RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2017, 10:55 PM   #1

What does everyone use for Cell and WiFi

What does everyone use for Cell and WiFi. We are going to be in an area for 6 mths that has lousy
fotoman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #2

Have had good success with Verizon service across the country, including some pretty remote locations where other providers had no signal.
Of course, that also makes them the most expensive !
We use our I Phones as hotspots.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Typically Verizon has the most compresensive civerage, then AT&T, next TMobile, with Sprint Trailing.

A cellular booster can help in weak signal areas. But of course can't help if no signal to boost.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 03:39 AM   #4

How we watch streaming video & have internet access

The way we do it is:
When we bought our MH, our living room TV already had HDMI but our master bedroom have an older 19" TV that did not. So we upgraded that TV by buying a Samsung 32" TV from Best Buy that did have HDMI for $187. So now each TV has a HDMI cable plugged in and we just move the Mac Air to whatever TV we want to watch, plug in the HDMI cable.

We have a Mac Air laptop, I bought an adapter that plugs into my Thunderbolt port on one end and it has a HDMI on the other. Then I plug a standard 3' HDMI cable into that and the other end into the back of the TV. We use the Mac Air to login to our online streaming act's like Netflix and it plays both on the Mac Air and the TV and all the content that we watch is controlled on the Mac Air except for the sound. That is controlled with the TV remote control.

To hook up and get content, we have a small mobile Hotspot box from T-Mobile for $20/mo. with a 3gig plan and that's how we connect to the internet for all other internet needs too. It's just added to our regular phone plan as an added device and a separate line item charge. They have larger plans if you need them. With our plan, T-Mobile does NOT charge us for streaming content against our plan through that hotspot using our laptop as the channeling device. So we watch, Hulu, Netflix & Amazon Prime FREE with no limits. Have never had a place yet that we didn't have a signal. Great, cheap way to have internet access while under way too. In fact I'm hooked up to it as I write this post sitting outside drinking coffee.

If your in a lousy area for long periods of time you may want to look into "WIFI Ranger" to help boost a weak signal. I know some folks use that here, but they're not cheap and requires quite a bit of an install. I doubt a 6mo. period though will justify the cost & hassle.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:08 AM   #5

Verizon for service, iPhone 6's for cell and wifi.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:29 AM   #6

here's a full timers point of view

by a couple that boondocks as much as possible and they updated there info today.

Mobile Internet & Phone Communications for RV Living - A Minimalist Solution! | Roads Less Traveled
Old 07-08-2017, 06:33 AM   #7

We have Verizon phones - but got rid of our JetPack hotspot due to cost. Now have the Mobley Connected car hotspot (AT&T Connected Car program): $20/month unlimited data (see this thread for LOTS of information: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/20-un...ce-337555.html). I plug it into the OBD port under the steering column and set it to never sleep (I also have a USB power adapter so I can use it elsewhere if needed.

Inside the rig I also have a UBNT air gateway which uses the Mobley to access the internet and is setup for an in-RV secure network so all devices (including wireless printer) can login to the same wifi network each time: the how-to on this part of the system: https://outsideourbubble.com/secure-...for-under-100/

I like gadgets a little too much....
Old 07-08-2017, 06:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Have had good success with Verizon service across the country, including some pretty remote locations where other providers had no signal.
Of course, that also makes them the most expensive !
We use our I Phones as hotspots.
Second that!
That's what we do too.
Dan and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote