Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
My oil pan has 2 drain plugs I remove the top plug and remove 2 1/2 gallons then the bottom plug for the second 2 1/2 gallons the filter holds around a gallon poke a hole in it to lighten it before removing it.
^^^^
Same as what I do.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 06:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGM37 View Post
You can actually install the Fumoto Valve before your first oil change, I did and didn’t lose a drop of oil. You remove your oil filler cap on the valve cover and secure a shop vacuum hose in the hole and secure and seal with duct tape. Turn the shop vac on and pull the drain plug and install the Fumoto valve, used this trick several time.
BMGM37,
Well, your procedure is right EXCEPT, there's more to it on various engines. For instance, on ours, which is like many, many CAT owners out there, you have an additional HOLE to seal up. And that is, the BLOWBY tube!!!!

Some diesel engines have closed crankcase ventilation systems and don't have a *Blowby* tube. I don't know how the *vacuum* trick will work on those. But, on ones WITH a blowby tube, like our C-7 CAT, the end of that tube, MUST be sealed up with duct tape and whatever. If you don't, guess what, you're gonna have a BIG MESS even with the vacuum system in place, on the oil fill port.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:58 PM   #31

I cut a 55G drum at 12" from the bottom for a drain pan, each inch of height holds slightly more than one gallon.
I will not use a Fumuto type drain valve, it would be the lowest point under the MH since the oil drain plug is in the crankcase bottom.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I cut a 55G drum at 12" from the bottom for a drain pan, each inch of height holds slightly more than one gallon.
I will not use a Fumuto type drain valve, it would be the lowest point under the MH since the oil drain plug is in the crankcase bottom.
55 gal drum is what i used also and set it on my creeper to pull it out. Have an old battery transfer pump to put it in the jugs.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #33

I use one very similar to this one. My Kitty cat holds 23 quarts so this one has plenty of capacity.
https://www.amazon.com/FloTool-Drain...SZKJ5C0XBRZQZC
desertdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:49 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I'm thinking about putting one of those Fumoto valves on with the first oil change I do, but in reading on line I see that some guys claim that in some situations the valve hangs down and may contact the ground in certain incline, etc situations. I don't have the coach here to look, it's over at the storage yard, but I'll have to get under there and take a look to see how exposed and vulnerable to that it may be.

I installed a fumoto valve only found 2 problems, it takes twice as long to drain (34) quarts, and it can’t drain all the oil due to it raising drain hole.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:16 AM   #35

I bought a 26qt oil container at Discount Auto back in 2016 and also added a fumoto style (EZ Drain) drain plug on the coach. I've had one on my 2006 Tundra since '06 and it is such a wonderful device.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
I installed a fumoto valve only found 2 problems, it takes twice as long to drain (34) quarts, and it can’t drain all the oil due to it raising drain hole.
Hey Roost,
Do ya warm up the engine prior to draining? I've done it with a cold engine and a warm engine. By far, the warm or hot engine is SERIOUSLY faster in that, that oil is like water when it drains. But, on a cold or luke warm engine, it's like 80 wt gear oil. Waaaaaay too long to drain. Letting even our engine, the C-7 idle 'till it gets warm, could take a week. So, I take it out and drive it for a few miles before draining. That makes the flow considerably smoother and faster.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdd View Post
I use one very similar to this one. My Kitty cat holds 23 quarts so this one has plenty of capacity.
https://www.amazon.com/FloTool-Drain...SZKJ5C0XBRZQZC
My pan looks similar to this, although I didn't get it on Amazon. Some cautions regardless of what you do: DO NOT get an open top pan. Oil weighs about 10 pounds a gallon so 24 qts weighs something over 65 pounds. Pulling that out from under the coach will make waves, and that means a mess. I have taken 3 serious hits on my oil pan, enough to put dents in. I won't use a Fumoto, but I do use this on my rig, my truck and former cars. https://www.uniquetruck.com/section/...nger+oil+drain Fram sold these years ago.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:25 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use a NAPA drain pan about 16 quarts. But my cummings is about 18 quarts to drain.

On my cummings I have two drain plugs. A upper and lower one. My upper plug will drain about 11 quarts, which I first drain. The plug at the bottom of the engine oil pan drains the rest.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:42 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Hey Roost,
Do ya warm up the engine prior to draining? I've done it with a cold engine and a warm engine. By far, the warm or hot engine is SERIOUSLY faster in that, that oil is like water when it drains. But, on a cold or luke warm engine, it's like 80 wt gear oil. Waaaaaay too long to drain. Letting even our engine, the C-7 idle 'till it gets warm, could take a week. So, I take it out and drive it for a few miles before draining. That makes the flow considerably smoother and faster.
Scott

Should always drain it when the engine has been run and warmed up. It circulates the impurities and stuff that can settle. You want that to drain out when you change it!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:58 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
Should always drain it when the engine has been run and warmed up. It circulates the impurities and stuff that can settle. You want that to drain out when you change it!

Agreed, you should always warm up a engine before a oil change.

Thing of a cup of hot chocolate that has set and cooled over time. When you pour it out, a layer of chocolate stay's in the bottom of the cup vs a stirred up cup that will completely drain out. An oil pan that is drained cold will build up a layer of sludge on the bottom of the pan over time.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I had to replace the aluminum oil pan on my ISX after cracking the corner going into a fuel station...so much for designing so that can’t happen. Wanted to save the 12 gallons of oil with 3K miles on it. Put a small shop vacuum on the crankcase vent tube so no loss of oil while installing the Fumoto valve on the side of the oil pan.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 02:13 PM   #42

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbluesky View Post
That just doesn't exist with modern filters and detergent oil. Any impurities and stuff that can settle has already been circulated thru the filter and removed. The only thing left is sludge, if your engine has any, and no amount of engine warming and oil heating will remove that. The only reason to warm up the engine is to make the oil flow better, it eases removal.

Tags
diy