Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #1

What do you use for pest control?

Noticed a couple spiders in my coach. Do you all use the same bug sprays that you use around a normal house I’m assuming.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have no spiders in our RV. We have them in our S&B and lay out sticky cardboard spider traps. Works fine.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #3

Tempo is the best overall and available as an emulsion or powder
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM   #4

The one issue we have had was ants. Sprinkled diatomaceous earth in the cargo area and the ants are dead and gone...
Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #5

I usec to bug bomb my fiver each spring. Not a big deal as long as you air it out good before you go out.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:55 AM   #6

Instead of using DIY methods for pest control it is always better to take help from professionals because DIY methods can control pest for some time but they will come back again. So, Pest Control Near Fairfield CT can help you to control, maintain and prevent pests using methods which are safer for the environment. They know where different types of pests live and will attack at those places with most care.
MaryGriffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 04:30 AM   #7

Man, DIY pest control is perfectly fine. I’ve done my own pest control for decades around my houses and rv.
I use Bifen IT. You can order it here. A pint will last you years. This is what many pest control places use for indoor and outdoor perimeter spraying

https://store.doyourownpestcontrol.com/bifen-it
Devenhallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #8

I use physics. (kg*m/s) A rolled up magazine provides the mass, and my arm the velocity.

Now, if the the spider is huge, I call in the person who is a spider's worst nightmare - my wife. She's been the primary 8 legged beast slayer in my house for over 30 years. Spiders tremble in fear at the mere sight of her. Her prefered method is to grab a Kleenex and to crush the little monsters with her bare hands. Her thumb and forefinger have seen a lot of death between the two of them. I just pray to God that I never make her mad enough to go after me with a Kleenex.

All kidding aside, whatever works for you at home. The only drawback to household sprays is they can leave a smell for a while, especially in a smaller area such as an RV. If that doesn't bother you, then spray away.

I used one product mentioned above at work, Tempo SC Ultra. A 250ml container would last the average person a lifetime. I see Ace Hardware now carries a small household sized container which is a better choice. What I liked about it was; it is very effective, is virtually odorless, and has a residual effect. The negative is, you must mix your own and it can settle out of suspension in the spray bottle if you store it mixed. Being a concentrate, it's pretty easy for the average person to mix it too strong because the mix doesn't look like much at the proper mix ratios and it's difficult to measure out the small amount needed for a household spray bottle (Here's a tip - get a syringe at a drugstore or farm and garden). It's excellent as a crack and crevice spray. Just don't use it to spray bugs on flowers because it will kill any bees that visit later.

One last thing that goes for whatever you use - READ THE LABEL! Knowing how to properly use the product is the #1 thing you can do to ensure you are applying it as safe a manner as possible. Sorry, I had to say that, it was hammered into me at every recert class I took for many years.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrnmrtom View Post
I use physics. (kg*m/s) A rolled up magazine provides the mass, and my arm the velocity.

Now, if the the spider is huge, I call in the person who is a spider's worst nightmare - my wife. She's been the primary 8 legged beast slayer in my house for over 30 years. Spiders tremble in fear at the mere sight of her. Her prefered method is to grab a Kleenex and to crush the little monsters with her bare hands. Her thumb and forefinger have seen a lot of death between the two of them. I just pray to God that I never make her mad enough to go after me with a Kleenex.

All kidding aside, whatever works for you at home. The only drawback to household sprays is they can leave a smell for a while, especially in a smaller area such as an RV. If that doesn't bother you, then spray away.

I used one product mentioned above at work, Tempo SC Ultra. A 250ml container would last the average person a lifetime. I see Ace Hardware now carries a small household sized container which is a better choice. What I liked about it was; it is very effective, is virtually odorless, and has a residual effect. The negative is, you must mix your own and it can settle out of suspension in the spray bottle if you store it mixed. Being a concentrate, it's pretty easy for the average person to mix it too strong because the mix doesn't look like much at the proper mix ratios and it's difficult to measure out the small amount needed for a household spray bottle (Here's a tip - get a syringe at a drugstore or farm and garden). It's excellent as a crack and crevice spray. Just don't use it to spray bugs on flowers because it will kill any bees that visit later.

One last thing that goes for whatever you use - READ THE LABEL! Knowing how to properly use the product is the #1 thing you can do to ensure you are applying it as safe a manner as possible. Sorry, I had to say that, it was hammered into me at every recert class I took for many years.
As recommended earlier this is the best, safest product available

I use a gallon sprayer which takes one ounce

In the Tuscany, the powder works well behind and at the back of cabinets or behind hard to get areas

Safe in the kitchen as well
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #10

I use electronic devices in the house and boat. It seems to keep the spiders out-so far. They have been in place for about a year.

For other critters I have had very good luck with Ortho Home Defense. I get it in a gallon spray container. I use it to spray around the house and dock & power lines at the marina. I also spray ants in the yard when I see them. I will get a small spray bottle to put in the RV. Previously I have used a powder but find the spray is easier.I normally place it at the wheels and any lines & hoses that come into the RV.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #11

"demand CS" from Amazon. 1 oz per gallon of water in a garden sprayer. For a typical 40 ft RV of 400sf you would use 1/4 oz or maybe 1/2 oz with 1/2 gal of water for a shock or initial treatment. This stuff is the kind that if a bug walks, crawls across the line you spray, they will die. Good for 3 months.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:36 PM   #12

Spiders are your friend. They eliminate all the other bugs for you. I never kill the spiders.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote