Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #1

What high capacity oil drain pan are you DIY guys using?

I normally do all my own maintenance on my cars. I'd like to change my own oil on the RV but I need to buy a new pan to hold all the oil, because I don't have one large enough to hold all the oil in the Cummins at one time. Looking on line, it appears that my 2005 Cummins ISL400 holds 24 quarts. I really don't want to deal with the mess of trying to get the drain plug back in half way through to empty the pan and then continue to drain whatever is left.

What are you guys using? Preferably I'd like to find one that will allow mt to seal it and transport the oil to a disposal facility within the pan. I found a 58 quart Hopkins, but it's $100 and unless I have to, I'd really prefer not to spend that much, plus I don't need on THAT big. I'm guessing something in the 35 - 40 quart range would work well enough, assuming I do the Onan 7500w generator at the same time.

Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #2

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-17922-D.../dp/B0002SR7SS

I also had three 5 gallon plastic gas cans that I would use to pour the old oil into...

I used to fill 2 1/2 of them when changing oil in my boat...

On my diesel trucks, I'd drain to the pan and then pour it into one of the "used oil" gas cans, to take the oil for final disposal..
Old 10-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #3

I use 2 five gallon buckets. Installed a Fumoto valve. One bucket gets about half full I shut the valve and swap buckets. When I am done i pour the used oil back into the 6 one gallon jugs and take to local car dealer.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #4

I have been using a plastic storage container with a snap on lid for 7 years. Former Christmas light storage container. Works like a snap for my 19 quart Cat and all my vehicles.
bizzerbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 07:52 PM   #5

I carry a one of these 5 gallon oil pans ($12 Walmart) on my truck for doing oil changes in a campground as a full timer (with cg permission). Most trucks may fill with 24 quarts but will drain out less oil due to oil engine usage. I carry the oil pan in a plastic bag tucked up inside the rear dually fender of the truck next to the underside truck frame. Out of sight and out of mind except when I need it. I then pour the used oil back into the empty new oil containers and return them to Walmart/retail oil store. Another option is to install a drain valve to shut off the flow of oil if you desire to use empty gallon jugs to capture the oil being drained. I recently installed a Fumoto valve to make oil changing easier. https://www.amazon.com/Fumoto-T-204N...f_=ya_aw_od_pi

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:49 PM   #6

I'm thinking about putting one of those Fumoto valves on with the first oil change I do, but in reading on line I see that some guys claim that in some situations the valve hangs down and may contact the ground in certain incline, etc situations. I don't have the coach here to look, it's over at the storage yard, but I'll have to get under there and take a look to see how exposed and vulnerable to that it may be.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:15 PM   #7

Had a Fumoto on my F250 7.3 for 17 years no issues.
01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01blueox View Post
Had a Fumoto on my F250 7.3 for 17 years no issues.
I think the issue is more related to diesel pushers and the location of the drain valve in them.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug427 View Post
I think the issue is more related to diesel pushers and the location of the drain valve in them.
Yes I installed the Fumoto on my first change (it's a DP) and immediately was concerned that it looks to be the lowest point on the engine now. Soooo I probably will put back in the normal plug on next change.

To the OP ?, I use a 5 gallon pan like the ones posted above and dump oil back into new oil containers when done.

I'm a side note my county accepts waste oils and such. I get some funny looks when I go in there with 20+ gallons of fluids sometimes and piles of filters. They think I'm a shop or something but I just have too many toys!!!
nbluesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #10

If your Fumoto valve makes contact with the ground, then there would be other signs of past road contact on the bottom of the oil pan. I would not believe any vehicle manufacture would allow a bottomed out suspension to get a oil pan within 2-3 inches of ground contact. Now if you drive over protruded rocks and debris, than that may be a problem and there would already be evidence of that.
Like you stated, the best thing is to take a look at your drain valve ground clearance and then decide.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:11 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've installed a Fumoto valve on three different DP's, all with the ISL/L9 engine (2005 Diplomat, 2014 Dutch Star and 2019 Dutch Star), I've never had an issue. I bought the one with the nipple so it will hold a clear drain tube.

I use Rotella oil that I buy at Walmart in the 2.5 gallon jugs. The first draining of the oil won't help you, but I save the empty containers for the next oil change. I simply place the Fumoto hose into the 2.5 jug, fill it up and take it to the local Auto Zone.

The Fumoto valve can be installed two ways before you change the oil the first time. I just put a drain pan under the drain plug and have the Fumoto valve ready to go. I remove the plug and quickly install the Fumoto valve. I get about three or four ounces of oil on my hand. When I'm done draining the engine oil, I remove the Fumoto, clean up the threads on the pan and reinstall. Others, hook up a Shop Vac to the oil fill pipe and then remove the drain plug.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've installed a Fumoto valve on three different DP's, all with the ISL/L9 engine (2005 Diplomat, 2014 Dutch Star and 2019 Dutch Star), I've never had an issue. I bought the one with the nipple so it will hold a clear drain tube.

I use Rotella oil that I buy at Walmart in the 2.5 gallon jugs. The first draining of the oil won't help you, but I save the empty containers for the next oil change. I simply place the Fumoto hose into the 2.5 jug, fill it up and take it to the local Auto Zone.

The Fumoto valve can be installed two ways before you change the oil the first time. I just put a drain pan under the drain plug and have the Fumoto valve ready to go. I remove the plug and quickly install the Fumoto valve. I get about three or four ounces of oil on my hand. When I'm done draining the engine oil, I remove the Fumoto, clean up the threads on the pan and reinstall. Others, hook up a Shop Vac to the oil fill pipe and then remove the drain plug.

Doug, with a filter, your engine should take 26 quarts. The oil filter needs to be prefilled, prior to installation.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #13

Thanks, Don. Looks like I'll just make a mess the first time I change it and try to get the plug back in and the go with the Fumoto valve from there on out. I appreciate your input, and of course the input of all the others as well.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:16 PM   #14

My oil pan has 2 drain plugs I remove the top plug and remove 2 1/2 gallons then the bottom plug for the second 2 1/2 gallons the filter holds around a gallon poke a hole in it to lighten it before removing it.

Tags
diy