Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2020, 03:26 PM   #1

What do I need (or want) to carry in our first RV - 43" Class A DP

So, as many of you may have noticed in my many posts, we jumped into the pool at the deep end and our first RV is a 43' DP with a tag axle. It's a 2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 4304. We're sitting here planning on what we need to buy to outfit it. Of course, we know about dishes, glasses, silverware, etc. Being newbies, what do we need that we might not think of until we need it and we don't have it?

Our coach has a Samsung residential RF18 fridge and I have already ordered a really trick item to keep all three doors closed.

I have to load up on tools, a gas grill, a foldable patio mat, etc. I'll probably pick up the top line Garmin nav unit. The Silverleaf VMSpc system looks really neat on a RCA tablet, it's fairly cheap. I might get one of them down the road. Anyone out there using this?

What are we missing? This is the fun part!
Doug427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #2

When we bought our first coach, we bought all the stuff we thought we would need spending probably $1500. Now on our fourth coach, every time we leave or go thru our bays we are always leaving more stuff at home.

Heres a couple of MUST haves that might not be that obvious to remember.

A good 50 amp surge protector (we just bought a new one at $360, but its worth it)
"Drinking water safe" hose for clean water hook up
Black tank flush hose (different from above)
hose adapters like a 90 and 45 degree bends
Water filters "coach filter" and one that goes in the line with the hose
Tools lots of tools!
Lawn chairs
BBQ if you think you need it
Ant powder (some places have ants.. we sprinkle a perimeter around the coach if needed)
Windshield and coach cleaning supplies

Good Luck!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:52 PM   #3

Like most of us, you will end up carrying more "Things" that you will ever use or need. Trial and error will narrow it down to what you will actually use. After 7 years with our current coach, I still have some "stuff" in the basement that I have never used. I've had the Silverleaf VMsp for several years and it has more information than I need to know. After the novelty of it wore off, I monitor the engine temp range, oil pressure, transmission temp, torque load, cruise control setting and ave mpg for best economy. The new version is supposed to accept TST pressure sensors, but I have the color monitor for them.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Add a 50 amp extention cord to the list.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:39 PM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
At the top of the list should be a good EMS protection system from Progressive Industries, such as the HW50C. This protects you against just about any AC problem. You'll pay $300-$350, but it's the cheapest insurance you can buy!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
At the top of the list should be a good EMS protection system from Progressive Industries, such as the HW50C. This protects you against just about any AC problem. You'll pay $300-$350, but it's the cheapest insurance you can buy!
X2 On the HW50C

Thats the one I bought and mentioned at the top of my list in post #2

I agree I should have mentioned the model.... thanks for doing that!

Good Luck!
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #7

Don't forget a good foldup ladder, helps clean windshield and installing wind shield screen.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:00 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NEED: (if not already installed)
— a good EMS. Many folks use the term “surge suppressor” in a generic sense, but you need a more comprehensive device. A power surge is extremely rare. Low voltage is your most likely encounter, and you need to protect all those installed devices. Recommend Progressive Industries of NC.
—. A good quality adjustable water pressure regulator. Recommend the Valterra 1117 or Watts 263 lines.
— a good TPMS, capable of monitoring all wheels- coach plus toad. I use the TST 507.
— a 110V small air compressor for adjusting tire air and general purpose use. Using the coach air system is cumbersome at best, and the smaller 12VDC units , imho, don’t have the flow capacity. Look at units that will maintain a min 150 PSI, with a min 4 gal tank.
— good quality sewer hose(s). Those cheap brown plastic units (stinky slinky) that snake all over the ground are a waste of money. Every turn slows the flow. Awkward to handle and cumbersome to clean. Avoid the so-called easy slip on joints, and the “ new” or “modern” types. No matter what you buy, you still have to dump your own sewage, so don’t be drawn in by the idea of a 1-1/2” hose, personal macerator, etc. stick with the tried n true 3” flexible hose, available just about everywhere.
Buy enough, at least two 15 ft sections. The two best are the Rhinoflex (orange connectors) and the Valterra Dominator (red joints). They both have the factory installed, industry standard, tough four-prong bayonet joints, the Valterra fittings being a bit more compact- which you may find helpful sometime. That are constructed of heavy duty semi-rigid hose, where you set the length you need and it remains stable, giving you a straight line, properly pitched run from outlet to CG ground connector.

Good Luck, and congrats!!
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #9

A good 75 foot standard extension cord, some movies and games, a couple of outdoor folding chairs, a broom, small vacuum cleaner, and a quality GPS.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:27 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
The absolute necessities are, in my opinion:
1. Electrical adapters: 15 amp male to 50 female. 30 amp male to 50 amp female.
2. Good sewer hoses with clear adapters so you can see when your tanks are clean. I use RhinoFLEX.
3. Zero G water hose, the only one to ever buy.

