Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Be careful on the roof if you use 303. That stuff is slippery!
I have not had an issue with 303 aerospace being slippery..even after application
Odd....even use it on tires and trims after polishing and those are not greasy or slick once applied and dried

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2021, 07:08 AM   #16

Thanks to all of you for the great advice.
Old 12-09-2021, 07:29 AM   #17

found it on amazon 1 gallon container 303 Aerospace protectant
much cheaper than buying small spray bottle
doublechevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Doug,
There's lots of opinions on this and here's mine. In short, it's a fiberglass roof. To *coat* it with just about ANYTHING, is in my opinion, not the best route for these roofs. It's a choice thing. You do what you feel is right for you and your roof. On mine, It wasn't in too bad of shape when we took the coach over, about 10+ years ago. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. So, I've done quite a bit of paint "Cut-n-buff" operations and my roof was in need of something similar.

So, I got up there and first thing was to wash it thoroughly with good soap and water and some cleanser to rid it of oxidation. Then, I had to scrape off the blobs of Silicone that the folks that did the King Dome install, got all over the place. Once that was done, out came my 100' extension cord, my Dewalt professional buffer (not a random orbital but, a real buffer) and some 3M polishing compound.

It took me two days, start to finish which included a wax job with Kit car wax when done. The results you see below. I myself, will never put any product on that roof. It doesn't need it. The pics of what you see, were taken several years ago when I first did it. It has dulled quite a bit but, still has a great finish with ZERO streaking whenever it rains, or I wash the roof off. I'm due for another couple days up there and to that process again.

Yep, it's work, no doubt about it. But, when you're done, the fiberglass surface is in seriously better shape than just putting a coating on it. Anyway, again, it's a choice thing. Oh, yes, for those worry warts that yell and scream "it's gonna be real slippery" when it's wet up there. Duuuhhhhh, OF COURSE it's gonna be slippery when wet. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that. Nobody said to get up there and square dance when it's raining!!!
Scott

P.S. Some will comment on why do that much work when no one will see it. First off, I WILL SEE IT. Second, that roof is now PRESERVED.
Scott,
Beautiful job! I did the same with mine although much smaller than yours and I used Mequiar's Marine products. I am curious, does your rig stay outdoors under that cover all the time and if so how long did the shine stay? I did mine in August but mine lives indoors when not travelling so I am hoping to go a year or two between waxing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	finished3.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	351012  
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
The question is, what are you guys using to wash and protect your fiberglass roofs?
I painted on a couple layers of TropiCool roof coating.
echristley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:16 PM   #20

Fiberglass Roof Maintenance from Sun

I’m wondering too whether to clean then use wax or a UV protectant or both. We have a 2018 Tiffin Phaeton and volunteer on the Santa Cruz, CA beach three straight months every summer. It gets morning moisture and blazing sun no shade. Any suggestions to best maintain the fiberglass roof? The roof (gel coat?) seems to be breaking down as a chalky substance comes off on your hand when you gently rub it. My husband has kept it waxed. We’ve seen other protective products online such as 303 Touchless Sealant UV Protection (spray on) and Dicor Roof Coating (roll on). Our experienced Tiffin repair shop in northern Calif recommends just wax it don't use a protectant. Another RV service service/detail shop suggests using one of the UV protective products but it didn’t sound like he'd had much experience with it. I do wonder if the Dicor could become a mess if it breaks down/starts peeling, etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
DebbieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:19 PM   #21

FIBERGLASS Roof Maintenance from Sun

I’m wondering too whether to clean then use wax or a UV protectant or both. We have a 2018 Tiffin Phaeton and volunteer on the Santa Cruz, CA beach three straight months every summer. It gets morning moisture and blazing sun no shade. Any suggestions to best maintain the fiberglass roof? The roof (gel coat?) seems to be breaking down as a chalky substance comes off on your hand when you gently rub it. My husband has kept it waxed. We’ve seen other protective products online such as 303 Touchless Sealant UV Protection (spray on) and Dicor Roof Coating (roll on). Our experienced Tiffin repair shop in northern Calif recommends just wax it don't use a protectant. Another RV service service/detail shop suggests using one of the UV protective products but it didn’t sound like he'd had much experience with it. Sounds like at least one person here uses was then 303. I do wonder if the Dicor could become a mess if it breaks down/starts peeling, etc.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
DebbieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 09:47 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
303 works great if used regularly.

Tags
fiberglass, roof