Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #1

What can I do to improve horrible this suspension setup

I have a 99 Fleetwood Flair 29V. I just had my second trip and both trips had a miserable driving experience. I dreaded every road discrepency. It is going to rip my cabinets out.

It seems to have sway bars either aftermarket or factory, I don't know. I also want to replace the bent spring in pic 1. I am interested in air bags, shocks, steering stabilizers (it's quite darty) Whatever I need to do to make this a reasonable experience. Your help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	191773129_2944696029138139_5284324340533256662_n.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	331255   Click image for larger version

Name:	196405717_4223279357769254_1959871533801208319_n.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	350.5 KB
ID:	331256  

Click image for larger version

Name:	195675805_852718385455371_2070391089417486565_n.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	331257  
dtnorc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #2

The first thing I would find out is what all of that yellow metal and spring is on the front end, maybe someone here will know, I certainly don't. The second thing is it looks like that sway bar has moved about an inch or so to the left, you need to find out why. After you do that get it to an alignment shop and see what the front end parts and alignment look like. The dartiness you describe could very likely be a toe issue. You also need to weigh coach and get axle weights and inflate the tires to the recommended pressure for the weight you are carrying. The alignment shop should do this but probably can't due to them not having a scale, but they might. After you have done all of the above then you should look at possible parts replacement you may not need anything new at all. You need to think of the front end as a system not a bunch of individual parts. Get what you have operating right before you start throwing parts at it. Good luck.
arcaguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you say “darts all over” that sounds like front end alignment, maybe check that as well
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:01 PM   #4

That spring and yellow bracket thing looks like some sort of aftermarket self-centering device, and it looks like it gave up the ghost a long time ago.

If it were me, I would remove the springs (leave the brackets for now) and take it for a drive and see how it goes, and then go from there.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:04 PM   #5

It also looks like the ball joints/tie rods could use a good dose of grease. And I can’t tell from the pictures but I don’t see shocks anywhere on the front end.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:31 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome!

Let's get the unpleasant bit out of the way first...

Your motorhome is likely on a Ford F53 or Chevy Workhorse box-truck chassis. You know, the folks who delivered your last major appliance purchase probably had one. As such, it's leaf leaf-spring based, and setup for hard use. It will never, ever give a soft, car-like ride.

That said, there are several options for improving the handling, and a few for softening the ride. The good news, for you, is that a previous owner appears to have done some of the handling upgrades already. You've got a SteerSafe under there (the yellow bits with springs; the springs need to be replaced) and a nice, upgraded anti-sway bar.

You don't show the back end, but you may have a track bar as well. If not, adding one would further improve handling. Also have it aligned while loaded for travel, and make sure your tire inflation is correct for your weight. (more on this in a sec')

As for the harsh ride...

First and foremost make sure your tire inflation is correct. Over-inflated tires exacerbate the natural harsh ride of the chassis. Go get your rig weighed, loaded as for a trip, and then set the tires on each axle properly. A quick search will get you several good discussions on how to do this.

If the ride is still too harsh (it will still be harsh) there are some options, but they are expensive:
  • Add airbags. Some options replace some leaf springs with lighter ones as well. My understanding is these will set you back a few K$.

• LiquidSprings are supposed to be wonderful, cost $13K+, and may not be available for your older coach.
  • Upgrade to a DP.

Most of us just grit our teeth, hope for good roads, and enjoy the lifestyle once we've parked. Your coach won't fall apart (mostly) if it hasn't already.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 06:00 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I would put my money on new coil springs, shocks and the steer safe springs. Reputable truck front end shop.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:36 PM   #8

Check wear and Alignment First

There's a lot of aftermarket stuff there but none of is necessarily bad to my knowledge.
As previous replies have suggested, and I agree, first check tire pressures, wear in the front end components, and alignment. All of these are basic and any of these being off could create your problem. It would be wasted effort to start changing parts without first checking and correcting any problems with these basic items.

Please, let us know what you find and the results of your efforts.
Rwc94303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:55 PM   #9

Class A Gas Motorhome Handling Upgrades That Work

I found a fella a few months ago on youtube that recently put out a great video to address these very problems. I think this will answer many of your questions:

mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:59 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
That spring and yellow bracket thing looks like some sort of aftermarket self-centering device, and it looks like it gave up the ghost a long time ago.

If it were me, I would remove the springs (leave the brackets for now) and take it for a drive and see how it goes, and then go from there.
X2 ~CA
Old 06-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #11

OK, that chassis is most certainly a Chevy/Workhorse P chassis.

The sway bar is most certainly an aftermarket by IPD who because Roadmaster. https://supersteerparts.com/products...-bushings.html

It is a GOOD ONE.

The "steering device" with the bend spring is most certainly Steer Safe aftermarket product: SteerSafe.com

Start by telling us if there are air bags inside the front coil springs. If so, what PSI are you running. If no air bags, try to find a PN on the coil springs/or even the color of the coil springs.

Have you checked the that there is no play in the BELL CRANKS? Here is an upgraded (bearings instead of bushings) if there is play: https://supersteerparts.com/products...7-chassis.html
Old 06-08-2021, 01:13 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That looks just like my P32 front end I just replaced. Mine went from kinda bad to tolerable (not great) for my efforts. I have no steering aids other than the stock stabilizer. Stock ball joints non greaseable so repair by replacement. Took me a couple months start to finish (with a day job) so if you're interested I'll pass on sources for the parts I used.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/work...on-522943.html

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #13
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
The first thing I would find out is what all of that yellow metal and spring is on the front end, maybe someone here will know, I certainly don't. The second thing is it looks like that sway bar has moved about an inch or so to the left, you need to find out why. After you do that get it to an alignment shop and see what the front end parts and alignment look like. The dartiness you describe could very likely be a toe issue. You also need to weigh coach and get axle weights and inflate the tires to the recommended pressure for the weight you are carrying. The alignment shop should do this but probably can't due to them not having a scale, but they might. After you have done all of the above then you should look at possible parts replacement you may not need anything new at all. You need to think of the front end as a system not a bunch of individual parts. Get what you have operating right before you start throwing parts at it. Good luck.
That yellow object and springs is a SteerSafe that is damaged. SteerSafe.com ¬Ľ Steer Safe Units

Edit: I see that wolfe10 already ID it.
Old 06-08-2021, 07:07 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
As the others said you have steer safe springs. They are a reputable company and have been in business for many years. There are a lot of customers in 18 wheelers and Rvs that have them and swear by them. The only thing they do is to keep the
coach from wandering and help in case of a blow out.
You have a Chevy chassis because Ford used slat springs in 1999. You are missing the air bags that are supposed be inside the coil springs. They must be replaced right away because the front end is not strong enough without the air bags. Next check your tire pressure. It should be around 80 pounds. There is a tag just to the side of your drivers sidewall that will give you inflation pressure. Overfilled tires will give a terrible ride.

Tags
suspension