Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Try PPL they are consignment only, we have purchased both of our rigs through them, they have a wide range available.jg
catldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2019, 06:18 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I did months of research, following units on the trader web-sites, dealer sites, dealer visits, test drives, and while Im sure this isnt always the case, found my best choices on craigslist, from both dealers and private parties.

I finally found the coach I wanted by doing a make model specific google search with the word "craigslist" after the make and model, and found a good deal on a low milage (21000) 2010 unit at a dealership in Grand Rapids that was only advertised locally - not on the trader sites. Granted it was a bit of a risk buying a one-way plane ticket and flying out there, but it paid off. The unit was a little rougher in person than I expected but I was more concerned with milage and maintenance history than minor cosmetics. (There are probably other ways to search craigslist nationwide but this worked for me.)

So they came off the price $9000 which was already well below book, but my offer was as-is so they didnt have to do anything to it, or offer any of the "platinum" customer service stuff, and I drove off happy with the deal. The next best deal I found was in Florida and it was cosmetically nicer, but $25000 more and 2.5 times the milage.

That was how I dealt with this situation and it worked out. It helped that I narrowed my search to a make/model because after looking at literally hundreds (thousands?) of coaches on line, I was getting a serious case of RV shopper fatigue. So try the nationwide craigslist thing - ya never know what you might find. Good luck!
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:19 PM   #17

Someone mentioned MHSRV in Alvarado, Texas. We bought ours there on consignment. Outside of pet hair the coach was very clean and pretty well taken care of. I did not see any "dogs" on the lot. They are a big dealership with some high end motorhomes sitting there. My impression was they wouldn't take a piece of crap and put it on their lot. I would also add we were treated very well there, no pressure and no BS. They took good care of us, including making sure the propane tank was full, water tank was full and all the safety equipment worked. Even though it was a consignment they still had a small PDI that we had to go through and check off all the items, only then were we given the keys. I highly recommend. Keep looking, there are very good used coaches out there.

Roadmiester
09 Dynasty Regal IV
45ft., tag axle, ISM500
Roadmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We bought our MH 3 years ago from the dealer I have known for 30 years. I have bought 4 rigs from them, so far. He put 6 new tires on it, did all the service work - new filters and fluids, and gave me a good price on my FW trade in. We are happy campers.

BTW the dealer is Barry's RVs in Bakersfield, CA. I highly recommend him.
960 watts of solar, 440 Amp hours AGM batteries
KCFDCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:46 PM   #19

Hi to all responding to this post; Very interesting observations and views. To me the hardest thing to do, but it is the easiest, when you decide you want a coach is to head to the closest RV dealer lot. I have always enjoyed going to the local, dealer sponsored, RV parking lot sale just to see what is out in the market place currently. To me through my own observation I have to agree with O.P.'s experience. At least 75 to 80% of what is on the lot or lots is in horrible condition. Where did the dealers get this stuff. One of my observations is the condition of equipment that is only about 5 years old. It does look like it was rode hard and put away really wet! Looking on the internet also does not give you a real sense of condition. I think it just happens to be raw luck that you go to look at something that has peaked your interest and BINGO, this is exactly what I am looking for. Asking price might not be right, but condition is great. Of course this is what we see visually and we know digging deeper is a must. In 2015 I made 2 trips to look at coaches. Total miles on my drive was around 4500 miles and it was great to have the road trip but total disappointment on what I went to look at. These 2 coaches were poorly represented on line, one by a private party and one by a consignment dealer. So when it comes time to go looking, try to make it fun. Don't make this experience a chore or you will not enjoy looking for the one for you. Happy hunting!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 AM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
WOW...it was amazing to me how disrepair the units were. lots of broken latchs, all had dead batteries, leaking roofs, really stained carpet from leaks, seats that were really worn bad, miles on units were 17,000 to 99,000 miles. And they were asking the NADA high price. Coaches were Monico's, holiday rambles, tiffin and a Thor (really bad). And the sales guy said the 05 Monico (17K miles) was in really good shape. Very disappointed. So, my question is...are all used coaches at dealerships this bad? all looked rode hard and put away wet...
After some research for which model coach we wanted, we bought the first one that we looked at from a consignment dealer, just 100 miles away. This was in 2016 and It was like new, in and out, with under 34K miles.
Bought it well under low NADA as well.
Naturally, as Gary has pointed out, the cleaning done by this dealer, both in and out, left a lot to be desired. We do like seeing them that way, when it's only cosmetic and it does help with your buying competition and for negotiating a final price.
What does surprise me with some of these, is for someone who will spend that kind of money and then let it go to pot. Pretty much an indicator of how they keep everything else, that they might own. Again and sometimes it works in one's favor, if it's just cosmetic.
Ya should have seen our boat, when we first got it and must say it was the worst looking and finest boat we've ever had, including one that we bought new and another that looked like new.
Just took a weekend of work and about $500 for making it new again.
Did I mention it being one of the best deals I ever made, ever?
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
WOW...it was amazing to me how disrepair the units were. lots of broken latchs, all had dead batteries, leaking roofs, really stained carpet from leaks, seats that were really worn bad, miles on units were 17,000 to 99,000 miles. And they were asking the NADA high price. Coaches were Monico's, holiday rambles, tiffin and a Thor (really bad). And the sales guy said the 05 Monico (17K miles) was in really good shape. Very disappointed. So, my question is...are all used coaches at dealerships this bad? all looked rode hard and put away wet...
oldguy,
First off, you have to realize that you're dealing with HUMANOIDS. And many, many of them could care less about not only their motorhomes but, cars, boats, homes, and anything else of value. We see it daily. Money is apparently no object to many folks. Buy it, use it, mistreat it and, well, either throw it away or get what you can for it.

