RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #1

What can be done to improve power on Ford 460 E40D?

Hi everyone. I have a Winnie vectra grand tour 1996 with Ford 460 + E4OD trans. I love the rig but driving it can be stressful and leg breaking sometimes. It struggles on Overdrive when the road slightly steep uphill and will make sudden downshift then upshift again when itís just a very slight uphill. I plan to ask a local ďBankĒ store but before I bring it there, I just thought Iíd ask first before being milked by the store :P? I appreciate any input.
Evugrandtour is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 05:34 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some maybe ideas -

Decrease weight as much as you can. Limit how much stuff you carry. Simplest, lowest cost and easiest performance improvement you can make.

Replace the exhaust manifold with headers and check the catalytic converter for flow restrictions. Can be a bit of work particularly if the fasteners are corroded. Can get expensive if you can't do the work.

Increase the rear axle ratio. You'll loose top end speed and pick up but will increase power to the wheels. Another potential high cost if you have to pay for the work.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 1997 Class C with a 460, probably much lighter in weight. It also struggled with any type of grade and was a screaming demon with then engine right right at my feet and hot, it would burn my feet.

Not saying there aren't some things that would help but I doubt it would be a significant improvement and probably costly.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Consider installing a Banks transmission control module on the E4OD. It made a very noticeable improvement after I installed it and a complete Banks header system on my F53 with the 460 E4OD combination.

https://www.bankspower.com/c-48-prod...%7Cyear%3D1996
Old 11-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #5

Use Drive, instead of Over Drive.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #6

I've gotten the feel of mine and have learned to just floor the throttle a bit before I need to on hills to sort of give it a few seconds head start. This works fine for me and I don't have to mess with the shifter or overdrive switch at all.

There are a few things you can do to increase power but there's only so much. If you have a clean air filter, fuel filter, and the engine is well in tune then freeing up the exhaust is a good thing to do. Headers to start with.
You can advance the initial engine timing, tweak the TPS and EGR a bit too. There's a post somewhere here by someone who knows more about those things than me but I can't recall where it is right off. Maybe he'll see this thread. It's probably in the "Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum " though.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the E4OD has a way to lock out the overdrive. Drive includes OD.

The basic problem is the E4OD has 3rd & 4th gear ratios that are close together, then a large drop to 2nd. Once the grade exceeds a certain [modest] incline, there is going to be a major downshift and either slow speed or an upshift as soon as you gain some speed again. The Banks Transcommand module should help the shifting a little, but don't expect a miracle.

https://official.bankspower.com/tech...-transcommand/

I would not pay for the rest of the Banks engine upgrades - the 460 has enough power already. I'm not saying the Banks 460 engine upgrades aren't any good - they do indeed help power somewhat. But they are a lot of $$ for a modest gain in power that doesn't do much for your shifting & hill-climb problem. I had a 460 with E4OD on a '96 Southwind 36 footer. so have a good feel for what you are talking about.

What you really need is a 5 or 6 speed auto tranny, but retrofitting a 5R110 or 6R80 is pricey.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
The E4OD transmission has a button on the end of the gear selector to lock out OD. Use it if the transmission is cycling in and out of OD. You can also use it to hold it in the lower gear going down hills.
Old 11-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #9

I think Gary above means the "converter lockup" or "TCC" feature is on in 3rd and 4th. I disable TCC the same way I force downshifts, by putting my right foot down appropriately. Or the brake pedal. My "OD cancel" switch is on the dash and I don't much reaching up there unless I need downhill braking. Nor do I feel it's needed.

When I first got my coach I figured I would throw a few Sonnax, Superior, and TransGo tweaks at the transmission but after putting some miles on it as far as I'm concerned it's doing what it needs to do.

The engine however...insert Tim Taylor grunt....more power!
Well, a little more anyway.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #10

A major choke point would be tbi injection if so equipped. Does it have mpi or tbi...or perhaps a carb?
EyezOpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #11

more power for Ford 460

I worked for Ford for 36 Years . I had a class "c" with a 460 cu/inch .the cheapest increase for more Power (if You can due it Your self ) is open the front of the Engine(timing cover) and replace the Timing Gear sprockets +Chain with a set for a 429 cu/inch set .its basically the same Engine ,and no other Modifications are needed .This will give you aprox. a 30 Horsepower increase .out of pocked $$ is about $ 100.00 if you can do it your self .
Try it , you'l like it . OLD MARINE
oldmarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmarine View Post
... replace the Timing Gear sprockets +Chain.....
PSSSST, not on a 1996 EFI motor. That trick is for the carb'd versions.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 11:39 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Use Drive, instead of Over Drive.
I was thinking that and always using tow/haul mode, gas mileage might suffer but his problem is solved.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:27 PM   #14

The biggest bang for the buck is headers. I elected to install the Banks Power Pack. You get what you pay for. Banks components are all 308 stainless steel. Does not rot out. I installed mine 17 years ago, with no failures to date. Banks headers do NOT require header to head gaskets. 5/8" thick flanges fit just like the gasket less manifolds. No gaskets to fail. No other manufacture offers 5/8" thick flanges.
2 adjustments will help considerably with the early down shift issue.
1: Remove the throttle positioner. Drill or press out the metal bushings that the screws pass through. You may crack the TPS case. NO problem. reinstall the TPS and adjust the out put voltage to 0.9- 0.92. Key on engine off.
2" Remove the EGR valve position sensor. Extend the shaft about 3/16". I use computer brass stand off nuts for extensions. Cut off the bolt threads and drill then the nut end to 5/32". The crimp the nut slightly and tap it on the sensor shaft. Reinstall the sensor and check the out put voltage. Key on engine off. Strive for 0.80-0.85 volts. You will have to grind down the extension to achieve the proper voltage.
The above TPS adjustment will trick the computer into thinking you are not pushing the throttle down as far and the EGR adjustment will add ignition timing.
All of the above made my ol 460 a real pleasure to drive.
Then about 5 years ago I added the stroker crank, upped the compression ratio, added a better camshaft and cleaned up the ports.
I do suggest the Banks Trans Commander. It will up the line pressure in the transmission and make the shifts firmer for better transmission life.
I run with the big boys now!!!

Richard

Tags
ford, power