Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What are these items I found in our 2008 Beaver Contessa?

I know the long handle item is for securing a load but it is too short for a trailer or truck bed and it only has one pad on the end. the other end doesn't have the same setup for fastening a pad to it or maybe it just screwed on a different way. I thought maybe it was for the closet but I see no way to use it in it's present configuration.

What is that sheet metal door?...it looks like some sort of vent damper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	51838   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	51839  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	51840  
tankcj is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
The long handled bar in the top photo is a lock for one of your slides when the slide is in. Mine locks the road side front slide and there is a round socket with a pin down the center that accepts the locking bar. Can't help with the other two items. I might add the bar will lenghten or shorten when twisted and the end with the pad goes against the side of the slide.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
I know the long handle item is for securing a load but it is too short for a trailer or truck bed and it only has one pad on the end. the other end doesn't have the same setup for fastening a pad to it or maybe it just screwed on a different way. I thought maybe it was for the closet but I see no way to use it in it's present configuration.

What is that sheet metal door?...it looks like some sort of vent damper.
Not sure about the first photo but the other 2 is pictures of the vent flapper for in the microwave/convection unit, maybe it had been replaced once(microwave unit) and they just left the original one in place when replacing the unit or they just chose not to install the flapper vent in the exhaust vent.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSkyBob View Post
The long handled bar in the top photo is a lock for one of your slides when the slide is in. Mine locks the road side front slide and there is a round socket with a pin down the center that accepts the locking bar. Can't help with the other two items. I might add the bar will lenghten or shorten when twisted and the end with the pad goes against the side of the slide.
How does that work?

I see there is a hole of some sort in the upper forward frame around the roadside front slide but I don't see how the lock would work. It looks more like it would keep things separate rather than locking it in place...maybe I'm missing something. Do you happen to have a picture of this?
Old 12-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Not sure about the first photo but the other 2 is pictures of the vent flapper for in the microwave/convection unit, maybe it had been replaced once(microwave unit) and they just left the original one in place when replacing the unit or they just chose not to install the flapper vent in the exhaust vent.
Great!...thanks!...I'll take a look and see if I already have one and if not see if I can install it.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Great!...thanks!...I'll take a look and see if I already have one and if not see if I can install it.
More than likely you won't be able to see it as it is in behind the microwave and without removing it I don't believe you will be able to tell tother than taking off the roof vent cover(if you have one) to look down inside it. Yours just might not have a vent that goes up through your roof? Remember microwave location and go outside and see if there is a mounted vent on your roof. It will more than likely be a rectangular cover about 6" x 4" .
Old 12-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
More than likely you won't be able to see it as it is in behind the microwave and without removing it I don't believe you will be able to tell tother than taking off the roof vent cover(if you have one) to look down inside it. Yours just might not have a vent that goes up through your roof? Remember microwave location and go outside and see if there is a mounted vent on your roof. It will more than likely be a rectangular cover about 12" x 6" .

Now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing anything like a vent in the cabinet above the MW so unless it vents up thru the wall, then I most likely don't have a vent. But I will look to be sure.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #8

The second item looks like a vent duct damper for an over the range microwave or a range hood fan.
Many RVs have no use for a damper because the microwave or range hood fan is not ducted outside.... (they simply filter and recirculate the air back into the RV).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
The second item looks like a vent duct damper for an over the range microwave or a range hood fan.
Many RVs have no use for a damper because the microwave or range hood fan is not ducted outside.... (they simply filter and recirculate the air back into the RV).
Mel
'96 Safari
This.

Many homes do not have a roof vent for an over the range micro either and the damper is not used. If you turn on the vent fan on the microwave and the air blows out of the slats on the top of the microwave, then it is not vented outside.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #10

Quote:
How does that work? I see there is a hole of some sort in the upper forward frame around the roadside front slide but I don't see how the lock would work. It looks more like it would keep things separate rather than locking it in place...maybe I'm missing something. Do you happen to have a picture of this?
This bar works when the slide is in the retracted position for traveling. It goes between the back side of the slide flange and the inside wall of the coach. This is to prevent the slide from moving out during travel. It's possible that this devise should not be in your coach and was put in by the previous owner. Most Monaco built coaches of this vintage had automatic mechanical slide locks.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #11

Tankcj, turn on your microwave, if it blows back into the room you probably don't have an outside vent. Mine was that way and I had an outside vent installed last year. Keeps my smoke alarm from going off when DW is cooking.
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
This bar works when the slide is in the retracted position for traveling. It goes between the back side of the slide flange and the inside wall of the coach. This is to prevent the slide from moving out during travel. It's possible that this devise should not be in your coach and was put in by the previous owner. Most Monaco built coaches of this vintage had automatic mechanical slide locks.
Ahhh...great description!...I understand now. Seems strange that there is only one of these locks but I read that the front slides are hydraulic and the rear slides are electric gear and electric cable. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Nowhere in the manual does it mention this bar or any automatic slide locks (that I could find). I'm using the online Monaco 2008 Camelot manual (there is no online Beaver manual) so I can search for keywords easier.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved44 View Post
Tankcj, turn on your microwave, if it blows back into the room you probably don't have an outside vent. Mine was that way and I had an outside vent installed last year. Keeps my smoke alarm from going off when DW is cooking.
Thanks, that's an easy way to tell!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
you insert the round end of the lock in the hole with the vertical pin (aligning the pin with the slot in the lock). The rubber pad end goes up against the rubber seal on the interior flange of the front roadside slide (slide retracted). Then rotate the outer sleeve in the "lock" direction (makes the rod longer) until good and snug. The idea of the lock is to prevent unwanted slide extension while underway
3 Birds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver