Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2022, 08:10 PM   #1

What grease for my chassis and driveshaft?

I recently bought a 2018 Aria 3401 and I’m working my way through maintenance. I want to lube chassis components and driveshaft, essentially anything with a zerk fitting. Reading the Freightliner chassis manual the specs on grease are similar but not identical. Mostly lithium 12-hydroxy stearate grease Grade 2 with EP. Some places don’t say lithium and some don’t say EP. If I get an EP lithium that’s grade 2 can I use it everywhere? Thanks
ChiefBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2022, 08:50 PM   #2

Your chassis should have a lubrication chart in the manual. Some places call in regular moly grease. I think a safe way to find out is visit or call a Freightliner facility and inquire, I suspect they use the same grease in all fittings.
EP = Extreme Pressure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:42 AM   #3

If you get service at a manufacturer's shop they will probably have the correct greases to meet specs. Most other shops are going have a barrel of grease and that's what will get used. I try to use bentonite grease on the brakes but it can be hard to find.
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 06:30 AM   #4

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Moly Fortified Grease

Retired now but I can say years of experience using a Moly fortified grease in Fleet operation for front end, chassis and driveline is the way to go. We used to trade at 4 to 5 hundred thousand miles mostly due to warranty and we never had a shortage of buyers.
I will close with saying if you have any doubt with anything, always go with Mfg. Recommendation.
Old 04-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have been using Lucas Red-n-Tacky for many years. Never had a reason to consider anything else!
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #6

I went to my Freightliner dealer and they use Mystik JT-6 red grease. I bought a couple of tubes from their parts department. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
ChiefBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBob View Post
I went to my Freightliner dealer and they use Mystik JT-6 red grease. I bought a couple of tubes from their parts department. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Just to be clear. The dealer is using Mystik JT-6 red grease on everything with a zerk fitting? It would be nice to eliminate one of my grease guns.

Thanks!
vseasport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #8

I use this red multi-purpose high temp grease on everything. Front end, leveling jacks and tow bar. Very good for drive shaft too. One grease for everything. I grease once a year.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQ4DIM....1FUC3YMUOK6RD
mr.tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:02 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
I use this red multi-purpose high temp grease on everything. Front end, leveling jacks and tow bar. Very good for drive shaft too. One grease for everything. I grease once a year.

X-2
Old 04-25-2022, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBob View Post
Same here for the last 15 or so years. I use this one grease for everything from lawn tractor, to my John Deere tractor, to my Toyota SUV, trailers and my Discovery.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:27 AM   #11

I used to use the tacky grease, and no, one grease for all is not accurate. manufactures specify for different moving parts.

you may want to look at the the Valvoline™ Palladium MOLY Grease with 3% molybdenum disulfide solid lubricant. read about it, perfect for u-joints, driveshafts, not for wheel bearings.

after reading about this type (there are others) I recently transitioned to it after using tacky forever. I still use it on other things.

Just another idea, safe travels.
gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 06:46 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.tommy View Post
This is what I use.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:04 AM   #13

I use...Axle u-joints and front end

https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-Syn...e%2C103&sr=1-2
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
I have been using Lucas Red-n-Tacky for many years. Never had a reason to consider anything else!
I have found this to be an excellent grease as well. I use it on everything that has a grease fitting, from my lawn tractor to my RV. Haven't found a bad Lucas product yet.

Personal experience: Moly based grease just doesn't want to stay in the joints. Seems to get pushed out too easy. Just my experience, not to mention it makes a mess.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis