Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2022, 11:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Can you read road signs? Can you read maps? Do you have enough “spatial aptitude” to understand north-up, east, west, and south? Can you take a few pieces of information and make a decision?
You have everything you need in Google Maps (free), with a few cross checks against the GM satellite view. A GPS to guard against low overpasses and weak bridges is only as reliable as the database the producers are willing to pay for, which usually isn’t much.
Google Maps requires an Internet connection, not possible everywhere. Great for route planning or as a secondary. DW runs it while we drive and if we have doubts about where the GPS is sending us we cross-check it with Google Maps if we have a connection.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2022, 12:06 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamJam1 View Post
Google Maps requires an Internet connection, not possible everywhere. Great for route planning or as a secondary. DW runs it while we drive and if we have doubts about where the GPS is sending us we cross-check it with Google Maps if we have a connection.
Google Maps allows you to download offline maps before you leave as well. I'm not sure if Google Maps will route you on safe roads with overpasses above 15' though. Not sure if there is a setting for that.
mdntblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 05:45 AM   #31

We seem to find ourselves in parts of the country without any cell service (Verizon) whatsoever. Notta, zip, zero. Hence our 1090 and paper maps lead the way.
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 06:23 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
There is a common misconception that mobile navigation apps require an internet connection to function. This had some validity many years ago, but today this is simply not true. I know of no navigation app that does not have a map download feature that allows downloading the necessary maps prior to taking the trip. This only require a little forethought and prepreation. There are also apps such as Copilot that allow downloading all of North America.. there may be other reasons to not use these mobile apps, but not being able to operate off line is not one of them.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #33

What GPS is best for class A RV trips ?

I made my living as a trucker for several decades.. So finding my way in areas that were (in many cases) unfamiliar to me was my way of life..
During the first portion of my trucking years (beginning in 1980) and before people carried smart phones, as well, the road map and/or road atlas were just about the the only reference sources, so I had to become pretty good at using those.. GPS technology did exist for a number of years before the government finally approved it for public use (about 1983)
But a lot of truckers (myself included) were not open to the idea of using it, at least at first, they were so accustomed to the road map method..
In later years, of course I did adapt very well to using GPS, to the point I could say I "would not want to be without it" on any road trip.
So about which GPS is best for RV usage - the bargain priced ones or "off brands" may disappointed me (you get what you pay for) I myself like to stick with Garmin or Rand McNally.. I will always choose a unit which allows user to program the height, width, and gross weight into the "vehicle settings" This means one that is specific for Truck and/or RV. (Then you can always use that same GPS for any side trips in your toad or other vehicle, just click on "car" in the settings when you boot it up.. )
A GPS is really just a small computer of course, and as you get used to one, it will do a whole lot of great things for you ! .. They must be updated periodically, very easy to do though.. Such features as displaying your rate of speed, your ETA, highway miles to your destination, compass direction you are traveling, traffic conditions alerts on your route, suggested detours if you need them, what lane is best for you to set yourself up in at that intersection up ahead .. This thing is so much better than using a smart phone. A GPS might show the road you are on as being in the middle of a field sometimes, but not all that often. It is still up to the driver to have your wits about you, being alert to such things as low bridges and such. GPS might route you somewhat incorrectly at times, due mostly to programming errors..
So in my opinion, there really isn't any certain GPS brand name that is the "best" one for RVers to use, It is more a matter of user's skill level. i would advise to any RVer who does not have one, go get one by all means. Truck stop or big RV store is probably the worst place to shop for one.. Check out the big Online retailer that starts with "Ama&$% Good Luck to you, and Most of All, Be Safe Everyone !
BeenThereB4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:25 AM   #34

Rand McNally is out of the RV GPS game, now focused on commercial trucking and boating industries. BTW, RM defines end of life for map updates as 3 years old.

I bought a cheap OHREX truck/RV GPS for $70 off Amazon, it is accurate and has always guided me correctly. That said it is IMO, somewhat clunky and clumsy to use compared to Garmin and RM.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:28 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Nailed it. Google Maps or CoPilot RV is way better than any stand alone GPS. I bought the Garmin 770 RV 5 years ago thinking it would be a navigational savior. I was so wrong. Google Maps is far superior in every way.

My wife is a fantastic navigator. She runs Google Maps on her phone when we are traveling. I run CoPilot RV on my tablet on the dash. I run google maps on my phone also on the dash. I can ask her to find us a gas station around 200 miles away. She will find a station, zoom in, street view and ensure we can get in and out without issues in just a minute or two. Same with finding a place to eat. Same with finding interesting places to stop along the way.

The garmin is nothing more than a dash ornament that lets me know elevation and speed limit. Its way to cumbersome to use, especially while moving.

I could go on and on about why google maps is better than a stand alone GPS system.
I can tell you from personal experience that Co-Pilot is as useless as the road it sent me down!
First time in 17 years of RVing, never had an issue!
I usually check the routes before hand, but sometimes you canít check every 1/10th of a mile for a 400 mile drive, itís just not possible!

Garmin RV GPS for me. Garmin is the only real GPS to use. Apple and google maps is good for a car, but not for large vehicle and/or towing!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:45 AM   #36

Garmin
Morning Route Verification on Google.
Truckers atlas for road identification if I have a limitation question.
Wife/husband (Navigator) real time google search if question arises during transit ops.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:59 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Garmin RV GPS for me. Garmin is the only real GPS to use. Apple and google maps is good for a car, but not for large vehicle and/or towing!
Agreed. Wife runs Google Maps and I run the RV780. If they don't agree we try to figure out why, but the Garmin gets the nod if we're not sure. I trust it to keep me off roads that are not RV friendly, and it has mostly done a pretty good job of that, though sometimes it takes a longer route than Google suggests.
Old 05-24-2022, 06:22 AM   #38

7200 street pilot, keeps on ticking, just like me. lol
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:12 AM   #39

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've been using one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Touchscreen-T...%2C114&sr=8-10

and have used it for about two years now. For the price it can't be beat, and it works much better than the Rand McNally GPS we did have. It is very good about places you can't go (you enter your (RV's) truck dimensions) for example. It has great routing options (more than any other GPS I've tried) and was well worth the $75 I paid for mine a few years ago.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:25 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom Tom Go Mobile on a 10" android tablet. $12.99/yr for all updates. Shows route, distance to destination, arrival time, current time, speed limit, current speed. Also shows distance to next fuel, rest area and toll booth. If connected to wifi also shows any construction or accident along the way with delay time. If I don't like the route it planned, it recalculates after I turn onto new direction immediately.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 01:43 PM   #41

Garmin rv
Ferg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 12:15 PM   #42

I have a Rand McNally that works OK, except it is very hard to see in the sunlight shining through the nice big windows; even with a sunshade attached. Garmin people, are your units any better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench View Post
Garmin 1090. Big, beautiful, and what we need. I like it more and more every time we use it. Had a Rand which was horrific! Never again for the Rand....
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gps