That's it. Those are mandatory IMO, everything else is fluff or nice to have.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Hatchet, ax, shovel, parachute cord, stakes, couple of decent tarps, extra door mats, firewood bin, empty fuel jug, empty water jug, propane torch,
first aid kit, outside fire extinguisher, tablecloths, citronella candles, bug spray, lantern, Honda EU2000 just in case, full fresh water tank.
In addition to all above. Gotta love big basements.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #12

50 amp to 30 amp adapter. Oops, sorry, late to the show.

Caulk gun & tubes of Dicor.
Cincy Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 11:18 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Stuff

1. Power cord and 25-30ft extension
2. Power cord adapters, if you have 50 amp, then carry a 30amp to 50 amp adapter (dog bone), I also carry a 20amp to 30 amp adapter
3. 25 to 30ft of quality sewer hose
4. Sewer hose slinky to maintain slope, required at some parks
5. Sewer hose wrench set and drain plug wrench, usually orange plastic
6. Spare sewer hose end washers
7. Box of disposable gloves for handling sewer lines, the 5 mil ones are fine to me
8. Two 25 ft drinking water hoses. I use a pair of 300lb burst hoses
9. 45 or 90 degree brass water hose adapter to ease the bend at the RV
10. Spare hose washers
11. A hand towel/ shop towel to dry your hands from wet hoses. Sometimes hoses and power cords need to be wiped down from mud/dirt, etc.
12. A brass hose Y adapter. Sometimes you have to share a water facet
13. Another hose for black tank flushing, I put red electrical tape on both ends to identify it from my drinking water hoses.
14. A water bandit to connect to damaged hose bibs
15. Either a portable or built in water filter. Use can use Camco blue filters, very common or plump in a residential whole house water filter
16. A water pressure regulator, I use a residential Watts unit with ½ pipe fittings. Mine is built into the internal system. Could be adapter to use outside. Most of the “pressure” regulators you find are really water flow reducers. They do reduce the pressure but may also reduce the water flow. These are the same as a true pressure regulator. But you need something because some parks have really high water pressure that may damage your plumbing.
17. Variety of flashlights, perhaps hand held and head lamps as you like.
18. Spare batteries for anything that uses them
19. Some kind of jack pads to protect the pavement or prevent the jacks/levers from sinking into soft ground.
20. Front door mat
21. May want a RV patio rug
22. Folding chairs as desired. Common is to carry two. If company comes over its bring your own chairs typically
23. Perhaps a folding table/table cloth and hold down clips as desired
24. Outdoor grill if you like. RV may have an external propane connection for a grill. If so you’ll need the hose adapter.
25. Borax or other ant repellant for some places
26. Tools and spare parts, that’s another long list for me. Some people only carry a credit card for a tool set. What ever is your style.
27. Other toys as desired.
28. We use various plastic tubs to store this stuff in to keep thing neater in the storage compartments. What works varies greatly. Keep sewer stuff away from drinking water stuff.
29. Consider the age old debate if you want to carry a mounted spare tire, just a spare or none. This is always a lively thread subject, just search for it, you don’t want to start another thread on this subject.
30. An electrical power protection device, like a PD 30 or 50 amp device, either built in or portable. I always use the built in version, another lively debate subject, search for it.
31. Some people like having an autoformer. Like a Hughes Autoformer. Used to correct low voltage, may be prohibited at some parks, just saying.
32. Sometimes you may need something to force/keep your sewer hose in the drain hole when things fit well. I just find something local, others like carry a weight of some kind, you choice.
33. I also carry a sewer riser section. Simply a 3” male threaded ABS adapter joined to a female threaded adapter. About 6” long overall. Nice when the sewer drain is in the bottom of a concrete depression that your 90 degree hose end can’t fit. Not a common problem, but I see it. Parts from Lowes or HD.
34. Depending on where you travel you may want a RV GPS system. We just use a phone app for our GPS, your choice
35. A tire pressure monitoring system, TPMS. It can save a lots of trouble and damage. Some rigs may come with one. There are several good ones, again search for a thread, already a beat to death subject.
36. A small air compressor to inflate tires as needed. A common option is the Viair 450 model, could be an 120v electric unit as well. Just make sure it generates at 25-30 PSI above your tire pressure. Many options here, search for it.
37. A good quality tire pressure gauge. I like digital ones.
38. Good paper maps as well as digital GPS, maps, trip planning tools etc.
39. A pair of walkie-talkies is very handing to get backed into some camp-sites.
40. Small vacuum and broom/dust pan and assorted cleaning supplies for both inside and outside.
41. A ladder to clean windows and what not.

Just experience, we don’t really need all the clothes we frequently leave home with. Sometimes, we’ve went to heavy on warm stuff and not enough colder stuff and then got to buy more. Not a problem to the DW.

We keep a set of files on board for all of our repair/improvement expense and stuff. Also carry another file for camp reservations and trip information.

Oh I don’t forget your significant other when departing.

Most of all have fun and be safe….
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:05 PM   #14

I don't think it was on the list so

Oil, engine antifreeze, hydraulic fluid, windshield wiper fluid, cleaning supplies for the exterior and windshield

For tools the sets in nice molded cases work well, easy to store and keep track of
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a