Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #1

What did you do when picking up New Coach?

Hi guys,

I’m buying a new coach out of state and will obviously go through a full PDI etc at the dealer. Did you drive right home from there or did you stick around the dealer at an RV park for a week? Giving you a chance to live in the Coach awhile and work all the systems?

That way any problems found you can go to the dealer and get them fixed before heading home. Love to hear your comments because we all know the 12 month warranty ends in a hurry.
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #2

The first time we just drove home two hours away, new coach.This time we pick up our new to us coach four hours away, at NIRVC Atlanta.We will be staying at there site for three days for orientation,and because this coach is used make sure all works fine.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 05:25 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We stayed over night at the dealer and had some repairs done the next day that we discovered over night. Also had many questions that they answered about the operation of some of the systems. Glad we did.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:00 PM   #4

I bought our last 3 coaches from a dealer 40 miles from our WI home. After we did the PDI on the 2003, I drove it home and let my son take it on an annual in-law trip to northern WI. After a month, we took it back for some minor adjustments. The second one in 2011, we bought while in AZ. My dealer in WI delivered it to us and drove the trade in back home. After a few trips, LeMesa in Tucson replaced the motor in the washing machine under Tiffin's warranty. Two years later, we ordered our 2013 Bus while in AZ, but picked it up when we got back to WI in May. Our local dealer handled the few small issues we had and can repair anything the factory can, so no unnecessary trips for repairs. It's so nice to have a relationship with the dealers service personal and be only 45 minutes away.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:11 PM   #5

I’ve purchased two new coaches within one year from General RV. If you can perform a PDI at the factory prior to shipment, do it. They’ll be able to fix far more than a dealer, especially when it comes to paint or cosmetics. Spend as much time at the dealer as you can to fix whatever is wrong that the dealer is capable of. I don’t think paint or touch up work can be done at the dealer level quickly. Any issue that requires new parts may take some time. Just adjust your expectations and realize it will take some time and trips to shake down the coach. You may have to go back to the manufacturer to get warranty satisfaction.

My dealer PDI was awful and resolved nothing but my expectations were low and they proved me right. I took delivery and I sent an email to my dealer sales rep on how to set the keyless entry and Winegard Connect. This is the reply I received:

“Happy New Year. Your best bet would be calling Tiffin. I am not sure how to do either of those. Hope you are enjoying some nice weather.”
Old 01-19-2021, 06:56 PM   #6

I know that Tiffin and Newmar allow PDI at there facility at a price... Not sure its a common practice other places however but will ask the question. I can certainly see the benefit of picking up at the factory.

I'm surprised to hear what you said about General RV. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:57 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would first check with the dealer and see if they're willing to let you return in the first few days for repairs. You could easily drive off and then be told that it's months before any repair openings are available.

I would hope that a reputable dealer would take you in immediately, if you just purchased and stick around the area, but you never know.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:07 PM   #8

That's a great thought Don, No sense staying around if they won't take me in after a week of shakedown.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
I know that Tiffin and Newmar allow PDI at there facility at a price... Not sure its a common practice other places however but will ask the question.

I'm surprised to hear what you said about General RV. I've heard nothing but good things about them.
It didn’t cost anything for the PDI at Tiffin. I had about 40 items that were fixed prior to shipment. Dealers will occasionally try to hit you up for a fee to walk you through the coach upon delivery. General RV wanted to charge me $3,000.

It was an awful experience from the minute I signed the build until delivery with General RV. You should determine where you’ll have warranty work done if the dealer is hours from you.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #10

Hey EcoRick, I’ve never heard of a dealer just walking you out to the motorhome and says goodby? And $3000 for a PDI... Again, never heard of such a thing? Did you dump his sister or something?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
WE had a great 2 day PDI and "camped" at the dealer (nice lake front site) for three nights to make sure all worked. Glad we did as there were a feew things that gotten taken care of right there.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:43 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We did the factory delivery, that gave us five days at the factory. We used up as much tech time as possible, got the coach settled, and got us used to living in the rig. Drove the 800 miles home from there with a few stops on the way.

Picking up next coach at dealer. Can stay on their lot, not sure how long. guess it will depend on how ready the coach is.

Best of luck.

j
New2road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
I picked up late on a Friday and drove to a local campground for 2 nights. Friday night & Saturday morning we stowed all the basic gear, i.e., hoses, drain hoses, pressure regulator, grill, TPMS, chairs, etc. Saturday afternoon, we outfit the kitchen and bedroom. Sunday morning we took off on a week-long 1,500 mile shakedown trip.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would strongly urge you to stay somewhere nearby for a few days! It's almost certain that you will find something that needs to be fixed!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote