Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2021, 08:20 PM   #15

National average for diesel in Nov 2020 was $2.432. Now it is $3.287. That is an increase of 35%. Gasoline was $2.086, now $3.035. Up 45%. So fuel does cost a lot more, but if we wanted cheap we would not drive an RV. See the chart at https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_nus_m.htm
Hurricane-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The following from my fuel spreadsheet for average diesel fuel prices that we paid:

2017 - $2.75
2018 - $3.28
2019 - $3.15
2020 - $1.97 (one snowbird trip from NV to AZ)

The year with our highest travel mileage was 2018.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #17

None. We did not buy a motorhome to get good mileage or to save money.

Airfare, car rental and much more increase with the cost of fuel. Our choices boil down to staying home or having and adventure. I suppose, if the prices are waaaaaay high we'd just choose places to camp closer to home.
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:12 PM   #18

My thread seems to have struck a nerve with some of you. Maybe I should have re-phrased it a little. First off, my travel plans have not changed but the direction we're headed, it could. So let me re-phrase my question.
At what price does the cost of fuel become a contributing factor?

$5.00 a gal?
$6.00 a gal?
Maybe it doesn't.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #19
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As much as some say it has no impact, there are a lot of people on fixed incomes/SS, that enjoy travelling a little farther and more often, but high gas prices will curtail their travels. Seems many are quick to forget that a recession with high fuel prices, just about sank the RV industry, just ten years ago.

My personal opinion.....let electric cars worked their way into society, rather than trying to shove them down our throat. People really like them and will buy them, without being coerced.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:39 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[QUOTE=lockinload;5818001
Maybe it doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Nope. Doesnt. As others have said, if it was going to be a problem, I wouldnt RV.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockinload View Post
Up over 50% here in Colorado since last year. Have gone from 20 cents a mile to 33 cents. If it keeps climbing, my travel plans will change. That said, I'm not a full timer but pretty sure it has to impact those of you that are.

I dont like fuel prices going up but it want change a thing . Diesel was $5.00 a gallon when I purchased it. When you figure all of the expenses of own a MH any fuel increases are a drop in the bucket .
Old 07-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #22

Quote:
My thread seems to have struck a nerve with some of you. Maybe I should have re-phrased it a little. First off, my travel plans have not changed but the direction we're headed, it could. So let me re-phrase my question.
At what price does the cost of fuel become a contributing factor?

$5.00 a gal?
$6.00 a gal?
Maybe it doesn't.
It is tempting to say that price makes no difference to me, but that is true only within some reasonable range. Would $4.00 a gallon make a difference? No. Would $40.00 a gallon make a difference. Definitely yes.

And it is more than just the cost of travel. If gas/diesel prices rise too much it will kill the RV industry and thus shut down all of the RV related businesses as well. Who is going to run an RV park if gas prices are so high that no one feels able to travel? Who is going to run RV repair shops when there are no RVs on the road due to $50.00/gallon prices or gas rationing or gas shortages?

One other related item. What is going to happen to gas/diesel stations in places like California and Washington when new gas or diesel vehicles can not be purchased or registered? And what is that going to do to RV travel in those states? Or RV repair shops? The entire RV industry depends upon reasonable access to fuel at reasonable prices and if that disappears the RV industry may not be far behind.

Yes. Some people believe that RVs will transition to electric, but I am not sure that the technology will be ready for 40 foot 10 ton RVs running on batteries in the next few years. I think it is more likely that RVs will have to shrink in size and weight to accommodate electric operation and that is one more thing that may have an adverse affect on the RV industry. Are those people who love their 40 or 45 foot diesel pushers going to be satisfied with a 30 foot electric Class C?

But then perhaps I am just a pessimist.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:07 PM   #23

Colorado in March instead of Utah in Feb. What was I thinking, anyway?
Old 07-04-2021, 03:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
It is tempting to say that price makes no difference to me, but that is true only within some reasonable range. Would $4.00 a gallon make a difference? No. Would $40.00 a gallon make a difference. Definitely yes.

And it is more than just the cost of travel. If gas/diesel prices rise too much it will kill the RV industry and thus shut down all of the RV related businesses as well. Who is going to run an RV park if gas prices are so high that no one feels able to travel? Who is going to run RV repair shops when there are no RVs on the road due to $50.00/gallon prices or gas rationing or gas shortages?

One other related item. What is going to happen to gas/diesel stations in places like California and Washington when new gas or diesel vehicles can not be purchased or registered? And what is that going to do to RV travel in those states? Or RV repair shops? The entire RV industry depends upon reasonable access to fuel at reasonable prices and if that disappears the RV industry may not be far behind.

Yes. Some people believe that RVs will transition to electric, but I am not sure that the technology will be ready for 40 foot 10 ton RVs running on batteries in the next few years. I think it is more likely that RVs will have to shrink in size and weight to accommodate electric operation and that is one more thing that may have an adverse affect on the RV industry. Are those people who love their 40 or 45 foot diesel pushers going to be satisfied with a 30 foot electric Class C?

But then perhaps I am just a pessimist.
Good post. Just my personal opinion but I don’t think electric vehicles will have any affect on RVing, even in places that are phasing out sales of light vehicles and trucks in the next 15 years like most of Europe, most of Asia, all of Canada as well as certain US states. I haven’t seen any planned phase outs of heavy vehicles yet so motorhomes are safe for awhile. Electric pickups will evolve so much in the next 15 years that no one will want a gas pickup in 15 years. Diesel, who knows. Diesel is very good at the heavy lifting stuff.

I think petrol companies will have a lot of pressure on them to keep prices down or the transition to electric vehicles will just go faster. For most people all it takes is a test drive and it’s over. Right now where we are it costs about 1/5 to go somewhere in an electric car than a gas car. If prices of gas go up to 7 or 8 times as much the decision is even easier. And the maintenance of an EV is pretty close to zero and that’s from personal experience. Petrol companies know all this and I suspect if anything they will find a way to drop prices not raise them, and maybe even increase oil change intervals to 3 or 4 times what they are. Whatever it takes to keep customers. Right now they lose around 6000 customers a day to people buying vehicles without gas tanks, exhaust pipes and oil sumps. In two years that will be double, and two years later double that again. Petrol companies will do whatever it takes to slow that down. It can’t be stopped but it can be slowed down. And in the mean time they can develop new products for new markets. New plastics, new construction materials etc. It’s a big industry. It will survive and thrive. Just less so in the fuel industry.

All just my humble opinion.

John
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Nope. Doesnt. As others have said, if it was going to be a problem, I wouldnt RV.

Not everyone has a half a million to drop on a new RV and Toad but good for you, that you can.

I retired a year ago and am comfortable, have a new bass boat and a drift boat for fly fishing, but I still have to live modestly with my purchases. I now have to stop playing golf for a week prior to an RV trip. Just kidding but I would hate to see that happen.
Old 07-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #26

At some point price would make a difference. Just not there yet. have paid higher than what it is now.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 05:05 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenb12 View Post
At some point price would make a difference. Just not there yet. have paid higher than what it is now.

Oh I remember diesel at 3.89 plus, in Idaho, that was about 5 years ago. If only there was a common denominator?
Old 07-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Oh I remember diesel at 3.89 plus, in Idaho, that was about 5 years ago. If only there was a common denominator?
There is a common denominator, when the economy does well there is an increase in demand for gasoline/diesel which puts upward pressure on prices, conversely, when the economy declines, demand for gasoline/diesel declines, putting downward pressure on prices for gasoline/diesel.

Tags
diesel, travel