Well that was interesting
Six days stuck on the road. Two days in a rest stop and four days in a nearby rv park we 'limped' into. We experienced the wonderful 'Reduced Engine Power' problem. The GM 8.1L gas engine uses electrical connections between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. When they get out of sync the computer puts you into 'Reduced Engine Power' with a top speed of 25mph (with a favorable wind), probably to mitigate against runaway throttle. The first time it happened we were just pulling onto I95 in SC. We called Good Sam and they suggested a tow to a nearby repair shop. We waiting 45 minutes and just for drill tried to start again -- everything worked so we called off the tow. We went happily down the road until about 40 miles from our destination at Savannah. We are really in the boonies, so we just pulled over and waiting 30 minutes -- still bad. One hour still bad. So made the decision to push on driving on the shoulder at 20--25mph. Fives miles from our destination a thunderstorm turned 95 into a 10mph stop and go... we fit right in. We eventually made it to the rv park and called a local rv repair guy who arrived promptly in the A.M. He read all the computer error codes and reset everything and could not get it to malfunction. So onward and upward. No problems until we pull into a rest stop when the problem reoccurred. We were about 60 miles to our next stop and 166 from home. So again we call Good Sam and they send a service guy his test equipment was for diesel engines so he left and said he'd get the right equipment. At 8:30 that night he returned again with equipment that wouldn't work, although he managed to clear the computer. As soon as we started moving the error code returned, and he was long gone. Since we have four small dogs it was the 'Red Roof Inn' for the night. Called Good Sam again and asked for someone local and they referred a company that sold used cars, did towing and service. We called them and a repairman was there in a half hour. The original guy had written down the error codes and I gave them to him and he left promising to call back which he did later in the day. He said he had called GM and they told him to replace the throttle body (which I had replaced last year) and the accelerator pedal assembly -- cost just under $800. Said they would overnight the parts. After calling the company multiple times during the next three days they said the parts were in, but the original guy had quit and they had no one else. Checked their address on the gps and found out they were only two miles away so I went over there and claimed my parts, immediately noticing the accelerator pedal assy was the wrong part. Called the original company and they sent a tech who installed the throttle body and it seemed to work OK. So we again hit the road deciding to head directly for home. Ten miles and we stop for gas, good to go on the start and then just as we hit 95 again it failed. Turned off the engine and wait, try again and it's good so off we go. Five miles and it's back again. It finally dawned on me that it was probably a bad pedal transducer so I decided to control power using only the cruise control... made it home no problem although I looked for the error light every ten seconds. Ordered the transducer from Ultra Rv Products ... $370. Adding up all the costs for technical 'visits', parts etc. It came to near $1800. I'm not complaining -- some poor guy had this drag behind burn to the ground a couple hundred feet from the rest stop. I'm glad he didn't make it to the rest stop and pull in next to me.
2008 Newmar Ventana, 2016 Toyota Avalon Tow
Donna, three Rescue Yorkies and CoCo the Chihuahua
USMC 1955 -- 1980