Second, no, not all folks that own these era coaches treat them like what you've seen. There are thousands that take pride in them, no matter how old they are or how many miles are on them. We're one of them. Ours has almost 90K on the clock, is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and Allison MH3000 trans. We get comments on it every single time we camp some place in the fact that people think it's a lot newer than it is.

And the inside looks just as good. And we're the FOURTH OWNERS OF IT!!!!!!!!

So, yep, don't take it for granted that every single coach you're gonna go look at looks like Jed Clampett's used it. Some friends just purchased an '05 39' Journey and it looks darn nears as nice as ours. They're out there, take your time and look around.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:44 AM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
oldguy,
First off, you have to realize that you're dealing with HUMANOIDS. And many, many of them could care less about not only their motorhomes but, cars, boats, homes, and anything else of value. We see it daily. Money is apparently no object to many folks. Buy it, use it, mistreat it and, well, either throw it away or get what you can for it.

Second, no, not all folks that own these era coaches treat them like what you've seen. There are thousands that take pride in them, no matter how old they are or how many miles are on them. We're one of them. Ours has almost 90K on the clock, is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and Allison MH3000 trans. We get comments on it every single time we camp some place in the fact that people think it's a lot newer than it is.

And the inside looks just as good. And we're the FOURTH OWNERS OF IT!!!!!!!!

So, yep, don't take it for granted that every single coach you're gonna go look at looks like Jed Clampett's used it. Some friends just purchased an '05 39' Journey and it looks darn nears as nice as ours. They're out there, take your time and look around.
Scott
X2......and we're the third owner of ours. Seems that the first two, spent a lot of time looking at it in the driveway or other and not much else.
We have also had comments, thinking that ours was a new one actually and it is nice that the body style stayed the same without looking too dated. At least until the last two years, but most aren't that familiar with any particular coach.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:23 AM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Yep, I know they are out there...just only have seen one out of 15 viewed to date. FIRED UP said it the best, tropical36 x2'ed it! I'm not giving up...just got to ask better questions before driving 4 hours to look at junk. But, this is the same as my search for a clean 35 - 40 foot sailboat 28 years ago. It took me almost two years to find one. Still sailing it on Lake Erie...and still a very clean boat. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by catldog View Post
Try PPL they are consignment only, we have purchased both of our rigs through them, they have a wide range available.jg

We bought ours from PPL but also had a similar experience as the OP. Most of the motorhomes we walked into were pretty beat up, stained and smelled.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:03 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect the owners who take pride and care for their rig are also those who are more likely sell privately. Those who don't want to be bothered with it will near always trade or consign.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #26

I'm not in the market for a different coach, but enjoy going in to see what's available. If I were looking to buy, I would go the the Phoenix valley and down to Tucson. When we lived in the Tucson area and occasional trip up to Phoenix, I saw many excellent used motorhomes at several dealers. Also once in awhile I would see an ad where the husband had passed away and the widow needed to sell as she did not drive it, or a dealer had in on consignment. I was raised in WI and the very last place I would look for a pristine used motorhome would be the upper midwest. Go south where the weather is friendlier and there is a better selection of high end coaches.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel