Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 PM   #1

What are the better brands of MH?

I'm new to the world of RV'ing. I don't own one yet but there is one in my future. I'm just beginning to do my homework before making an expensive and ill decision. Problem is that I'm not familiar with makes & models.

I look at the list of makes on RVTRADER.COM and it makes my head spin. There are so many. I'm sure some are foreign and/or obsolete makes.

I'm kind of partial to Fleetwood Bounder but I wouldn't know if that's the Cadillac or Edsel of MH's. Also, and I think this is important to state, I'm starting out looking for older and less expensive rigs - late 1980's-mid/late 1990's.

All that being said what would be say the top 5 makes to consider and which should I run like hell from? Just as with some cars, at some point a certain yr/make/mod was good but went to crap or were crap but became really good.

Thanks
Jim C
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

Ok, I'll play your silly game. What does popcorn mean?
Jcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #4

Probably two of the better MHs out there are Prevost and Newell. Motor homes are like boats. There are many brand, I don't even knowvhow many. Not like say pickups, only about 3 real brands. But there are way more then 5 good brands. I listed two of the more upscale brands, but there are many good coaches out there.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcarlson View Post
Means that a post like this will be fun to watch. He just grabbed front And center seats with his popcorn!
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
I think popcorn means he is just going to set back and enjoy the "show".
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I think popcorn means he is just going to set back and enjoy the "show".
EXACTLY!!

I could go on and on about how good Newmars are, but then someone would go on and on about Bounders (or as well call them "Bouncers"). Then the Foretravel owners would chime in, then the Entegra owners, etc.

Everybody has an opinion just like other parts of the body.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I'm new to the world of RV'ing. I don't own one yet but there is one in my future. I'm just beginning to do my homework before making an expensive and ill decision. Problem is that I'm not familiar with makes & models.

I look at the list of makes on RVTRADER.COM and it makes my head spin. There are so many. I'm sure some are foreign and/or obsolete makes.

I'm kind of partial to Fleetwood Bounder but I wouldn't know if that's the Cadillac or Edsel of MH's. Also, and I think this is important to state, I'm starting out looking for older and less expensive rigs - late 1980's-mid/late 1990's.

All that being said what would be say the top 5 makes to consider and which should I run like hell from? Just as with some cars, at some point a certain yr/make/mod was good but went to crap or were crap but became really good.

Thanks
Jim C
Just to shorten this up a bit can I ask you how much you want to spend?
The range can be from $........ to $1.8M Then people can make suggestions. Also include the year range of what you would like to end up with. Then we can get started
Old 01-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #9

I was on the fence when I bought my Winnebago. There were a few things that went wrong during my first few trips that I thought shouldn't have happened. Winnebago's warranty took care of everything. Since then the Ford chassis & the Winnebago product have performed well. Hope to head to Florida next week to get away from the cold.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Oh heck, I'll play.
Tiffin, Newmar, Monaco/HR, Winne, bluebird, ......
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can probably tell by my signature. I think mid '90s to late '90s Monaco Dynasty is a really, really, really, great coach.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #12

Ok, I'm in.

Custom Prevost conversion,Newell, Foretravel
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ok, I'll chime in here about how we shopped for ours. "For floor plan shopping only" and a bit of price shopping as well, I went to E-----bay. I went along the left side and set up my parameters about what I was looking for then checked out the pics. Hundreds of floorplans, what is accessable with slides in, how much "useable" room do the slides really give you, one slide, two slide, three slides or four. How much weight all those slides add and what that weight takes away from other "cargo" you may want to take with you. Are you planning to tow a vehicle with you??? What does it weigh? See where I'm going with this??? Are you planning to "live" in it full time or seasonally, or just weekend? Answer most of these questions and then find out which brand fills all this and maybe more of your wishlist and "brand" may narrow itself down all by itself. We personally shopped for over six months before finding the ideal unit for our needs. Good luck shopping and have some fun along the way and when the time is right and things feel right you'll know the one for you. Happy RVing!!!:-)
e8seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:07 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yeah, you asked a loaded question for this forum. Go easy on him, folks, he's a newbie!

We'll need more info in order to provide some constructive advice. Price point? Gas vs diesel (oh & that's another can of worms)? New/used? If used, how old? How far/often do you want to travel? Do you want to be able to toad your bikes? How handy are you (i.e. will you do maintenance/fixes yourself or will you need to take to a dealer/service center for that stuff)? Etc....

If you haven't already, get yourself to a dealer & look at what they have on their lots to see what interests you.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote