Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
what happens when a tire goes bad

I have 6 tires, when a tire goes bad on the rear, one of the duals goes bad what happens, how do you know?
dutch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
worst is tread seperation. Check at the base of the tread for cracks and splits. Next is sidewall cracking. Very fine cracks are usually safe but large cracks are a nono. The tire makers (not dealers) say 7 to 10 years max. Do not go over 10 years no matter how good they look. Some on these threads will say 5 years, But I think the people that made the tires know more.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
As noted, any knots or separation is time to stop running the tire.

When running on the road, you will hear a muffled whomp and maybe a little shake. Head for the should and stop and check the tires. If the thread turns loose, the belt will whip around and shred everything in the wheel well. I knew a fellow in Oklahoma that had a Firestone let go on his rear dually (class C) and he was out $18,000 in repairs. I tore up the whole rear corner of the RV, broke the propane lines, lost his brakes, tore up the fresh water and one of the waste tanks. Luckily his insurance company picked up the repair.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
can you drive on 3 rears?

how far?
how fast ?
can you go?
dutch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
With one tire gone, you will be putting twice as much load on the remaining tire on that side. You can slow down and limp a ways, but the remaining tire will most likely be damages from heat and overloading. I would replace it as well when you replace the bad tire.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Our experience with tires going bad has been bad to catastrophic. On out travel trailer our first tire failure did $750.00 in damage. Our second failure did no damage but, both street side tires went down and had to be replaced before we could move the trailer from the emergency pull off lane on I 75 N. of Lake City. The third tire failure occurred on I 75 just N. of Lake Panasoffkee, causing $10,000.00 in damage. Please note that I am meticulous, when it comes to tire maintenance. EW never had tires that exceeded 36 months (according to the DOT born on date), and our travel trailer was not over weight. We employed a weight distribution hitch and towed with a 1 ton dually. We, un fortunately, were never in a position to purchase higher weight range tires as we were force to purchase tire in emergency situations. Call me stupid, but when we had a tire issue all of the tires got replaced. We have run Michelin: EP - Rib tires on the 1 ton truck and have accumulated, 75,000.00 miles in six years, without a problem. Our experience when a tire went down was, at best a show, a puff of white smoke and tire debris in the best case. In the catastrophic case, we had a puff of smoke followed by tire debris and insulation and wood from the travel trailer. On all occasions when we took the travel trailer to a tire shop, after an incident: We were asked why we were replacing the remaining three tires and the spare because the remaining tires appeared to be in good shape. When I asked our regular mechanic about our tire issues: all he could offer was that the tire were manufactured in China. Needless to say, we no longer have the travel trailer and have up graded to a Class A DP.
So, my advice would be: Buy good tires, keep up with tire temperature and pressure, load and weight distribution, and tire age. Also, never let your insurance lapse because, it is not if you’ll experience a tire failure but when you’ll experience a tire failure.
hwyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How do you know?

Depends on what you mean by "Bad" For starters I am a believer in Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems like Smart Tire or Pressure pro.. If a tire is low, I'd like to know about it, How would you like to check your tire pressure every five minutes of every day even at 55mph? Well with a TPMS you can do that.. I've had it inform me of a low tire before it became a flat tire.. Saved the tire and all secondary damge.

Beyond that.. If a front tire tread seperates, Well, remember the ford exploders, also called Roll-a-matics. That can happen.

If it's a rear tire, it can tear out plumbing electrical and in some rigs propane lines, Major damage. Not to mention body damage.

But if you want to know how to tell if a tire is going bad before that happens.. Inspection, Inspection, Inspection.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch99 View Post
can you drive on 3 rears?

how far?
how fast ?
can you go?
If you drive on 3 rear tires, the bad one will tear up anything around it. I ahd a rear blow out once, it tore up quite a few things. Have you seen what happens in Nascar when they blow a tire, it does a lot of damage!
Dirtbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #9

Well I got no warning until one of the dually tires blew. I was very loud and that will be your first indication of trouble. I was able to drive it slowly for 6 miles to a tire repair shop and had it replaced but a few days after that the other tire on that side blew out in the same loud way. I replaced all of the remaining tires after that. I am currently in the market for tire covers and will religiously keep the air in the new tires at 90 lbs. I do not recommend letting the tires blow out before replacing them.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Boooom! Maybe Booom Booom! And, you may hear of parts being ripped off the coach.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:53 AM   #11

I just put a Pressure Pro system on my MH. I work on the Interstate and we pick up rubber all the time. Most tires found have good tread on them. There are many items that fall of semi's and other trucks. Huge bolts, reflectors that are in the highway, screws falling out of a construction truck, all these things (and more) can give you a blowout or flat. On duals, you won't know there is a problem until the tire is completely deflated and either making noise or shredding. IMO, a pressure monitoring system is the only way I know of to give you some peace of mind.
CharlieTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:27 AM   #12

I just had a friend post a month ago on the Monaco owners forum that his front right tire belt came off and there was NO warning as to pressure loss on the TPMS prior to this happening. If the tire is old or has been damaged and the belt separates you may not have a warning. TPMS is great for detecting an air loss due to a puncture but DO NOT depend on it for the ultimate warning. My friends tire was only three years old but must have been run low or damaged by impact some time before that caused the failure. Sometimes the impact that causes the damage maybe far enough in the past that you forget that it happened. There is no real solution to checking tires other than taking them off the wheel and haveing an expert look at them inside and out but that may not detect damage. Looking at the outside of the tire is basically just a cosmetic check unless that belt has actually started to separate. If you look at the trouble of having a tire fixed on the road, the possible motor home damage and the danger it can be safer and cheaper to replace the tires at the recommended 6-7 years life from the DOT date.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:26 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
When this happened, I did not know I'd blown a tire! I hit a curb at a narrow bridge approach. Damned near rolled the moho! And then she settled back down and rolled down the road just like normal.

I was middleman in a caravan of 3, had no idea I had a flat until tail end charlie called me on the cel phone. We put the spare on and continued, after calling ahead to order a new tire a days drive down the road.

Almost made it too. Inner on that side had a catastrophic tread separation the next day, 30 minutes after we passed the (closed for the day) tire shop where I was buying new tires in the morning. The one was pretty obvious. BOOM FLAP FLAP FLAP FLAP. The tread came off completely. We were able to limp a mile into a reast area, and road service replaced both tires there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	narrow bridge.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	12340  
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

A blown tire bent the wheel like that? Hard to believe...!
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote