Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2019, 03:14 AM   #1

What Color BACK UP Camera system to get??

Our coach has the OEM B&W camera and dashboard monitor that is beginning to fade out, so a replacement needs to be done. Several questions, please:

* any reason to NOT get a Color system?

* can the cable for our existing B&W camera be used for the color system?

* a Wireless system makes the install very simple, but will it perform if my coach has other wireless appliances working (TPMS, trailer braking)

* I would want a system that shows what's behind us all the time while driving, and maybe grid lines when backing up?

* Comments on any of these systems? https://www.smartrving.net/best-rv-backup-cameras/

A larger display would be a given, so small ones aren't going to work. An in-dash unit would be good for replacing what I have, so a windshield mount wouldn't work.

Installation can be done for any of them, so not a problem. Cost for something that is used during every trip....not an issue.

What else have you found that is worth thinking about?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2019, 05:24 PM   #2

Depending upon your price range, I have found Voyager wireless rear cameras to work well. If you wish, they also have 3 camera systems, and of course a color monitor.
Shop around, as there is a wide range of prices for the same model on the internet.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Many of your better RV's come with the Voyager camera system. I've had one in the last three RV's and never an issue.

In regards to wireless.....I would never install a wireless camera in an RV. They work okay when parked, but there is a LOT of stuff that will interfere with them on the road. I bought both my daughters a quality wireless camera system (I tried to convince them to go wired) and they both say it drops out all the time.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 PM   #4

Thanks, Dutch Star, because looking at what's coming up on me is important and drop-outs are a part of Murphy's Law, right?

Is the cable for color the same as for B&W? If not, is replacing a matter of just taping new to old, and pulling through the chassis?

I realize that it could be a two beer job, what with all the zip-ties, but is it any tougher than that?
Old 05-23-2019, 08:44 PM   #5

I have a 1994 Navigator and it had a b&w backup camera with crt monitor. I just replaced it with a color lcd 4 camera system. I agree to use wired, it just works. I put one camera in the place of the original backup and two tear drop on the sides. Works great. I do not know if I will install the fourth camera or not. Got it all from Amazon for $200.
MI Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:57 PM   #6

I am curious if you used the existing b&w wiring from your old system. That would greatly simplify making an upgrade.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:02 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"bamaboy473"...I'm not qualified to tell you if the cable will still work. The connections could be an issue. If so, you won't be able to pull the old cable, because it's typically tied down in several places. The quickest route would be to drop down the back wall and run it under the coach, along the frame, then back up through the firewall.

I would get the system and see if you get lucky with the cable, knowing you might have to replace it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:19 AM   #8

Running a cable under the coach would be no problem, and snaking it down the backside and up through the firewall would be worth doing because, if nothing else, a new cable beats a 20 year old one, and the connections are likely different.

Once the camera and the monitor are un-screwed and dis-lodged, learning the cable route becomes a lot easier.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Contact Rvcams in Baton Roughe, they will have the answer and the system that will work for you. I replaced an old ADTH black and white system with a color system and it used all my existing wiring.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:44 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Navigator View Post
I have a 1994 Navigator and it had a b&w backup camera with crt monitor. I just replaced it with a color lcd 4 camera system. I agree to use wired, it just works. I put one camera in the place of the original backup and two tear drop on the sides. Works great. I do not know if I will install the fourth camera or not. Got it all from Amazon for $200.
I did the same but single camera for less than $100. New cable wasn't diffacult to to run across the top of the rear cap using a snake and the clearance lights as access points. Cut off as much as I could reach of the old and abandoned what was left. Easy Saturday afternoon project.

Hardest part was fitting the new LCD dash monitor but no harder than installing an aftermarket radio.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #11

https://www.amazon.com/Voyager-VOM74...gateway&sr=8-5

Using this Voyager, what else would I want in a system?
Old 05-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #12

I replaced my system 3 years ago. I used the existing cable BUT cut off both ends and attached new connectors (soldered). I had enough slack at both ends. Works fine. I have 2 monitors .... 1 is color and single wide angle rear view. The other is color left/right with cameras near front mirrors. I used the existing front cameras and a new rear camera. My TripTek (engine and trip info) is connected to rear view (it is a switched "overlay" on the display. GPS is a separate unit.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
I am curious if you used the existing b&w wiring from your old system. That would greatly simplify making an upgrade.
My old obsolete 1999 Sony camera system had proprietary cable ends, they would not work with any other system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:49 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Sky View Post
I did for power to the system but not the cameras to the back. Thought about splicing in the new connectors on the old cable but just ran new wires.
MI Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera