Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

Well new tires

THINKING about putting new michlen tires on a 2006 georgetown motorhome xrv 235x80x22.5 anty good or bad things about thes tires thanks
edxl370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edxl370 View Post
THINKING about putting new michlen tires on a 2006 georgetown motorhome xrv 235x80x22.5 anty good or bad things about thes tires thanks

We're in the same boat. Keep me posted on what you learn. Same size too. Trying to find a good alternative is the issue.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:51 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi edxl370,
The XRV, like all Michelin tires is a good choice. The XRV does have a softer sidewall. This means a slightly softer ride. However, one must be meticulous about keeping the proper PSI in the tire for the load being carried. I have XZE2+ on the steer axle and XZA1 on the drive axle. For me, any of the XZA or XZE line of tires is a better choice. These tires are a bit sturdier in the side walls. For me, this means more forgiving. I have not notice any harshness increase in the ride.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi edxl370,
The XRV, like all Michelin tires is a good choice. The XRV does have a softer sidewall. This means a slightly softer ride. However, one must be meticulous about keeping the proper PSI in the tire for the load being carried. I have XZE2+ on the steer axle and XZA1 on the drive axle. For me, any of the XZA or XZE line of tires is a better choice. These tires are a bit sturdier in the side walls. For me, this means more forgiving. I have not notice any harshness increase in the ride.
Us, too. Michelin's charts call for 85 psi in ours for an axle-end weight range that goes all the way to the max for our coach. 'Seems low to some, but the engineers know best for the specific tire, and I follow their advice. So far, it seems to be a good fit. I'll put another set on the coach, when these are too old to use.

BTW, also per Michelin advice, I'll continue to use the tires past the 5 yr age from the DOT sidewall born-on date stamp; the fronts get rotated to the rear and new front tires installed.

Then, the challenge will be to get "new" tires locally, rather than those that've been on the shelf for a year or two...
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
I just replaced all 6 Goodyear G670 19" with Michelin XZE's that are rated at 16 ply compared to the 12 ply that I had. I had 2 blowouts in the last 2 years with the goodyear and after seeing other inputs on this site, they have a known problem. Look at the pictures and thread. The Goodyear had dates of 06.

Goodyear tires - iRV2 Forums
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
KZ RV Club
What about costs. I had a service come out to put new Michelins XRV on the last time, as when i called the price was only about 50.00 different, the tire was $340 then, but I have been quoted as much as $500 each as of yesterday. Is this about what others have found. Course that was 5 years ago. I need new ones all the way around as well. I very interested in new tires of course other than Michelin, but the consensus seems to be to stick with Michelin.
YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YosemiteBobR View Post
What about costs. I had a service come out to put new Michelins XRV on the last time, as when i called the price was only about 50.00 different, the tire was $340 then, but I have been quoted as much as $500 each as of yesterday. Is this about what others have found. Course that was 5 years ago. I need new ones all the way around as well. I very interested in new tires of course other than Michelin, but the consensus seems to be to stick with Michelin.

Well with the 6 new tires, high speed balance and disposposal and tax we totalled $2600 here in san diego.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
There is a "rumor" that FMCA and Michelin are working to come up with a special price for FMCA members for a limited time only. Right now it is still in the talking stage. The rumor is 50% off MSRP! Hopefully, this will come true and not become an urban legend.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
There is a "rumor" that FMCA and Michelin are working to come up with a special price for FMCA members for a limited time only. Right now it is still in the talking stage. The rumor is 50% off MSRP! Hopefully, this will come true and not become an urban legend.

Keep us posted on this Gary, we may be buying some.
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Angry

Quote:

I look at this as something I have to do, I don't want another blowout. With a car is one thing, but with something that weighs 26000 lbs. you have to think differently. What pissed me off is Goodyear saying to show them the tires. So everyone with goodyear if you get a blowout and survive, mount a tire rack to show them what they already know.
Old 01-28-2011, 09:50 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I also hear the FMCA deal is coming..... I will take 6 please... LOL
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:25 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just put 6 Michelins, 22.5 on my 38 Adventurer W24. I had the XRVs before and had no troubles but they were 7 years old and showing a little weathering on the sidewalls. You must keep the air pressure up on them for good handling. Specs are 100psi on front and 95psi on back.
jrchep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:38 PM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I know everyone give Chinese tires down the road but, I had no choice 6 LinLing in November $1155 out the door. 8R19.5 After 1000 miles:good ride no problems at all. By the way they replaced 15 year old Mich's. Ed
1oleman is offline   Reply With Quote