Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2016, 02:54 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You already have a self defense weapon monuted right by your entry door.

The fire extinguisher. You blast somebody in the face with a fire extinguisher and it will slow them down a bit.

Fire Extinguisher Attack Sends 10 to Hospital
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2016, 03:31 PM   #16

We are both retired career military officers, martial arts/hand to hand combat instructors, and firm believers in 2A (and the rest of them!). We also have FOUR dogs with us MOST of the time. Two are (male/female) GSDs (male 120lb, female 90lb).

Then,....there is the Malamute (130lb)! GSDs are professionally trained GUARD (working) dogs. Malamute is not trained to defend (or attack on command), but she "learned" from GSDs, and she is VERY protective of "her" home (S&B or MH).

Malamutes look cute ("Snow Dogs" movie), but let me tell you........I have nothing but respect for it's strength, and/or ability to fight. These three often chase brown bears, coyotes, and mountain lions on my ranch. I wouldn't want to be on the "receiving end" of something like that.

Fourth dog is Pomeranian (wife brought him into the marriage), and he is no threat, except he IS an effective "early warning device".

We have a sticker on the door advising "entry at your own risk" with the picture of Rommel (120lb GSD male). No need for any additional security. We sleep "like babies" ANYWHERE.

We also don't advertise our 2A stance.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:34 PM   #17

I second the fire extinguisher. If that and bear spray doesn't do the trick, you're probably in the midst of a zombie apocalypse. Also, any chemical deterrent in Canada must be clearly labeled for use against animals, e.g. bear spray. Anything marked as "personal defense" or "intruder repellent" or otherwise meant for humans is illegal.

If we break down this idea of intruders in the middle of the night, it becomes highly unlikely. Most criminals are punks, thugs and cowards. They don't want a confrontation. Hardened, smart criminals have discovered that it's easier to get a job on Wall Street or politics.

If there is a break in, it will be during the day while the coach is empty. I try to leave a few valuable-looking devices lying around (broken tablet, inactive cell phone, beater PC, etc.) Any loser who breaks in will grab what he/she sees and run.

I'm more concerned about vandalism like stealing gas, slashing tires, breaking the windshield, keying the paint, etc. But, in the long run, stuff happens and there's no sense in worrying about it until it happens. Just my US$0.02 worth.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:08 PM   #18

On a trip to Canada last year, we were asked if we had bear spray. Seems its not allowed, but I keep a fresh can of hornet spray in a drawer by the door. I don't think anyone would keep coming at you with a face and mouth full of that stuff.
wigginsjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #19

What about back-spray from bear or hornet spray? The guy in front will get the brunt of it for sure. But the back spray in a small area like a motorhome would be significant.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:32 PM   #20

42+ Years RVing including boondocking from coast to coast in every kind of spot i can think of and never had a problem. If we stop at a spot and think it's safe it usually is. Oh yes did I mention I do exercise my 2nd amendment rights.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:31 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Bear spray is designed to fog far more than pepper spray does; setting off bear spray inside of a rig would be... um... not the best outcome. While it might work as well on humans vs. pepper spray, the fog is likely to incapacitate you both... and that's a bad thing.

Tests done on pepper spray vs. hornet / wasp spray clearly shows how ineffectual hornet / wasp spray is against humans... especially those who are under some chemical influence.

As I've mentioned, I am not at all anti-gun... I think they're fine; problematic, but fine, and they aren't my problem so I don't care. The real concern is when you stop to think that maybe the intruder exercises his 2A rights too. There's a very real possibility of not finding that out until you're muzzle-to-muzzle, and that defeats the purpose of personal defense.

If it comes to that, so be it, but I would want to try just about everything else first in hopes of avoiding that very scenario.

My two cents; worth every penny.

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #22

Safe Place Alarm...

We are getting ready to go full time...We have installed battery alarms on the door($10.00 at Walmart) and that will give me time to arm myself if the door is opened.
97 TropiCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
In over 30 years we have found there a very few problems. Recommendations are to be aware of whats going on and if you are concerned, leave or attract attention, blow the horn, flash headlights, use the key fob to blow the toad's horn. Call 911. I don't open the door at night unless I'm sure of who's there.

A dog is a good idea. My watchdog.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #24
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
My personal philosophy is that if I pull into a spot where I don't care for the surroundings, I don't even set the parking brake. I move on to the next place.

I suppose someone will eventually put one of these on their door.

IF YOU CAN READ THIS YOURE IN RANGE Metal Sign | eBay
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Security could be measured in millimeters.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Some solutions....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GSD Gun.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	124541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog Gun.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	124542  

Attached Images

Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
George is gorgeous! I love big and fluffy!
Xeena(German Shepard)
brian-nicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks.... George is like the "security monitor" in the commercial. His job is to report if anything happens. I don't think I've ever seen an attack newf.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote