Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 06:41 AM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Weldex Back-up Camera

I have a 2005 Monaco Monarch SE. I have a Weldex back-up camera that works intermittently. Took off camera housing in the rear and removed camera from bracket. Pulling excess cable out of coach, about 3 ft, noticed that someone had been in there and cut into the cable and covered it up with electrical tape. All wires inside cable are good except the yellow which is the video feed. It has stranded wire wrapped around it and a foil covering over that. The stranded wire is frayed and some foil is missing. There is my problem. The cut is about 4 inches out of the back of the camera. Not much to work with. To get into the camera to cut and make a clean connection you need micro Philipp's screw drivers. Called Weldex in CA . They said some of the wires are soddered and some have special connector inside camera. Said I would ship to them to fix. No, we don't do repairs but would sell me a new one for $329.00 plus shipping. Well, the camera works just fine Just need a cable repair. Sent me to a guy in Michigan that is suppose to be their repair guy. After 5 phone calls leaving messages, he finally called back. Explained situation. Said maybe he could do something but would have to order parts from Korea . That would take a month. REALLY! So I ask people in this forum. Any suggestions ?
hogman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogman69 View Post
I have a 2005 Monaco Monarch SE. I have a Weldex back-up camera that works intermittently. Took off camera housing in the rear and removed camera from bracket. Pulling excess cable out of coach, about 3 ft, noticed that someone had been in there and cut into the cable and covered it up with electrical tape. All wires inside cable are good except the yellow which is the video feed. It has stranded wire wrapped around it and a foil covering over that. The stranded wire is frayed and some foil is missing. There is my problem. The cut is about 4 inches out of the back of the camera. Not much to work with. To get into the camera to cut and make a clean connection you need micro Philipp's screw drivers. Called Weldex in CA . They said some of the wires are soddered and some have special connector inside camera. Said I would ship to them to fix. No, we don't do repairs but would sell me a new one for $329.00 plus shipping. Well, the camera works just fine Just need a cable repair. Sent me to a guy in Michigan that is suppose to be their repair guy. After 5 phone calls leaving messages, he finally called back. Explained situation. Said maybe he could do something but would have to order parts from Korea . That would take a month. REALLY! So I ask people in this forum. Any suggestions ?
Yes! My solution was to order new color system off e-bay. (Not wireless) Cost was $95.00. The weldex cable is a 6 wire cable and the new cable is a 4 wire cable. Adapters are available from Vehicle Safety Supply company in New York. You need adapters for the camera and monitor. Part numbers are ADPT-64AE and ADPT-46AE. Cost for both with shipping is about $20.00. According to postal tracking, my adapters will be here tomorrow. By the way, bench testing this system, I am very pleased with the performance.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #3

Check out,
RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All)
RV Cams
Brent Jones
Technical Support//Sales
1-877-378-2267

2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:52 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Grey Ghost, can you supply a better link to the "Vehicle Safety Supply" ?
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Their phone number is (917) 442-5886. Their address is 315 East 72nd st #14h New York NY.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
If you search for VSS.com. and scroll down far enough you will find their website to order from. Also there is an 800 phone number 877-295-6411.Put one of the adapter numbers in their site search and you should be good to go. Let us know the outcome.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:55 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Just got my adapters and THEY DO NOT FIT. they are ever so slightly too small and the one with pins(male) has a small protrusion that would have to be broken off if they did fit. Please accept my apology for anyone who bought these adapters. As far as I know now, the only thing left is to peel wires and splice.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:19 AM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Weldex update. Finally took my back-up camera to a local electronics TV repair facility.
They could not find the correct wire connectors but used something similar . Hooked up last night . Camera work perfectly. Any questions please write.
hogman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

Weldex displays are noted to be heat sensitive. I have had 3 replaced. This last one I added a 1,5" muffin fan below the display on the side where the power supply is located. No problems for two years.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera