Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 09:22 AM   #15

Our LP tank gauge reads half all the time, never changes. Talking about this problem to the guys who fill RV LP tanks at campgrounds, Pilot-Flying J and RV techs and dealers, I believe that very very few LP tank gauges are accurate if they work at all. Our tank holds about 24 gallons at 80% and we have never run out. I apologize to the guy who just filled us with just 6 gallons. He said, "No problem. No body knows how much they really have until they completely run out." About every 6 months or so we top-off our LP tank. We are full timers and have never run out, not even during the winter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 05:01 PM   #16

Thanks everyone.

Understandiing the inaccuracies of these gauges now, I got the tank filled when the gauge showed a little under 1/2.

So now I have a number related to the position of 1/2 on the tank. I will try to do the same a couple of more times to see if 1/2 on this tank is the same every time.

Given that Propane exppands and contracts with the temperature I am guessing there will be a +- involved here.

My gauge does show various points as the tank is filled, and emptied (at least between 1/2 and 3/4).
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #17

I'm new at all this so be gentle....I just bought a 33 ft 2003 Georgie Boy Velocity. My LP gauge is malfunctioning I think.. The needle is below the Empty line and the panel inside shows Empty too. I had tank refilled but gauge stayed the same and the panel inside shows Empty too. I disconnected the gauge and the panel inside showed full. Scratching my head now. I took gauge to a dealer and they checked it and said it was OK. I'm not convinced. How can I ck the gauge? Not very proficient with volt/ohm meters but I checked continuity between the two leads (one red orange, one white) and there was an audible sound there so I assume it's OK. I'm not sure about the little magnet. How to ck the two leads for power? Anyone there that put me on the right track or is it a 'must' to have that gauge connected?...Jim
jpbodiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #18

Don't worry about the interior gauge until you get the one on the outside working correctly. The outside gauge is the sending unit for the internal one.

There's a float inside the tank, that drives the sending unit through a set of gears. These gears are not exactly high quality/precision cut, so they do stick on occasion. Often, all you need to do is drive it around or hit a bump to get it working again. The sloshing of the liquid LP will jostle the float a bit.

At best, these gauges are just there to give you an idea of what's in the tank. If you just filled it, you're good to go for quite a while unless you're using the furnace. Cooking and refer only should last at least a full season.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruelens View Post
I took a Sharpie marker and marked the gauge face where the needle is. Then after filling wrote the number of gallons on the tank beside the mark. Having 3 such reference marks at different levels, they give me at a glance of the tank gauge, approx how much propane I have used.
Yep, same thing. when completely empty marked it with a sharpy. Then filled it and marked it again. Put a middle mark for 1/2 tank. I ignore the "in coach" gage.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #20

Here's a test that will tell you how much propane you have left...

Run your hand up and down the tank from top to bottom. You will feel a temperature change. The cooler portion is the propane level. That will give you an idea do how accurate the gauge is.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Propane gauges are a lot like political campaign speeches. There is very little you can believe. I bought a strip from a barbeque shap that sticks on the end of my tank that shows the propane level by color change from the cold temperature of the propane.
It works great.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.j.sharks View Post
If you are an optimist it means the tank is half full....if you are a pessimist it means the tank is half empty....
Sorry, just couldn't resist...lol Happy New Year everyone....
If you are filling the tank, it is half full. If you are drawing it down, it is half empty. If you are putting water in a glass, it is half full, if drinking, it is half empty. Sorry to rain on your parade.
BobMontgomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank