Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #421

Finally got the old girl winterized, we have been working most weekends and hadn't had time so I kept the cabinets open and a space heater inside.

Tried blowing out with air, but for some reason the from kitchen faucet wouldn't blow out, so tore apart the bed to access the water pump and hooked up the the antifreeze bottle to it, but at least it's done now
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harricat55 View Post
Our Atwood electric/propane hot water heater would not heat water using electric mode. I read that the element had probably went bad so this weekend I changed it out. This was not a difficult job if you pull the hot water tank out completely. The element was caked in calcium and rust but what was disturbing the electrical wiring connected to the element had gotten so hot that it had melted one of the wire nuts breaking the connection . So I replace the element and the relay and cleaned up all of the wiring and I now have hot water using the electric mode. My question if anyone knows, 'would the calcium buildup cause a short causing the wiring to basically fry?'.
Wiring probably burned from a bad connection calcium build up will not short out Element
Adoyle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoyle52 View Post
Wiring probably burned from a bad connection calcium build up will not short out Element

I don’t mean to disagree with you but calcium buildup can and will lead to element failure. The calcium will cause corrosion to form between the metal casing around the heating element allowing pinholes to form. Water then gets into the insulator and grounds the element. After the element shorts inside the water heater it will cause the amperage to increase to the point it burns the wire terminals. Calcium buildup can also damage the element by acting as an insulation around the outside of the element. This results in damage to the element and again my result in failure.
MyFirstRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 04:47 PM   #424

I had the faded nose cap painted with Sikkens paint and 2 clear coat applications. Should be good to go for a long time,,, I hope.
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #425

Winnebago Owners Club
sikkins paint,,I painted sikkens paint on dump trucks for years

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskrbina View Post
I had the faded nose cap painted with Sikkens paint and 2 clear coat applications. Should be good to go for a long time,,, I hope.
Sikkins is the best paint for the job,,,I used it for years while was building dump trucks for Heil in Atlanta...its a pleasure to spray,,very user friendly..
Old 12-24-2017, 11:03 PM   #426

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Refrigerator died...
Backup camera died...
12 vdc port in dash died...
HDMI cable went bad...
Engine hatch latch would not stay latched...
OTA automatic antenna died...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:40 AM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboss619 View Post
Sikkins is the best paint for the job,,,I used it for years while was building dump trucks for Heil in Atlanta...its a pleasure to spray,,very user friendly..
tboss619,
Can Sikkens color match OEM paint, given they have paint codes? I had a local body shop do some touch up with DuPont paint (3 colors) and it matched well.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:55 PM   #428

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Had the local Cummins service dealer send a tech out and pull annual fluid samples, i.e. iSX 15 engine oil/coolant, Allison 4000MH trans, Onan 12.5KW generator oil/coolant for lab analysis. This is something I do annually to monitor performance.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 06:47 AM   #429

Hoping to get my Norcold 1200 out today and my new LG in it's place. :-)
Old 12-26-2017, 07:40 AM   #430

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipS View Post
Hoping to get my Norcold 1200 out today and my new LG in it's place. :-)
Pics? Let us know how it goes please!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:18 AM   #431

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dometic stops working when outside temps above 60

New Thermocouple in the Dometic Frig. Gas would go into fault mode when outside temperatures were above 60 degrees.

1999 Southwind 35S – Southwind by Fleetwood – sporting its new paint job

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 10:17 AM   #432

Tiffin Owners Club
Grandkids always close screen door by using the plastic slide, popping it out of its track. The good news is, they shut the screen door! Two out of three of grandfather's RV entry rules, along with wipe the little feet on the mat. Not bad. So, I bought a handle/bar that attaches to the screen door.
Blessed that this was my only problem last season!
Old 01-06-2018, 07:09 PM   #433

Within the last month for my new-to-me '99 Coachmen Sportscoach MBS 380:
- Finished putting down new vinyl plank flooring
- Installed new recliners
- Installed new dinette table and chairs
- Replaced front suspension height control valve links after one fell off due to a disintegrated rubber bushing and brought the suspension to the bump stops
- Replaced 50A service receptacle and repaired cord (Yes, I forgot to unplug. It was a bad week)
- Ordered OBD-II adapter cable and a wireless scanner for reading a Cummins fault code I picked up
- Registered on the Cummins Quickserve site
- Ordered fuel filters
- Bought materials for replacing the macerator hose

Tomorrow:
- Replace macerator hose
- Scour holding tank
- Diagnose fridge not cooling (Not working on either AC or LP, so not optimistic)
- Inspect rear height control valve link bushings
- Begin chasing air system leaks
Pandion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandion View Post
Within the last month for my new-to-me '99 Coachmen Sportscoach MBS 380:
- Finished putting down new vinyl plank flooring
- Installed new recliners
- Installed new dinette table and chairs
- Replaced front suspension height control valve links after one fell off due to a disintegrated rubber bushing and brought the suspension to the bump stops
- Replaced 50A service receptacle and repaired cord (Yes, I forgot to unplug. It was a bad week)
- Ordered OBD-II adapter cable and a wireless scanner for reading a Cummins fault code I picked up
- Registered on the Cummins Quickserve site
- Ordered fuel filters
- Bought materials for replacing the macerator hose

Tomorrow:
- Replace macerator hose
- Scour holding tank
- Diagnose fridge not cooling (Not working on either AC or LP, so not optimistic)
- Inspect rear height control valve link bushings
- Begin chasing air system leaks
Do you have a Cummins diesel?

From a Cummins email:
"There was a gradual shift from J1708 to J1939 between 2004 and 2007. Any engines prior to 2004 are most likely to be exclusively J1708. Engines from 2004 – 2007 are likely to have both protocols available. After 2007 it’s most likely going to be J1939 (with the odd exception). The ISX has been around for some time, so check the engine manufacture date to get a better idea of the communication protocol, rather than the engine model."

The OBDII dongle and the Cummins fault app only supports J1939. So, it's doubtful that it will work on your 1999.
I am currently building a scan tool for J1708. Uses the ELM325 chipset. (not the 327 which supports J1939).

Do you have the "diagnostics" switch next to the Deutsch cable end near the steering column? If so, you can read faults by blinking a light on the dashboard without needing a scan tool.

Tags
repair