Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Twinsburg OH - Franklin MA - New Milford CT - Bay Shore NY
Weight Limit on Ladders?

I don’t mean to offend anyone here.
My own weight ranges between 245# - 260#.
In my travels I would estimate that a significant portion of us are over the 225# limit on all the ladders on back of RV’s?

Don’t the manufacturers understand their consumers and make accommodations for them? Yes it would add very little weight to the coach, but it would make it safer to go up the ladder to clean and make any repairs on the roof!

Does anyone know of manufacturers who offer a better ladder?
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #2

I am 220 pounds, and the creaking of the ladder scared me every time. When the ladder got bent, it went into the recycling bin!

I use a telescoping ladder now, that I keep in the storage bay.

If I went back to an attached ladder, it would likely be a hand made steel ladder, like those used on boat docks. I spent too much time thinking about what would happen if that cheap aluminum thing failed.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting. I've actually never seen anywhere that states the weight limit for the ladder on RV's, but all 3 of my rigs were purchased used; none were labeled. The owner's manual on my current one makes no mention of it either. The only thing I can find in my manual is a weight limit for the roof; 100# of cargo + a 225# person to load the cargo.

Is there a label on your rig or in your manual? (Not challenging your statement, by the way, just curious as to where your number came from).
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:26 AM   #4

Look at this for a design idea, or basis for modification:

https://www.amazon.com/Dock-Edge-Wel...ers&th=1&psc=1
Old 10-05-2017, 09:09 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
just a simple pull on the ladder from the ground told me I didn't want to be on that thing

Did they used to be stronger on my older rv's or is gravity stronger now ?

The expandable ladder in the basement works for me.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #6

IWS (Idaho Wrecker Sales) offers a custom all welded heavy duty ladder on their Renegade Conversions. They could probably either order one for you or put you in contact with their fabricator.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #7

My trailer ladder has a sticker that says 300lbs
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #8

I'm not so worried about the weight limit of the ladder but the way they are attached. Usually just screwed to the fiberglass cap with no bracing or backing behind it.
Amazed they still put them on with the sue happy world we live in.

Good luck
Pointrow
Old 10-05-2017, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
My trailer ladder has a sticker that says 300lbs
Same here.....

And at 285# (plus?) I have challenged mine many times over the years,

When we FTd I was up that ladder couple times a month sometimes weekly to clear slide-out roofs of debris/snow/ice before retracting them on travel day.

First step up onto ladder always made me 'cringe' a little....but it always held and never moaned/groaned or gave.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
I'm not so worried about the weight limit of the ladder but the way they are attached. Usually just screwed to the fiberglass cap with no bracing or backing behind it.
Amazed they still put them on with the sue happy world we live in.

Good luck
Pointrow
I have never gone up on my ladder. It always seemed too flimsy.

Some manufacturers like Newmar have eliminated the rear ladder. Is it a result of suits? Dunno.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I have never gone up on my ladder. It always seemed too flimsy.

Some manufacturers like Newmar have eliminated the rear ladder. Is it a result of suits? Dunno.
They haven't eliminated it, they are just charging you more for it because they know you will pay for it.

Amazing how many things that are on my lower end Forest River that I now have to pay for on the Newmar which is costing 25-30% more.
randomguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:51 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've never had an issue climbing any of my RV ladders. In my younger days, I was climbing them at 6'2" 285 pounds. I'm now 6'2" 330 and still climb the ladder on my Newmar. With that said, I make sure all the screws are tights and changed out a few where they attach to the wall supports to a nut/bolt versus screw.

Lastly, I have small adjustable cargo holder. It's one of those things that spans across a truck bed to keep cargo in place. They make shorter ones, often used in RV 's as slide locks. I use a shorter one and place it between the ground and the last rung of my ladder and adjust it so that it's snug. I do this when I know I will be up and down the ladder several times.

I also have one of those 7' flooding ladders from Camping World, the one that folds to about 5" square and 7' long. I se that all the time. My only fear is not my weight, but at 61, I'm not as steady as a teenager.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I make sure all the screws are tights and changed out a few where they attach to the wall supports to a nut/bolt versus screw.
Don, I'm curious how you got in behind to put the nuts on the bolts? Is that area open on a DP? Nice that you can get in there.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 04:55 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
You can build a ladder to hold King Kong, but the support to the inner wall would be my concern. I have a Little Giant ladder and use that for frequent trips topside.

Tags
weight