the roof when needed & as I come down just unstrap until I can kiss the ground again
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Ladder.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	178919  
ceeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 10:34 PM   #16

baystar sport

my ladder says 200lbs
Old 10-06-2017, 12:20 AM   #17

I thought the same thing about the ladder as soon as I saw it on my coach. Its not Big Boy rated. Im too big to fall off the back of this thing. The extension ladders are a good idea. Ill have to grab one of those.
djgaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:27 AM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mine says 300 but I don't think it would hold a 300#er! I beefed it up with adding 2 more screws on each horizontal piece that fastens to the rear cap but it only helped a little.
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Interesting. I've actually never seen anywhere that states the weight limit for the ladder on RV's, but all 3 of my rigs were purchased used; none were labeled. The owner's manual on my current one makes no mention of it either. The only thing I can find in my manual is a weight limit for the roof; 100# of cargo + a 225# person to load the cargo.

Is there a label on your rig or in your manual? (Not challenging your statement, by the way, just curious as to where your number came from).

It has a weight warning label on the back of my latter.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
I'm not so worried about the weight limit of the ladder but the way they are attached. Usually just screwed to the fiberglass cap with no bracing or backing behind it.

Amazed they still put them on with the sue happy world we live in.

Good luck

Pointrow

.....my thoughts exactly, I only weigh 150lbs and while I know the ladder can hold me, the way it is attached to the coach to me seems problematic as well and I don't think it would hold up over the years. It baffles me when I see what people have hanging off theirs bouncing down the roads. I use my own telescoping ladder.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #21

Weight Limit on Ladders?

I would not be as worried about the weight rating of the ladder. I would be more worried about the weight rating of the roof after you get up it. Many are very thin with few beams.
MotorPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Polyian".....On my ladder, there are three sets of standoffs on the ladder (short 6" tubes connecting the ladder to the coach body). Again, on mine, they used a screw where that standoff attaches to the mount that is on the coach body. I pulled those screws out and ran bolts through. I didn't change anything that connects the mount to the fiberglass.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
I'm not so worried about the weight limit of the ladder but the way they are attached. Usually just screwed to the fiberglass cap with no bracing or backing behind it.
Amazed they still put them on with the sue happy world we live in.

Good luck
Pointrow
In gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you are mistaken. If RV ladders were simply screwed into the fiberglass cap (typically less than 3/16" thick) with no bracing or backing behind it, then every ladder out there would have ripped off the back of the RV by now. And the reality is that I can't ever remember actually having seen an RV ladder ripped off due to weight. I can pretty much guarantee that there is something other than the fiberglass that they are attached to, likely plywood at the very least. Of course, I've only been RVing for a bit under 30 years, so...

I'm 185#, and my ladder is rock solid when climbing up to my 12' roof. It is NOT simply screwed into the 1/8" thick fiberglass.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
back in the day our 91 bounder ladder felt lightweight to me @ 220#; our 95 dynasty feels rock solid to me today at 235ish.

the roof feels solid as well.
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #25
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Again, at 335 pounds, I climb my ladder several times a year. When at home, I use an "A" frame ladder to climb part way up (easier to climb and it's out for washing he coach), when I wash my roof. I have a quality roof so no issues.

Something else I forgot to mention. On my 05 Diplomat, the lower portion of the ladder gets disconnected and placed in a storage bay. Once I added the folding "A" frame ladder, I put the lower section of my RV ladder in S&B garage attic. No need for it and it just took up space.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 06:51 PM   #26

Don...Thanks for your explanation regarding your ladder mounts
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:31 PM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The label on our coach's ladder says the limit is 300 pounds. I'd have to almost double my weight to exceed that (the coach is not the only object blown around in a strong wind).

I rebuilt the ladder this summer. Rusting star nuts and an improper repair done in its early years weakened it. It's now very solid. Among other improvements, I added holes to drain the standoffs and keep the star nuts lubricated against rust. I got to learn what star nuts and "oscar rivets" were, too, not having run across either before.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 AM   #28

I weight over 250lbs and I have a telescopic ladder from here that I keep in my RV boot, I take it with me everywhere and has been great. Its got good grip and a stabilizer so keeps everything nice and steady. It even fits in my car boot

My friend also keeps one if her bedroom for loft access and she's had no problem.
shiningdotin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight