Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2016, 03:18 AM   #1

Well, I'm not impressed with the Workhorse batts, thoughts?

When I bought my HR in 2013 it had all newer batteries, about 8 months old. 4 6 volts and 2 12 volt.
I always keep my rig plugged in at my home and I have a 90 watt solar panel. We use the coach almost monthly.
I noticed slow cranking last month and had to use the aux switch. I had some work done on my audio/visual stuff last week and the guy at the shop said he had a hard time and had to use aux start as well.
My thought is I could get this kind of life from Costco batteries and I might just get a high cca battery and get my 5 years out of them. I typically get 5 years out of them in my boats and I abuse them in that environment, often letting them sit for 2-3 months.
What are people having good luck with and availability around Los Angeles area?
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 07:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I'm with you on 5 years on cranking batteries. At the 5 year Mark the first time I hear a low cranking they get replaced, I don't get stuck in any rig with dead batteries. Like Interstate my self, just had good service from them. Just check the cranking amps needed, and purchase like batteries. I would go frugal but not cheap.

LEN
Old 12-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Buy your batteries based on the desired CCA rating (for cranking batteries) and Amp-Hour rating for house batteries. Brand makes little or no difference among batteries with the same specs. Most off brands come from the same "big three" battery makers anyway, i.e. Exide, Johnson Controls, and East Penn. US Battery is also a major player if you are talking about 6v golf cart batteries. All the private labels, including Interstate, buy their batteries from those 4 suppliers.

I got 8 years from my last set of cranking batteries, which happened to be the Harris brand. I replaced them withthe Duracell brand from Sams Club.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
3 Different batteries I am familure with
1: The battery delivered with my brand new WORKHORSE chassis was branded WORKHORSE, same logo as the chassis.. I do not think this is what you are talking about.. it lasted 9 years with only a few minior isues (Needed to clean the contacts a few times.. Suggest you do that)

2: Work-a-holic,, This was an Interstate model, 6V Flooded wet GC-2, House batteries, also made it 9 years

I believe the batteries sold at Batteries Plus are also called "Workhorse" and are made by Excide,, Not sure of this.

Others have spoken.. Poorly, of Excide... (The others were made by other companies)

What do I have now: DEKA, DEKA's are 100% US content (East Penn Battery Company) and I'm very pleased.. however they are only 3 years old.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm having good luck with starter batteries replaced every four years...an ounce of prevention is worth... Good starter battery is what? Three nights at a fancy RV park?
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
I always keep my rig plugged in at my home and I have a 90 watt solar panel. We use the coach almost monthly.
Does your setup charge the chassis battery from the converter or solar panels? Lots don't.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:40 PM   #7

My 09 Monaco has Magnum Energy, Intellitec, BIRD, Morningstar meter.
With a 13 HR/Monaco product, I would hope you have at least the equivalent in your rig.
My batteries go much longer. I'm still counting the years! Being drawn down and overcharging is a killer.
Plugged in or underway, you should be just fine, but not so.
I suggest checking it out.
And best wishes
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Decrepit Forum Advocate

I've had very good luck with Costco batteries. For the price, you can't beat the batteries Costco sells. They should last at least five years if not more. In one of our cars, I had a Costco battery in it for over eight years and finally just changed it out to be on the safe side even though it was going strong and held a charge just fine.

As Dave mentions, what kind of maintainer are you using for your chassis batteries? It obviously sounds as if you have maintainer of some type (Trik-L-Start/Amp-L-Start, Echo Charge, etc. or other method of charging the chassis batteries as your house batteries are being charged) that is running through you house system since you say you keep the coach "plugged in."

I find that batteries will last a LONG time if properly maintained ...especially keeping them from dropping low enough so that the voltage becomes too low to perform their intended function. Charging them up from a deep discharge several times will shorten their life significantly. Keeping them "topped off" charge-wise with a maintainer should give your chassis batteries a life of up to eight years especially if you're not in a real hot climate.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:23 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Tried many of the different types in the marine environment which I think is the toughest there is. Went back to the Excide flooded lead acid. Buy a larger one than you think you need. If you have a charger on it make sure you keep the liquid topped off. Add distilled water when needed. Keep a couple gallons on hand. Don't skimp on batteries. Its not worth the savings when you average them out over six or eight years.
Kodiakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #10

To expand on battery maintenance

I think you may have had an overcharge issue going on. I check my Magnum Energy readout often as I pass by it. If it goes to Absorb charge at 14.5 or higher for more than a few minutes after you plug the coach into the pedstal, or goes above Float charge rate of 13.6 often, the charger is not on par.
Me thinks excessive battery electrolyte loss is most often caused by improper inverter/charger settings and poor 12V electrical management.

I didn't have 12V mgt in my first 2 coaches, just chargers I trusted (but verified with a meter). I have my Dad's lessons firmly in my head on many topics.
Another thing is that when charging is happening as it should, it will periodically show Full Charge. If it doesn't there are likely battery or charging issues
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 12:58 AM   #11

These are good points, charging the coach batts/house/solar charging which, etc. I've never worried about tracing the system out or asking for advice because everything was working great......till it wasn't. I knew I should know these basics. Oh well, after 18 years and 4 coaches, I'm still learning. I'm heading to Rincon for some beach camping for a few days and I'll be doing some fact finding.
I'm gpnna head over to the Monaco owners forums, ask a few questions there.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #12

OK, now I'm thinking it's time for 6 new batteries. I went to Rincon on the California coast over the past week. It's totally dry camping. I have a 90 watt solar panel and the 7500 quiet diesel gennie. I'd run the gennie for 1 to 3 hours a day. Sometimes I ran it right up until I turned on the 2k inverter. My 4 6 volt Interstates would drop to the red zone in 45 minutes to an hour.
When I went to leave after 3 days I had to use the aux start to turn it over. I think I'm going to try the Costco 6 volts and high CCA 12 volts.

Tags
workhorse