Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

What are you paying?

Just a question. As I am getting closer to buying what I think I want. (43ft DP). I am beginning to rethink this. Seeing that I may not be able to camp in the places I have stayed before. So where are you all staying with the 40+ footers and what are you paying? Private campgrounds, state parks, rv resorts, KOAs? I am currently pulling a 34ft 5th wheel and enjoy getting in just about anywhere and pay an average of about $26.00 a night. Just thinking I may be cutting my choices of where I stay and increasing my overnight cost. Your thoughts???

Tool Man

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WE stay mostly at private parks, have to check some state parks for site lengths and power supplies,Most Washington and Oregon state parks are large enuff and your costs are gonna run around $30-$40 a nite. Don't stay at might be specifically called rv resorts as most of them are basically private parks with higher fees and a few more amenities. We do use KOA's and regardless of what some folks say, have never had a problem. Yes, they may be a bit more expensive, but usually they have the same amenities as some" RV RESORTS" and close to the same costs. I also don't mind staying at places with a number of permanent folks ,as long as the park is kept nice, because, usually those are the safer ones.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
We stay at a number of different sites without many issues. If you call ahead with the specifics of your rig, they'll let you know if they have room for you. We've stayed in a couple that were a bit on the tight side for maneuvering our rig in with the tow, but doable. State parks are often iffy for big rigs, but some have been modernized to accept larger coaches. All in all, I wouldn't let places to stay be a deal breaker for the rig you are considering.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:46 AM   #4

Been RV'ing 10 years and have never been turned away due to our rig's 43-foot length.
HeelDice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:26 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
Just a question. As I am getting closer to buying what I think I want. (43ft DP). I am beginning to rethink this. Seeing that I may not be able to camp in the places I have stayed before. So where are you all staying with the 40+ footers and what are you paying? Private campgrounds, state parks, rv resorts, KOAs? I am currently pulling a 34ft 5th wheel and enjoy getting in just about anywhere and pay an average of about $26.00 a night. Just thinking I may be cutting my choices of where I stay and increasing my overnight cost. Your thoughts???

Tool Man

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
I just watched a youtube video today where a fellow goes through (he says) all the National parks and breaks down how many parks have sites for varying size ranges of RV's. Basically after about 30 feet, the % of parks that have sites that can accommodate you starts to drop. At 41 ft. you have something like 7% of National Parks that can fit you.

Ideal RV Length for Fitting into National Park Campsites - Camper Report
Old 10-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #6

Thanks for the input. Right now I mostly camp at state parks in the SE. I just don't see any big rigs there. Makes
me wonder where they are and what price they are paying. Wife and I are wanting to full time for about 2 years when retirement comes. Can't spend all my money doing this. Will want to come back and buy a stick and brick home later.
Snap-On Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-On Man View Post
Thanks for the input. Right now I mostly camp at state parks in the SE. I just don't see any big rigs there. Makes
me wonder where they are and what price they are paying. Wife and I are wanting to full time for about 2 years when retirement comes. Can't spend all my money doing this. Will want to come back and buy a stick and brick home later.

When we sold and went F/T, our cash flow increased. All of the $ that went thru the house is now fun money.
Relax and enjoy your Ride on the Rainbow

https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:46 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
When we sold and went F/T, our cash flow increased. All of the $ that went thru the house is now fun money.
Relax and enjoy your Ride on the Rainbow
Got a couple more years with the step grandson at home, then I plan on selling out and going full time. That should save me at least $1,500 a month!
House payment
Property taxes
Garbage
Sewer
Water
Street Light Assessment
Maintenance
etc
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:23 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
We stay in a variety of places. Our favorite are COE parks on the lakes around Atlanta. Our very favorite escape is McKinney COE on Lake Allatoona. It's 40 minutes from the house so it's great to get in that quick fix. Our site selection has gone down but we can still gt into the sites we like. We know the park well enough to know which 36 foot sites are actually 45 foot sites. You adapt. We like the room of our larger MH, so we figure it out. I'm more disappointed in the smaller black tank size.
We don't do Ga.state parks for the simple reason I like to know exactly where I am staying that night. Only a few offer site specific reservations.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:06 PM   #10

Agree with you adapt as you go, and even places with 36' and under, will often have sites that larger coaches can fit into. Most places will allow you to go in and see if you see a site you can fit into.

That being said, it's always a degree of incremental reduction in sites, as you go up in size. And note, sometimes that 'size' also means width, where older campgrounds could have places that a coach with slides on both sides won't fit.

And it's also a balance between full timing with enough space to live comfortably, vs maximizing every possible campground. Only the two of you can decide which way that balance takes you!

We're at 40'. We very seldom have a problem finding a site at the places we want to visit. Sure, sometimes you may need to stay somewhere else and drive the toad into say a National Park attraction, vs staying inside the park. But not often.

Our 40' is a tag. If I had been able to find the same model in a 42', I would have gone with that, and regain the lost basement storage that the tag consumed. (We have 2 1/2 bays. Where many 42' coaches have three full bays, or even 3 1/2 bays.) IMO, I doubt in the last 6-7 years, we would have had more then 3-4 sites that a 42' coach would not have fit, that held our 40'.

Of course, you could even go the other way, and step down to 38'. Or, maybe a 36', or maybe --- etc., etc. You two need to determine where that balance is!

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:59 PM   #11

We've used Corp of Engineer parks and some state parks in the south successfully with our 40' motorhome. We mainly stayed in the western states, including Alaska and had no problem finding spots in national parks, national forests, state parks (except California), county and city parks. We also found awesome boondocking spots. 40' was good. Many of the places we stayed would not support a 43'. We also rarely made reservations. Since you'll be full-timing you'll have a lot of flexibility. We'd move into a park on Sunday through Wednesday and stay the weekend.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #12

We stay at mostly private RV parks but plenty of state parks can fit us also.
Rate is anywhere from $25 to maybe $80 depending on the park.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote