Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2016, 09:45 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What comes after A

Having done winter trips to Florida and Arizona were changing our pattern to be more mobile in our travels - go cross country with short stays.
Were thinking of downsizing to have a smaller footprint - maybe fit into a regular on street parking spot. I like the look and features of the Chinook. All fibreglass molded unit with a genny and jacks.
Anyone else done this? Im not wild about the Sprinter profile.
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
My neighbor has a very nice 2015 Itasca Navion 24J listed in the Classifieds.

http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/sh...vion-24j&cat=7
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Many channels on youtube about downsizing. Check out "We're the Russos" channel, they are considering trading their class A for a class B. Chris & G went from a camper van to a Class A, all documented in their videos.

I guess I am becoming a bit of a youtube junkie...
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #4

We just went through the same challenges.. After having the Ultimate MH, 2009 45` Monaco Dynasty ( We traded this one for a home in Havasu with a swimming hole) we very enthusiastically tried a 2015 25` Forest River/Mercedes, then a 2015 Tiffin 31sa, then a 2016 Bounder, and now a 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR ( with the Cummins motor).This little diesel seems to be the best of all worlds for us and after having it for 1 week and 1000 miles. It is economical ( 10.5 MPG so far) , its quiet, has more quality built in than any of the others since the 31SA, is very easy to drive, and my wife loves it, ( most importantly). This is our last Coach and the ultimate week end Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1477758370.647273.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	142963
Camper, we will die with this one.
Breeze2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
great ideas thank you and yes the ability for DW to help with driving's a big plus.
I do realize that short wheelbase often equals a squirmy buckboard ride but willing to deal with it.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:09 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After careful analysis:
RVs are parked 98-99% of the time. Why would I live in something small?
I get 9 mpg in my 41' DP, smaller RVs get only 1-3 more mpg.
Manauvering it in tight spaces is only and biggest challenge.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:33 AM   #7

We went through the process of thinking about a smaller RV but then dropped the idea because of how much we were giving up. One thing about the Sprinter chassis is how little it can tow. Even though it has a 5K hitch, when you look at all the numbers, it can only tow about 3500 pounds if you have anything in the RV when you travel. Be sure and subtract the max weight the RV can be from the max combined weight and that will tell you what is can tow. We have a 4 door Jeep and it was too heavy to pull. Of course, the salesperson said we would be fine but we called Winnebago and they said no way.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
We went through the process of thinking about a smaller RV but then dropped the idea because of how much we were giving up. One thing about the Sprinter chassis is how little it can tow. Even though it has a 5K hitch, when you look at all the numbers, it can only tow about 3500 pounds if you have anything in the RV when you travel. Be sure and subtract the max weight the RV can be from the max combined weight and that will tell you what is can tow. We have a 4 door Jeep and it was too heavy to pull. Of course, the salesperson said we would be fine but we called Winnebago and they said no way.
My best friend traded his 36ft Winnebago DP for a View. He tows his 4 door Willys Wheeler Jeep from PA to AZ and back... no issues and his wife fills every single vacant space with "needed items", including stacking boxes in the shower. I'm pretty sure they're over their max, but he says it tows just fine.... the jeep weighs about 4200# as I recall. They've been back and forth twice.. just waiting for something to happen...nothing yet.....we'll see more when we caravan back from AZ with them this spring....
Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Again were thinking staying less than a week in most locations and may on occasion stay in a motel - heresy I know
The toad argument is a good one but if the vee is parkable in a small spot you could run errands in it - packing up each timed be a pain admitted.
The application would be short stays over long distance. We then would have a weekender for local camping with grandkids come summer.
It's a phase as you all well know. Nothings forever.
Happy motoring!
rB
Old 10-30-2016, 10:52 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
We have a 26 foot Class A and do not tow anything with it. We have no intention of going full time. I disconnect and make runs to the store if needed but that is rare. we plan our trips so that we see everything on our way to the CG, then stay a day or two then pack and move. I have never had a problem parking. Should we decide to stay put for a week I rent a car for the day if needed.

We avoid staying in a motel, that was the reason for getting the MH.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:03 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 27' C now (moved up in size from a 19' B). It still fits in pull through spaces if we aren't towing anything which is usually when traveling to visit one of the kids. We don't tow he car much anymore but do tow the Harleys in an enclosed 16' trailer with the canoe and kayaks on top when camping.

Didn't like the handling of the short As we tried and prefer to have the driver and passenger doors and air bags of the C's cab. Might be different if we were full timing but for traveling we prefer our C and don't want anything longer.
Old Radios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:28 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes nail on the head Travelling or staying.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:21 PM   #13

I've had two different friends with DP's shift to smaller. Both, after 10+ years of traveling in their 40' and 42' coaches.

One went with a lightly used LazyDaze. And they go out for one or two week trips at a time. Still tow their same Honda Gen 2 CRV AWD.

The second went with a Truck and large slide in camper. The camper is a big one, and has he electric jacks so they can leave it in a campground to go explore. He has always had a truck, and would not be without one - so for him this was a no brainer.

No right or wrong on this, lots of options, go with what works for you!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
Never forget this: A salesperson will tell you what THEY want you to hear. Just ask them to put it in writing (with a buyback provision for 90 days at full cost) and see how they act then.
It may be the truth, but it may not be. And once you buy it, it is your problem unless you get something in writing to the contrary.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote