RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2017, 10:14 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverenuff View Post
PackerPower,
Thanks a million for the link to your previous post. that is a lot of information, obvious that you put quite a bit of time into the research. I still have not made a move on my tire situation. I am going to check out the Hankooks. Thank you again for sharing all of your hard earned info!
Best Wishes
You’re welcome! Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2017, 03:07 PM   #16

I see no reason to lookup manufacture specs.. it is usually or very close if you divide max psi into max load on tire .. then if you have 5000 #'s on tire you take the result from above and so math.. example max psi on tire 120# and max load is 7000 then the psi per # is 58.33.. so if you have 5500#'s on tire then the psi would be 95Psi for that weight.. works for me..

ya know one tire in load range h says max wt of 6990 single ...and another says max wt is 7380 at same 120 psi.. so I say better this way instead of looking at Michelin site which is for there wt rating.. in fact try it on that site for that tire and see how close..i have not done it so I dunno..
Old 10-31-2017, 10:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffs View Post
I did contact Samson, they do not have a different load psi, just the standard 120 psi cold theory. I had a few emails back n forth but said they do not have a what I am looking for? I did find the Firestone but want to make sure I am reading it right. I came from towing a 40í toyhauler and alway ran max psi in tires but from what I have read on here, you donít do that, go by weight, correct?
I filled all tires to 110 psi on coach the other day just for starters, all say 120 psi cold.
The federal tire placard inside the MH states the air pressure required for the GVWR of the MH. Inflate to that and you can't go wrong.
Some say that causes a rough ride, Goodyear says there is negligible difference in ride vs running the minimum pressure for the actual weight of the MH.
FWIW, every tire mfgr that publishes a pressure/weight chart says to never run less than the federal tire placard pressures.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:32 PM   #18

Tire pressure management seems to be confusing to some people. They read the placard and think that is the pressure they need to follow. If you want to follow those numbers, feel free to do so. It is the manufacturer's responsibility to post a pressure that will carry the maximum rated load of each axle. However, once the motorhome is sold, it is the responsibility of the owner to determine the correct psi for each tire position. The owner can accept the Manufacturer's placard numbers or he can have each position weighed and inflate to the correct psi for that weight. This second method will give better traction, braking and tire wear. This topic has been hashed and rehashed for years and will undoubtedly continue to be questioned. It remains the owner's responsibility and choice to decide which method they want to do. Either one will work.

FWIW, Tiffin gives specific instructions on how to weigh each tire position and how to select the correct pressure for each weight. They provide a tire chart for the tires on the coach. They feel that the correct psi for the weight being carried is the correct way to manage the tires.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:40 PM   #19

Duplicate.....Deleted
Old 11-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #20

Agree with the weight theory, but according to my weight at the scale, my weight doesnít register on the chart, this is where I am confused or just not doing the math correctly.
Hoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Agree with the weight theory, but according to my weight at the scale, my weight doesnít register on the chart, this is where I am confused or just not doing the math correctly.
If your weight is below the lowest psi on the chart, I believe Tireman, the only true tire expert on this forum, recommends going with that pressure even though it is higher than what is needed for the lower weight. He does not recommend going with less that the tire manufacturer's lowest psi listed on their load chart.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:02 AM   #22

Fleetwood says 95 rear 115 front, 115 felt like it was too much, wondered a little. I was empty when left dealership except fresh water was 1/2 full. After loading I put 110 in all tires and ride is better for sure. Maybe I should put 115 back in fronts and try that out. Leave for Pismo next Thursday.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Fleetwood says 95 rear 115 front, 115 felt like it was too much, wondered a little. I was empty when left dealership except fresh water was 1/2 full. After loading I put 110 in all tires and ride is better for sure. Maybe I should put 115 back in fronts and try that out. Leave for Pismo next Thursday.
As I said earlier, you can go with the placard which many do, or go by the load chart published by the tire manufacturer. Going by the load chart will provide better braking traction, better handling and better tire wear. Don't guess at it and if you are uncertain where to set the pressures with the individual position weights, go with the placard pressures until you are clear as to what pressures to run.

edit: I should point out that even though the front axle was below the axle rating, the placard in my coach listed a front pressure the was below the what Michelin's minimum psi for that load. If I had followed the placard instead of getting a six position weight, I would have been underinflated on the steer axle.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:35 PM   #24

send me the tire max and psi max and wt of front and rear.. then I will put it on here to see.. and I respect tireman,, but if one person knows everything about one thing we sure wouldn't have this discussion. and I mean in every field as you cant have just one...

Quote:
Agree with the weight theory, but according to my weight at the scale, my weight doesn’t register on the chart, this is where I am confused or just not doing the math correctly.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #25

i went to Michelin site and for x line energy 2 which is what my coach needs the specs are 7160 max 3#s at 120 psi..
so 7160 dived by 120 = 59.6psi per #. and says at 6680 for load at 110 #'s so 6680 dived by 59.6 = 112 psi .. close enough for me. and for some reason every one adds 5 psi to recommended psi anyway
Old 11-02-2017, 11:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
send me the tire max and psi max and wt of front and rear.. then I will put it on here to see.. and I respect tireman,, but if one person knows everything about one thing we sure wouldn't have this discussion. and I mean in every field as you cant have just one...
PM sent, thanks

Tags
tires, weight