Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #1

What could go wrong?

A nearby dealer has had a 2008 HR Endeavor on its lot for the 3 years I've been driving by there, so it may have been on the lot much longer.

Not only has it been sitting idle for that long, the coach only has 8200 miles on it.

What could go wrong?
WheelingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2018, 01:43 AM   #2

If it has been sitting for 3 years, there probably has to be many good reasons. It depends on how much you are willing to do and spend as to what the gamble is....
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
High probability it will need a bunch of time based maintenance items associated with the chassis and powertrain looked at along with replacing the batteries, tires and such. Priced accordingly with consideration of the cost to ensure reliability could be a good buy.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonlands View Post

What could go wrong?
EVERYTHING !
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:25 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The Dealer is probably asking too much for it - so it sits.

Check the NADA price (and RV Trader) to get an idea of the current value, and make an offer 20% below that for starters. And you need to know how it is equipped to get a fair price comparison.

2008 Holiday Rambler Price, 2008 Holiday Rambler Values & 2008 Holiday Rambler Specs | NADAguides
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
My rig was on the lot for over a year. It was a repo, and the bank could not take the loss until it sold. It was going into its second winter on the lot. They were asking $98k, booked about $110K, I offered $52k AS IS, bank took it three days later and did not even counter. What's the worst they can say? No? Ok...

What could possibly go wrong? Well, a lot. I obviously replaced all the fluids except the windshield washer. The black tank was full, but good news, the level indicators work! Tires had lots of tread but out of time. Hoses and belts replaced when I did the coolant flush and fill. Roof reseal, slide awnings replaced, lots and lots of cleaning. The batteries were new, but lowest quality. I bought the bumper to bumper zero deductible 5 year warranty and then the trailing arms needed replaced.

It can be done.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:44 AM   #7

Let's see, original tires, date coded out now, original batteries, shot, absolutely NO preventive maintenance in who knows how long? Generator probably never been run since it's sat there.

Not to mention (but I'm going to anyway) mice, ants, 10 layers of dead bugs, as well as live ones!

And the elephant in the room . . . . wait for it . . . . water damage, and or mold and mildew!

It's amazing the number of coaches we looked at at dealerships that:

• Obviously hadn't been cleaned since being listed/consigned. For God's sake, can't you at least sweep up all the dead bugs?!?
  • Had to be jump started since batteries were totally flat.
  • Where the smell of Fabreeze, Bleach, and Mold assaulted you immediately after you entered.
Water leakage can absolutely TOTAL a coach if not detected and rectified immediately. Regular inspections, or better yet, usage OFTEN is key to detecting water intrusion. Many are the coaches that we looked at, where the seller stated "Oh, we fixed the leak!" But they never addressed the damage caused by the leak! The typical response by sales people is "What leak!?!" or "What water damage?" Then when they state categorically that there IS no leak and there IS no water damage and then you press your finger through the wall next to the slide, they get all mad at you! Yep, that actually happened!

As stated, a coach like that MAY be a good deal if picked up for the right price, but the fact that it has been there for sale for so long probably means the dealership wants top dollar since it "only has 8,200 miles on it!"
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:04 AM   #8
mat

On the flip side... nothing may go wrong. Bought my 2007 motor home in 2013 that had been repo'ed in 09. 9450 miles on it. Shuffled around through a few dealers before I got it for a song. Still has the 06 dated tires on it (had Michelin examine them, got the ok) and with the exception of one blow out, (while parked) nothing has gone wrong. We now have 27,000 more miles on it, and finally last year had to change the coach batteries. Just saying.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:07 AM   #9

While no one can say for sure what could go wrong....a lot could be right! If the coach is what you want, I agree with a low offer to start. First I'd be doing a thorough inspection, including making sure every system/appliance works properly to see if I even wanted to make an offer. Time has probably taken a toll on some components and fluids, so I'd be ready to immediately take that work and expense on.

My current coach had been on the dealer's lot for over a year and I bought it at wholesale. Drove it 1600 miles home with no issues, but then immediately tackled fluid changes (except coolant which tested OK), air filter, generator fluids/filters, grease, front wheel bearing oil change/seals, and transmission filters/fluid. The next spring I did the air system and just last week changed out the coolant, belts and hoses (the belts and hoses were really still looking very good, but I think they were original at 11 years old, so did it as preventative.) Tires were date coded 2013, so those had been replaced just a few years before I bought it and are now just 5 years old. I've had no really serious complications.

It doesn't hurt to investigate the unit thoroughly and, if inclined, make an offer...or not. It's just a few hours of time.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #10

Thanks all.

I've stopped at this dealership to see a variety of coaches over the years and looking at my photos of these visits, I noticed this Endeavor is getting tired in appearance. It's a consignment rig and one of the highest priced of its model/year to be found.

A photo shows its plates expired in September of 2012 so it hasn't been driven legally for just a few months short of 6 years. I wouldn't trust the tires to get me beyond the closest shop capable of replacing them. The list goes on from there.

Whatever the situation is, it must not be good because I've seen many closely priced but inferior coaches come and go at this lot, while the Endeavor gathers more and more dust, and rust.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks all.

I've stopped at this dealership to see a variety of coaches over the years and looking at my photos of these visits, I noticed this Endeavor is getting tired in appearance. It's a consignment rig and one of the highest priced of its model/year to be found.

A photo shows its plates expired in September of 2012 so it hasn't been driven legally for just a few months short of 6 years. I wouldn't trust the tires to get me beyond the closest shop capable of replacing them. The list goes on from there.

Whatever the situation is, it must not be good because I've seen many closely priced but inferior coaches come and go at this lot, while the Endeavor gathers more and more dust, and rust.

Would you take it for 50% of asking? Make a ridiculous offer that you are ready to back. Buy the $5000 warranty and see. Do you think you could sell it for 60% of asking?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:57 PM   #12

Ah yeah, I figured it must be a consignment as no dealer would ever let a rig sit on their lot that long if they owned it outright. The seller must be holding out for a certain price and won't budge. They obviously are not hurting for money and want to get top dollar for the rig and have probably turned down a lot of offers. You'd think the dealer would advise them that the longer it sits like that, the harder it will be to sell for the premium price they evidently are holding out for.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #13

I shot them an email, asking for the details and info. I'll learn what the ownership status is and see if they provide any insight as to why it's been there forever.

I've long been a car buyer, owning more than 50 (only up to 5 at a time and rarely more than 2 or 3) and have come across used cars at new car lots that the dealers couldn't afford to sell at the market price, and watched them rot on the lot, after becoming the lot queen...much like this Endeavor has become.

If I were to buy this coach, it's obviously worth less than average market value, since it has been sitting, unmaintained for so long. Odds are it will continue sitting on their lot long after we have our coach, but you never know. If the price is right...
Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #14

Quote:
I shot them an email, asking for the details and info. I'll learn what the ownership status is and see if they provide any insight as to why it's been there forever.
Have you even dropped in and done a quick walkthrough on the coach?
That would be a prerequisite for me even bothering the seller with questions.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote