Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #1

What GPS is best for Class A RV trips?

Hey, I know there are a lot of threads discussing a variety of GPS topics. I inherited a Magellan RV9490T when I bought our RV a few weeks back. I started researching the Magellan and the reviews are terrible. Is this worth using or are there better alternatives to keep a class a coach out of harms way? Also, Is there an RV GPS Ap for my iPhone that anyone would recommend? Thanks for your help in this.
Rick
Ri-Di is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2022, 02:20 PM   #2

Best is the Garmin for most RVer’s. They are RV specific which is a great help.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ri-Di View Post
Hey, I know there are a lot of threads discussing a variety of GPS topics. I inherited a Magellan RV9490T when I bought our RV a few weeks back. I started researching the Magellan and the reviews are terrible. Is this worth using or are there better alternatives to keep a class a coach out of harms way? Also, Is there an RV GPS Ap for my iPhone that anyone would recommend? Thanks for your help in this.
Rick
We have a new Garmin and so far so good. For an iPhone app to stay out of "harms way" try TruckMap. Safe enough for truckers is safe enough for me.
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #4

We currently have Garmin and, highly recommend it, but have also used Co-Pilot which is an IPHONE app and does allow routing based on RV specific data points.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We have been using a Garmin for RV (old 660 we bought new) and it is great.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:00 PM   #6

I have the Garmin RV780. I wasn't too impressed when I first bought it, but now that I'm familiar with it I find it's actually quite useful. I plan most of my routes in advance, but it's easy to change things on the fly when circumstances change while enroute. I now recommend it.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:06 PM   #7

Garmin's are the best. For an rv you should be able to enter your weight and size. This should keep you off of low underpasses and some bridges.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:15 PM   #8

This trucker/ rv gps is the one I use and works flawlessly every time.
https://tomtom.factoryoutletstore.co...QaAvz6EALw_wcB

Or if that's too expensive you can get an android tablet with a GPS sensor and install the CoPilot RV app.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:37 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ours came with a Garmin nuvi 2797 and use their Base Camp program on my Mac to plan out trips and up load to the Garmin. I double check with google maps and street view.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrule View Post
Ours came with a Garmin nuvi 2797 and use their Base Camp program on my Mac to plan out trips and up load to the Garmin. I double check with google maps and street view.
I had one of those Garmins, it took all night long to download and install map updates. I recently changed over to a Garmin 890.

Rodg
Rodg495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:19 PM   #11

I use the Rand McNally on my Xcite dash unit. It’s decent as ever gps goes.
I tried the trucker app on iOS but wasn’t a fan on the phone for navigation.
Now there is the RV Trip Wizard for phones and tablets. It has a lot of growing pains to go through IMO. There is a forum on iRV2 if you want look at some of the comments. https://www.irv2.com/forums/F287/
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 10:58 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Garmin RV 1090. Still learning how to manipulate some of the functions it makes available, but I really like the clarity and definition of the 10" HD display and its much-improved touch screen. So far playing with it locally, the Fastest Time - Shortest Distance modes are spot on accurate. Much improved over my RV 760 LMT. I do wish it was possible to delete a singular past trip instead of wiping them all out.

It really is amazing all the functions these units are capable of.

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:31 AM   #13

Garmin 1090. Big, beautiful, and what we need. I like it more and more every time we use it. Had a Rand which was horrific! Never again for the Rand....
Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:49 AM   #14

Garmin RV! The only way to go.
Someone mentioned Co-Pilot……..avoid that. I tried it and after setting all my sizes and weights and lengths it still sent me down a 2 lane road in VA that would’ve been questionable with a small PuP!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gps